X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any updates on this?

Comment

• longdayjake

Dont expect anything until well after this election.

Comment

• What does the election have to do with anything? The guy who's most likely to ban anything is already in office... I want steel cased ammo already!!!

Comment

• Dogue
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

I think that was just a time reference...in all reality I wouldn't plan on this until after the New Year (and New Year's Day also has nothing to do with threatened "assault rifle" bans). Don't believe me? Look when this thread started.
          Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Originally posted by swifttal View Post
            What does the election have to do with anything? The guy who's most likely to ban anything is already in office... I want steel cased ammo already!!!
            Well if I was a ammo manufacturer, I would want to know who the joker in office was going to be to determine if it was worthwhile to introduce a new ammo line.. Not good business to introduce ammo for a gun that has been banned..

And if you think there is enough of a military market in the U.S. for an ammo maker, the military only accounts for about 1.5 billion rounds of the 15 billion anual U.S. ammunition market, or only about 10%..

flk k

Comment

• Quick question: There's already plenty of 5.56 steel cased on the market and for whatever thier reason (no need to argue why) most people don't want to feed it through an AR platform. Why would this be any different?

Comment

• Probably for fear of wear on the chamber.. flk k

Comment

• most people I know dont want to run it during rapid fire drills as they say the lacquer on the cases starts to come off under heat and gum up the chamber and what not. They are talking about rapid fire of 200-300 rounds.

Comment

• Dogue
                    Warrior
                    • Mar 2011

I think these cases have a different coating and not the thick lacquer that a lot of the steel cased stuff has so that shouldn't be an issue.

When .223 ammo was going for well over $.40/rd the steel cased stuff was very popular but once prices got closer most people went back to brass. Since all Grendel ammo is expensive I think a cheap (fun shooting and plinking) ammo will sell like crack. I don't shoot steel cased in any of my other guns but if the price is right on this ammo I'll be in, no doubt.
                    Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Originally posted by bdevr View Post
                      Quick question: There's already plenty of 5.56 steel cased on the market and for whatever thier reason (no need to argue why) most people don't want to feed it through an AR platform. Why would this be any different?
                      There are some AR's that run fine on Wolf, and others that don't. Bravo Company did one article on their "Filthy 14", that ran over 31,000 rounds of Wolf, with two rudimentary cleanings involving taking a toothbrush to the BCG, bore-snaking it, and adding more Slip2000 EWL. BCM has very high quality AR15's with 4150 CMV, chrome-lined barrels with 5.56 NATO chambers, HPT/MPI bolts, M16 carriers, proper extractor springs/buffers, and other commonly-overlooked small parts that the after-market drops the ball on frequently.

Since the SAAMI Grendel chamber uses a .300" neck, the steel case should run well through SAAMI chambers.

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

I have a BFH Bravo Company barrel, and two Bushmaster barrels that won't feed steel case ammo reliably. I have four stag arm barrels that work perfectly. I have friends with the exact same barrels and they run great." Go figure". I think I would try them in your rifle before I made a big purchase.

Comment

• Fair enough, I appreciate the answers. I'll stick with brass for the ability to reload it. In the mean time I'll keep trying to spread the word and get more people on board with the hope that greater demand will equal greater & cheaper supply...

Comment

• rasp65
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

I have heard about this mythical steel cased ammo since joining the old board. It seems the only times they make announcements is on April 30. Coincidence, I think not!

Comment

• hellcat370

well Wolf isn't known for being speedy when it comes to getting Grendel products to market, but they do happen..... eventually.

Comment

• Well just got off the phone with wolf!!!!! The steel case rounds are in quality control (final stage) and should be available for December release. They told me that it was moving along faster than last reported with AA doing all the testing. I HOPE THIS REALLY HAPPENS SOON. My wife is getting tired of spending so much money on ammo, especially when I have 5 different cartridges I have to buy for.

Comment

Working...
                                X