Wolf 6.5 Grendel steel case Ammo update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 Grendel steel cased ammo has been in the USA for over a year now. Its just not available for sale.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

You mean that T&E ammo Alexander received hasn't been shot up yet?

Comment

• I read that Wolf said at the SHOT show a couple of years ago that the cost of the 6.5 steel Grendel would be comparable to their .223 &7.62 x39. I think I read that Graf &Son will will distribute that ammo. I go the Graf & Son web site and see that Wolf .223 ammo sells for about $7.50 and Grendel ammo (will) sell for about $16.00. I then cross check by comparing the cost of same-same brass. I conclude that the cost of Wolf 6.5 Grendel will cost twice as much as much as Wolf .223. ...Wait the shipping on the Grendel will probably be cheaper, because I probably cant afford to buy as much.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
          I read that Wolf said at the SHOT show a couple of years ago that the cost of the 6.5 steel Grendel would be comparable to their .223 &7.62 x39. I think I read that Graf &Son will will distribute that ammo. I go the Graf & Son web site and see that Wolf .223 ammo sells for about $7.50 and Grendel ammo (will) sell for about $16.00. I then cross check by comparing the cost of same-same brass. I conclude that the cost of Wolf 6.5 Grendel will cost twice as much as much as Wolf .223
          I think your analysis is a little bit flawed, because cost of the case is only a fraction of the cost of the loaded cartridge.

The Prvi ammo you checked undoubtedly has brass cases, not steel:
          Graf & Sons, the reloading authority, has a wide selection of reloading supplies, shooting supplies, ammo and more.

Compare Prvi 6.5 Grendel 110gr FMJ @ $15.99 to Prvi .223 Remington 62gr FMJ @ $9.59 and the Grendel ammo price is 1.667 times that of the .223 ammo.

Wolf .223 Remington 62gr FMJ @ $7.19 -- Multiply that by 1.667, and the result is (steel case) Wolf 6.5 Grendel 110gr FMJ @ $11.99

Wolf 7.62x39 is listed at $6.99

Comment

• So steel case ammo is available or not..

Comment

• Dogue
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bronz View Post
              So steel case ammo is available or not..
              Not yet in grendel.
              Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Originally posted by stanc View Post
                ...Grendel ammo price is 1.667 times that of the .223 ammo...
                How close is this price ratio to the ratio of cartridge weights for the two?

Comment

• stanc
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                  How close is this price ratio to the ratio of cartridge weights for the two?
                  I can't say, Joe. Don't know weights of the steel case rounds, and don't remember weights of the brass case cartridges.

Comment

• Originally posted by stanc View Post
                    I can't say, Joe. Don't know weights of the steel case rounds, and don't remember weights of the brass case cartridges.
                    Same for me -- I'd a' posted the ratio if I could remember!

Comment

• Could the first batch of 6.5 Grendel steel case ammo have been in the cargo hold of Malaysia Flt 370?

Comment

• TheOTHERmaninblack
                        Warrior
                        • Apr 2011

It's in Putin's basement. The ammo, I mean. Not the plane. Although....

Comment

• i'm kinda glad it's not out yet. I took a vow that I would stay sober on St Paddys day if it came out. Only 3 hrs left.

Comment

• rasp65
                            Warrior
                            • Mar 2011

Good news Clarkie steel cased Grendel did not get released. I heard it will be released on 4/1/14.

Comment

• Dear rasp65,
                              Is it OK if I call you rasp?
                              I have also heard that the Wolf cartridges will be available on 04/01/2014. Like you, I cannot reveal my source of this info, but let's just say that there were numerous empty vodka bottles around.
                              At the same time, I think that I have discovered what has been delaying these cartridges. Apparently Wolf had decided to bring their Grendel cartridges to market with the latest-and-greatest projectiles. The main problem is the availability of the two bullets chosen. One of the bullets, designed for the AMU, is of an extremely low-drag design, but somewhat difficult to manufacture. It is understandable that all of the production problems have yet to be solved.

The other bullet is at the forefront of "green" technology, but is only manufactured in New Zealand. From what I understand, the ship transporting the first batch of these bullets went through a huge storm and its cargo got wet, making the bullets unusable (it reminds me of that song: "It's not easy being green").

Anyway, here is some info on the two bullet types:
                              At the U.S. Army's Aberdeen Proving Ground, a team of ballistics technicians, supported by some of the U.S. Army's top sniper instructors, has been quietly developing a radical new dimpled bullet. The exterior of the bullet resembles the dimpled surface of a golf ball.

In recent years, environmental concerns over lead toxicity have inspired efforts to eliminate conventional lead-based ammunition. To protect endangered species from lead poisoning, California has banned hunting altogether on huge tracts of public land.

Comment

• Sounds like all that Vodka affected more than the ability to keep secrets.

We need more info.

The dimpled bullets might work, but keeping things symmetric, hence accurate, appears to be a huge challenge.

Density of organic an inorganic compounds tend to be rather low compared to pure copper or iron. Hence, once could expect the "Bio Bullets" to be rather light compared to even the heaviest for caliber all-copper bullets to maintain spin stability.

Comment

Working...
                                X