• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CadenG66
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2017

Hello from Oklahoma

Hello, everybody! Only been on here a couple days and have already learned tons of information.

I'm in the process of building a 6.5 with the radical firearms upper. I am planning on mounting an Athlon Helos 6-24x50. What rings does everyone recommend for this setup? Thanks!
  • Kilco
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2016

Welcome to the Horde, sir!

As for rings? Well... you will find most guys use a scope mount on thier rifle, and alot of thay depends on the use for the rifle/budget... so spill!

Comment

• Texas
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2016

Welcome to the forum, what part of Oklahoma are you?

Comment

• CadenG66
        Unwashed
        • Oct 2017

It's going to be another long range deer/varmint rifle. I do a lot of hunting in western Kansas. I just didn't know what height I needed to allow proper clearance and still be comfortable. I am from Stillwater, OK

Comment

• just_john
          Chieftain
          • Sep 2012

Welcome to the Clan from the Great Nation of Texas? There are several Grendels north of the river, let us know where you are.

Comment

• Kilco
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by CadenG66 View Post
            It's going to be another long range deer/varmint rifle. I do a lot of hunting in western Kansas. I just didn't know what height I needed to allow proper clearance and still be comfortable. I am from Stillwater, OK
            To be honest I've never used rings on an AR.. always used a scope mount.. just makes life easier and almost all of them will give you proper cheek weld alignment..

For hunting distances you don't need a 20 moa base, so alot of it depends on budget..

I'm a fan of the aero precision mount. Affordable, strong, and made in the u.s. also very lightweight and no bolts sticking out..

Burris PEPR isn't pretty, but it's also affordable and gets the job done..

If you want a QD is suggest either ADM, or Larue. Strong, and repeatable.

If you are still adamant about using rings, you will want high, or probably extra high, depending on the brand.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Welcome to the forum CadenG66. If your going to shoot out to 700-800 yards or further I’d consider a one piece 20 MOA mount. For 1” scopes I bought a Warne for 30 MM scopes there are numerous one piece 20 MOA mounts on the market. The higher elevations above sea level are at an advantage because of the thinner air but closer to sea level I like having the extra elevation provided by a 20 MOA mount (basically adds 20 MOA elevation to your scope).

Comment

• CadenG66
                Unwashed
                • Oct 2017

The Burris PEPR is the one I've been mainly looking at. 600 will more than likely be my range for varmints, 4-500 for big game. I've been doing lots of studying on the ballistics of the Grendel compared to the creedmoor which is what I've been using the past couple years and I've been very impressed. I can't wait to get it ready to roll. Thank you everyone for the quick responses!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out CadenG66. Be sure to post pictures and range report on your build.

Comment

• Drillboss
                    Warrior
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by CadenG66 View Post
                    The Burris PEPR is the one I've been mainly looking at. 600 will more than likely be my range for varmints, 4-500 for big game. I've been doing lots of studying on the ballistics of the Grendel compared to the creedmoor which is what I've been using the past couple years and I've been very impressed. I can't wait to get it ready to roll. Thank you everyone for the quick responses!
                    Welcome. If you go with the PEPR, I can't recommend the QD type. They're really hard to release after they've been tightened down solid. Burris customer service actually suggested that I return mine for a screw mount.

Comment

Working...
                    X