X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by vfrdrvr View Post
    @ Bwaites: thanks for the history. However, as I mentioned before, there are a number of things that still don't add up, to me anyway. No matter. That horse is long dead. Whatever else, however, I do agree wholeheartedly that

Take care.
    No problems, take care and shoot well!!

Comment

Alright guys I'm feeling I should ask the next question, and I am in now way trying to steer the thread in a different direction. What would be a good factory load to run for 5 shot groups punching paper. I am a competent shooter with 20 yrs experience since my 1st pellet gun but am now worried about using 6.5 Grendel factory loaded rounds. I'm a noob to the caliber, not the gun and have plans to bench rest out to 800 yards with my currently available range. For those not reading the previous post its a 24" ".264 lbc" Thanks in advance and I really appreciate such an active thread, I've learned quite a bit in the last few days.

Also does the difference in the chambers the .264 lbc is a wildcat.

Corey
      Last edited by Guest; 02-14-2012, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

There is nothing wrong with the .264 LBC chamber. It was designed specifically to shoot the Amax 123 factory loads well. I don't have one, but my first try would be LBC 123 Amax factory loads, then Hornady factory loads.

The chamber itself was designed by LBC to shoot that bullet especially well. I'm not sure it will shoot it any better than the standard Grendel chamber, because the Grendel chamber seems to shoot everything pretty well and there seem to be some loads that are amazing, even straight out of the factory box.

My 28" barrel shoots factory Hornady 123's into less than 2 MOA 20 shot groups at 1000 yards. That's not good enough to win an F Open competition, but its pretty doggone amazing for a factory load! I really would like to shoot it in good conditions and see how good a 5 shot group I could get.

I suspect the LBC might be capable of similar groups, depending on who chambered it and what barrel it is.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Cbubac View Post
          Alright guys I'm feeling I should ask the next question, and I am in now way trying to steer the thread in a different direction. What would be a good factory load to run for 5 shot groups punching paper. I am a competent shooter with 20 yrs experience since my 1st pellet gun but am now worried about using 6.5 Grendel factory loaded rounds. I'm a noob to the caliber, not the gun and have plans to bench rest out to 800 yards with my currently available range. For those not reading the previous post its a 24" ".264 lbc" Thanks in advance and I really appreciate such an active thread, I've learned quite a bit in the last few days.

Also does the difference in the chambers the .264 lbc is a wildcat.

Corey
          You should have no problems shooting 6.5 Grendel factory rounds. I'd recommend starting with the Hornady "factory" 123 A-Max. If you get the itch to reload, my .264 has a preference for 8208 XBR. It likes the Amaxes and does OK with 108 Scenars (see an earlier post about seating dies). I haven't tried anything lighter. I have a box of 123 SMKs I'm going to try out when I finish some other projects. Hogdon's website has a web based loading guide that will give you a decent starting point. Just start low and work up. So far, mine seems like loads a bit under max.

It will consistently put 5 amaxes into 1/2 inch at 100 and would, I think, do better with a more talented finger on the trigger. I wish I could testify about my 1000 yard groups, but I can't see that far.
          Last edited by Guest; 02-15-2012, 02:20 AM.

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
            There is nothing wrong with the .264 LBC chamber. It was designed specifically to shoot the Amax 123 factory loads well. I don't have one, but my first try would be LBC 123 Amax factory loads, then Hornady factory loads.

The chamber itself was designed by LBC to shoot that bullet especially well. I'm not sure it will shoot it any better than the standard Grendel chamber, because the Grendel chamber seems to shoot everything pretty well and there seem to be some loads that are amazing, even straight out of the factory box.

My 28" barrel shoots factory Hornady 123's into less than 2 MOA 20 shot groups at 1000 yards. That's not good enough to win an F Open competition, but its pretty doggone amazing for a factory load! I really would like to shoot it in good conditions and see how good a 5 shot group I could get.

I suspect the LBC might be capable of similar groups, depending on who chambered it and what barrel it is.

Good luck!
            I thought the LBC chamber was originally designed for the Black Hills 123gr. Sierra load? Did they change it?
            Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
            We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• COTNTOP
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

The best factory load I found is AA 123 Scenars (24" AA Shilen barrel).

Comment

• txgunner00
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by vfrdrvr View Post
                ,... I don't think they way Bill A. and AA handled the situation helped matters very much...
                From what I understand he was trying to prevent out of spec variants from making it to the market and causing problems. I've heard of multiple variants of the .264 lbc from the same manufacturer even. This is not a big deal for someone that really knows what they are getting but 95% of shooters don't get that deep into the details.
                NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  From what I understand he was trying to prevent out of spec variants from making it to the market and causing problems. I've heard of multiple variants of the .264 lbc from the same manufacturer even. This is not a big deal for someone that really knows what they are getting but 95% of shooters don't get that deep into the details.
                  I haven't heard too much about multiple variants on the lbc. Just for S&G I've been chasing and collecting chamber/reamer prints for year or so. I have a couple of them under my desk pad. Most of the variations on the lbc I've seen are very small (.001 in the neck and a bit more in the lead/throat). What have you seen/heard?

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

The search is not finding if for me but there was a manufacturer discussed here that had 2 or 3 different reamer options for the LBC. Mostly just neck differences as you mentioned.
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I can not find a 6.5 Grendel barrel or upper for sale any where!!! But i did find this. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...el-production/

Comment

• jawbone
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2012

Can't find one anywhere? Really? And you could only find an 8 month old article? Pre-Saami? And no others?

This is either a mean-spirited, short-sighted, and wrong-minded post away from goodness, or from someone who is ... well,
                        not very rescourceful, to put it very, very kindly.
                        Last edited by jawbone; 02-18-2012, 06:37 AM.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                          I can not find a 6.5 Grendel barrel or upper for sale any where!!! But i did find this. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...el-production/
                          Im pretty sure Alexander Arms has uppers for sale. I know that people have said that barrels/bolts are a big backlogged, but I'm pretty sure uppers are available.

AA has been in the process of updating and reprofiling barrels, and that has taken longer than planned I think.

Comment

Yes, AA has them on its web site, But there is a 6 week wait, at least. I did call them today.

My apologies for the "Not very resourceful" post, after 4 hrs of searching Google to find an upper or the parts to build an upper, that would ship with in the week. At first I thought I would just wait, but I have money in my pocket, and it's burning a hole! That article has me worried; Why are the barrel manufacturers, that were producing Grendel barrels now refusing to continue production? I don't want a variant of the Grendel chamber. I'm some what of a purist when it comes these sort of matters. I do find the situation surrounding this cartridge very disturbing. If some one could please, post a link to a source, that has a 6.5 Grendel, 24"-26" bull barrel and bolt or a complete upper w/ this barrel for less than $1,100. That will ship with in a week, please help me out!!

Comment

• leopard6.5

Bwild97: Here's a link to someone that says they have 2 in stock:

Here's another to check: http://jtdistributing.net/store/product495.html

I would also check gunbroker.com and ar15.com and search using the word grendel.

Good Luck.

Lee

Comment

Call Templar as well. They regularly sell Grendels.

Comment

Working...
                                X