• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pajasonc
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Smoke View Post
    Hornady 123 gr SST for the win .. Fairly cheap for factory ammo and will do real well if you place your shots in the engine room

If you get into handloading look closely at 120 gr Nosler BT's Great deer bullet
    Federal fusions should be good to go as well. Bc isn't nearly as good but inside 200 yards I don't think you would see the difference and price seems to be about the same as hornady.

Comment

• sneaky one
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

TG--- yes, start reloading!

To the rest on this post, if you can reload- go with the copper expanding rounds.

If u don't reload, buy what you think is good . Then trust it.

Comment

• Kswhitetails
        Chieftain
        • Oct 2016

Grendel Point blank range is 0-220ish yards I'd wager with good shot placement, you could use that Wolf to excellent effect within that 150 yard mark. I would't hesitate. That 7n6 bullet construction was proven so deadly that it was banned in the US for a time because of it's nature. That should say enough about it's terminal performance right there. If it makes a snowflake shake in fear, imagine what that deer is going to think about it.

My two cents.
        Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Here's what one sample of Wolf steel case looks like at 30yds on deer:

123gr ELD-M at 300yds:

123gr SST across a wide range of impact speeds:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Les
            Warrior
            • Oct 2016

I've never used Wolf but, I wouldn't use a non expanding bullet on med game. YMMV
            Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

What about a high yaw sensitive tumbling bullet that turns into sort of a boomerang head-over-heel through medium game?

All the results I'm seeing so far from different people across the US are quick kills on hogs and deer with the 7n6-like 6.5mm projectile.

Doesn't appear to ice pick at all. I can't post the deer pics, but it's pretty brutal, DRT.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                Chieftain
                • Oct 2016

At 30 yds? Wow. That hole must've been huge. Did it exit, do you know?
                Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Les
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2016

Interesting point, but is there any predictability to bullet performance? Where I live we have to use an expanding bullet for big game so my information base is quite small. When I try to use 5.56 55gr factory solids on coyote I've had many run off never to be found, some after being tracked for over a mile. I'd guess hitting major bones would matter. I always endeavor for DRT.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                    Super Moderator
                    • Sep 2014

We have to use expanding bullets on big game here in Utah by law as well. Mulies are considered big game.

I just included the Wolf steel case for those that might be interested in how it performs on tissue.

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Les
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2016

I'd be interested to see what the wound cavity looks like.

Comment

• tpk
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2014

Not sure about the wound cavity. The exit hole on the only hog I've shot with the Wolf FMJ was over an inch in diameter.

Comment

• Les
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

Was penetration straight line or close?

Comment

• 1075 tech
                            Warrior
                            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Kswhitetails View Post
                            At 30 yds? Wow. That hole must've been huge. Did it exit, do you know?
                            On the doe I shot with the SST, there was the small hole in the hide. Under that though..... Every rib was broken from the sternum. I could put my fist through the hole. Neat little hole through the heart but both lungs were liquified. There was no exit. I found the majority of the bullet under the stomach, just under the hide.

Comment

• protozen
                              Unwashed
                              • Jun 2017

At what distance?
                              Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
                              On the doe I shot with the SST, there was the small hole in the hide. Under that though..... Every rib was broken from the sternum. I could put my fist through the hole. Neat little hole through the heart but both lungs were liquified. There was no exit. I found the majority of the bullet under the stomach, just under the hide.
                              Travis Kay
                              http://www.traviskay.ca
                              linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
                              twitter.com/traviskay
                              CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

Comment

• 1075 tech
                                Warrior
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by protozen View Post
                                At what distance?
                                25-30 yards

Comment

Working...
                                X