X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rasp65
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

I found this interesting post today about the temperature stability of AR Comp. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...38#Post2812538

Comment

You know, I've been curious about this stuff. Looks good, but I have a hard time convincing myself that I need another powder.

Comment

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
        I found this interesting post today about the temperature stability of AR Comp. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...38#Post2812538
        Living in Minnesota where you can shoot over a 120 degree temperature swing if you're desperate to shoot enough to brave those extremes, that's why I don't own any ball powder. I personally have deer hunted at -13F, but only once. I don't like feeling imperiled. Anyway, AR-Comp also shines in my LAR-8 pushing 168gr Amax and 150gr TTSX. I haven't had if very long, so those are the only two I've tried.

I keep waiting to hear a file has been created or it for QuickLoad, but nothing so far. I called Alliant for help building that file myself and got someone who though they give advice to reloaders, had never heard of QuickLoad. So, that's a dead end.

The Alliant web site has recipes for a few common calibers and bullets. IE Not the Grendel. The one for the 168gr .308 shot .29 MOA 5-shot group at 100 yards. Blew me away!

Hoot

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

AR-Comp is all I use anymore in the 6.5 G. It doesn't produce the highest velocities, but accuracy and temp insensitivity more than offset the slightly slower speeds. Lot to lot consistency seems to be good too.

I use the exact same recipe for both the 123gr Scenar and 123gr A-Max, and get good results in both Grendel and LBC chambers, and also in both cut and button rifled barrels.
          Drifter

Comment

Hey Drifter what groups have you gotten using comp and 123 scenars?

Comment

Been jacking around with 8208 and the Amax 123 for my backup deer caliber since I got good performance from it earlier this spring. Still getting great accuracy, but had a problem with the 2.29 COL not fitting into my magazine without dragging. Kinda late to try and find a different (longer COL) magazine locally before packing tomorrow afternoon. So I seated them to 2.26 and they move in the magazine fine now. Of course there's always a catch... Now I'm getting short stroking and that's a non starter in terms of hunting, since I may need a quick follow up shot. That's the price for loading all my experiments one round at a time into the top of the mag DUH!

So, I went to my next most accurate load, which was 28.5gr AR-Comp yielding ~2600 fps. Not as high as I can get with 8208, but I still think that powder is more matched for 100 grainers anyway. I need to foul the barrel anyway, so I plan a quick trip to the range tomorrow morning to dial in the ARC load and check functionality. I have mag bodies that accommodate longer COLs, but the rib pattern is for the 5.56 cartridge. That's the price of spending 3 days getting my Dad's rig running and some ammo worked up for him. (Browning BAR .30-06 & 150 TTSX over H4895). I thought I had him all set until we wasted all the loads trying to get his ancient Redfield Widefield 3-9 dialed in, when I declared it was flaky and threw a different scope I had on (new Redfield Revolution) much to his grousing. Same problem getting it dialed in when I noticed his cheapo Tasco rings and aluminum bases were loose on the receiver. By the time I got that mess cleaned up, tumbled and processed the brass, made more loads and dialed in so that he is setting pretty, I blew the time I needed to get ME set up. Now it's panic time since I don't have my gear staged, not even rounded up yet and it's going to take another trip to the range to dial in [b]MY[b] ARC loads and hope they cycle ok from this magazine I have. Thank goodness the 6.5 is my backup rig and my 450 Bushmaster is already dialed in for my Barnes 200gr XPBs. I really want to bloody both of them this year. Gonna be a crazy day tomorrow...

What a comedy of errors this has turned out to be. Add to that, I took this whole week as vacation before season comes in this Saturday to relax, spend some time with my Dad, who I see once a year and get my gear staged. Dad is 80 and who knows how long we have together, so I let him invite himself out here each deer season to wait on him hand and foot, at the expense of my mental health. Sorry, had to vent before turning in.

Hoot
              Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Drifter
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by YutYut View Post
                Hey Drifter what groups have you gotten using comp and 123 scenars?
                Reference 1st page of this same thread.

Hoot- Hope you and your dad have a good hunt.
                Drifter

Comment

• rasp65
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Hoot I found this recently on the interwebs. It is a magazine mod that allows you to use longer oals. http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/armags/armags.html

Comment

Originally posted by rasp65 View Post
                    Hoot I found this recently on the interwebs. It is a magazine mod that allows you to use longer oals. http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/armags/armags.html
                    Thanks for the link. Ive been doing the c_bass16 mod to other caliber mags, namely single stack ones, because the slit is much more narrow and you don't worry as much about dirt and grime getting into the mag. Unfortunately, the one 6.5G mag I have is lapped seam on the front and back and spot welded. It's better to use a mag with only one lapped seam on the back, for that kind of mod. The double lap is why the COL is so restricted. ProMag steel mags are made from a single sheet with just the one seam on the back and they actually allow up to 2.30 on some. I just ordered an AR Stoner steel 10-round mag and will see if it has more room. AR Stoners in other calibers run around 2.29 to 2.30 as well. Back to packing...

Hoot

Comment

• sneaky one
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Hey Hoot. You probably hunt shorter range like I do, take a bit off of the plastic tip, reshape a bit- as it doesn't affect accuracy to 200y. Hey those amaxes are not for deer hunt use in MN. hee.

Comment

Working...
                      X