Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LightningII

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
    I was reading an article last night that said in countries where suppressors are less or completely unregulated they can be bought for as little as $40.
    there's nothing magical about a suppressor. $40 seems a little low for a centerfire rifle supressor, but if there was the same regulation as forearms, the price would obviously come down quite a bit.
    I know that without the current level of restriction and high price, I'd have a multiple suppressors.

Comment

I have bought them in Europe for about 2/3 to 1/2 the price in the US. I leave them there of course. Ase Utra, BR Tuote, and Brugger & Thommett are some of the best suppressor makers on the other side of the pond.

Utah is one of the Firearms Freedom States, so technically we are allowed to make our own without ATF approval, but nobody has really gone head-to-head with it in Court yet. As long as short barrel-rifles and shotguns, suppressors, and other firearms/accessories are made and kept in-State, the Firearms Freedom States are claiming exemption from any NFA or Federal regulations. It will be inetresting to see how that pans out.

Comment

Could somebody in Texas with a suppressor tell me a little bit about acquiring one? I know about the paperwork-trust vs. corporation vs. individual. I know about sign-offs, and I know the Sheriff here, and he's GTG. I have a CHL, so no issues.

What I need to know is do you simply state what you want to get (suppressor/SBR/AOW/etc.), send in $ and await approval? Or do you have to specifically name the exact product when doing the paperwork? Buy the item in advance and await pickup until approval, or subsequent transaction with a approval in hand?

I've want one for a long time, and this is good justification (for me) to get one. Might have follow-up questions on dedicated vs. multi-caliber and brands. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Variable
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Opus Dei View Post
          You have to specifically name the exact product when doing the paperwork. Buy the item in advance and await pickup until approval.
          This. You buy up front (or your dealer does for you), and then you take possession of the item after approval.
          Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
          We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Kikn
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

Also you have to provide the size (.308, 7.62) make model and serial number on the form 4, its the serial number that has to match the Tax stamp

Comment

One last question, for now. I was at a recent gunshow, and BATFE had a table. I talked with them a few minutes and got a couple of application packets.

Where in the scheme of things does the CLEO sign-off occur? Does the Sheriff need to know the make/model/SN before signing-off, or do you get the form signed first and then go shopping? Thanks, again.

Comment

• Kikn
                Warrior
                • Nov 2011

One last question, for now. I was at a recent gunshow, and BATFE had a table. I talked with them a few minutes and got a couple of application packets.

Where in the scheme of things does the CLEO sign-off occur? Does the Sheriff need to know the make/model/SN before signing-off, or do you get the form signed first and then go shopping? Thanks, again.
                You have to fill out the entire paperwork with serial number. The LEO signs off on the second page about 1/3 down. I believe he signs two spots on the sheet.

Comment

• txgunner00
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                  I have bought them in Europe for about 2/3 to 1/2 the price in the US. I leave them there of course. Ase Utra, BR Tuote, and Brugger & Thommett are some of the best suppressor makers on the other side of the pond.

Utah is one of the Firearms Freedom States, so technically we are allowed to make our own without ATF approval, but nobody has really gone head-to-head with it in Court yet. As long as short barrel-rifles and shotguns, suppressors, and other firearms/accessories are made and kept in-State, the Firearms Freedom States are claiming exemption from any NFA or Federal regulations. It will be inetresting to see how that pans out.
                  There is talk about pushing legislation like that in Texas also. This suppressor rule change is on step of many more needed in the right direction.
                  NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

If you are buying one it will be through a class 3 dealer and he will fill out the form 4. The law enforcement sign off is done on the same form so you need to talk to your dealer and ask how he wants to handle it. He should fill it out first.

I have my NFA stuff in a trust for a couple of reason other than not having to deal with the sign off. If you want to talk about it PM me your phone number and I'll call you.
                    Last edited by txgunner00; 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM.

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                      There is talk about pushing legislation like that in Texas also. This suppressor rule change is on step of many more needed in the right direction.
                      I though Texas was on that State's rights bandwagon already. Utah, Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho, Arizona, Montana, South Dakota, and Tennessee have passed it already.

Texas has introduced it, along with 20 other States, just waiting on legislature vote or governor passage.

Templar Custom has come up with a really cool integrated suppressor for their FAST Rail system, barrel change idea. I'm thinking I can just ordered the baffled barrel, without the outer tube, then install a tube over it once in Firearms Freedom territory, and all is GTG.

I shouldn't have to wait for gubm't thugs to sign off on paperwork just because I like what little hearing I have left, and want to make sure my family doesn't lose any of theirs.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                        I though Texas was on that State's rights bandwagon already. Utah, Alaska, Wyoming, Idaho, Arizona, Montana, South Dakota, and Tennessee have passed it already.

Texas has introduced it, along with 20 other States, just waiting on legislature vote or governor passage.

Templar Custom has come up with a really cool integrated suppressor for their FAST Rail system, barrel change idea. I'm thinking I can just ordered the baffled barrel, without the outer tube, then install a tube over it once in Firearms Freedom territory, and all is GTG.

I shouldn't have to wait for gubm't thugs to sign off on paperwork just because I like what little hearing I have left, and want to make sure my family doesn't lose any of theirs.
                        I just looked it up and I'm not sure what it's current status is. It was introduced in 2009 and passed through committee but I can't find if it's been put on the agenda to be brought to the floor. Our legislature only meets every other year so new bills tend to move very slow. The suppressor reg was changed in a reasonable amount of time because it was a rule of the Texas Parks and Wildlife and not a law.
                        Last edited by txgunner00; 04-02-2012, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X