So, for my soon to be 12" Grrr future suppressed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AZHTfreak
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

So, for my soon to be 12" Grrr future suppressed...

Need some future-proof advice from the O-So-Wise Horde. I'm in the current buy for a Faxon 12", and the build progression I'm going with is A. Pistol, B. Pistol suppressed, C. SBR suppressed. My past builds have ranged from 10.5" CLGS 5.56 to 20" RLGS 6.5G and everything in between - all of them unsuppressed, forged receivers, trued & bedded. I've always used a standard gas block with a CAR buffer & spring. They've worked flawlessly with 0 function issues, no lie. I'm either anal retentive or really lucky given some of the problems others have had...

With this 12" though, to future proof for a smooth running CLGS SBR suppressed FINAL SOLUTION, I am sure I'll need to move to an AGB, and pretty sure something other than a CAR buffer/spring. I have ZERO interest in an adjustable BC.

1. Leaning Superlative Arms vs: SLR Sentry. Thoughts?

2. Alternative to CAR buffer/spring?

Love this forum, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by AZHTfreak; 11-12-2017, 11:15 PM. Reason: syntax
    DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...
  • Leadslinger
    Unwashed
    • May 2017

I have a SLR sentry 7 clamp gas block on a Faxon 12" and all I can say is it works as expected. But you need to watch the inside Id of the rail you use as mine is touching the rail in three spots. Both clamp screws and the leef spring screw. Kinda bummed as it's being used under a SLR rail and it's not very compatible even though they say it is. I think it's really affecting my accuracy. I'm getting 6 to 7 moa with wolf at 50 yards. Not good!

Comment

• AZHTfreak
      Warrior
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Leadslinger View Post
      I have a SLR sentry 7 clamp gas block on a Faxon 12" and all I can say is it works as expected. But you need to watch the inside Id of the rail you use as mine is touching the rail in three spots. Both clamp screws and the leef spring screw. Kinda bummed as it's being used under a SLR rail and it's not very compatible even though they say it is. I think it's really affecting my accuracy. I'm getting 6 to 7 moa with wolf at 50 yards. Not good!
      Ouch, yeah, that was my one concern about the AGBs. It WAS going inside a BCM Alpha and right now a standard low-pro GB has about 1/8" clearance on both sides of the top and the bottom set screws. Don't think an AGB will clear the BCM ID... Looks like I have 3rd item on my punch list.

3. Suggestions for free float hand guards with an ID large enough for adjustable gas blocks?
      DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

• Sticks
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Leadslinger View Post
        Wolf sucks as a rule. 2 MOA out of a 18" cut rifle, not 5r - which adds insult to injury let alone only 12" to spin an undersized pill (.2619").
        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
          Warrior
          • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
          Wolf sucks as a rule. 2 MOA out of a 18" cut rifle, not 5r - which adds insult to injury let alone only 12" to spin an undersized pill (.2619").
          Wolf was going to be my ammo of choice for the weapon's intended use, >100yds HD/CQB. I understand the shortcomings of this .2619" ammo going through a 5R-EE pipe, but the Wolf is pretty consistently 1.5-2.5 MOA @ 100yds through my group buy 20". I figured good enough for this 12" & MOBadGuy... For hunting, I'd use factory SST or ELD-M.

Comment

• Leadslinger
            Unwashed
            • May 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
            I get that the wolf sucks. But thought I would do better than 7moa at 50 yards though. Once I change the gas block around if I can bring it down to 3 to 5 moa at a 100 I would be happy. But the way I understand it is 5r riffling dosent play nice with bi metal ammo.

AZHTfreak I don't believe you will need a agb as I think the gas port size is .073. that's not bad. I'm going with a ballistic advantage low pro to replace the SLR.

Comment

• explorecaves
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

I have both adj gb you mention. Superlative (on my 12" build) is larger than sentry (on my 16" build) and the sentry is obviously larger than a low-pro gb. Gibbz arms hand guards have enough clearance for the superlative, though they can be a bit on the heavy side when compared to others on the market.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                Super Moderator
                • Sep 2014

I'm in the same boat as you going option B. Pistol suppressed.

With the Maxim PDW brace, I see no reason for an SBR and another stamp plus the restrictions on SBRs.

One stamp gun with suppressor and still can keep it ready to rock inside my vehicle since it's a pistol, not a long gun.

I am leaning towards adjustable carrier from bootleg over a block.
                NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• SHEEPDOG9
                  Unwashed
                  • Sep 2017

With 100% suppressor usage in my plans, all of my builds have been exclusively with adjustable gas blocks, and I've found that once properly tuned, and aligned, all have functioned 100% with standard carbine buffers. I have used Syrac Ordnance, SLR Sentry, and Superlative Arms. I have had ZERO problems with any of the three, other than a single builder-induced misalignment of the SLR. My favorite is the Superlative, because of the bleed-off feature. Because of my answer to your first question, I have no input on your second. Hope this helps. Please do post a range report on your Ballistic Advantage barrel, as I'd love all the Intel on it that one can amass, as a Grendel SBR may be my next build and I'm trying to decide between barrels... Speaking of, are the Ballistic Advantage barrels SAAMI spec?

Comment

• explorecaves
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SHEEPDOG9 View Post
                    With 100% suppressor usage in my plans, all of my builds have been exclusively with adjustable gas blocks, and I've found that once properly tuned, and aligned, all have functioned 100% with standard carbine buffers. I have used Syrac Ordnance, SLR Sentry, and Superlative Arms. I have had ZERO problems with any of the three, other than a single builder-induced misalignment of the SLR. My favorite is the Superlative, because of the bleed-off feature. Because of my answer to your first question, I have no input on your second. Hope this helps. Please do post a range report on your Ballistic Advantage barrel, as I'd love all the Intel on it that one can amass, as a Grendel SBR may be my next build and I'm trying to decide between barrels... Speaking of, are the Ballistic Advantage barrels SAAMI spec?
                    Jump in on the 12" group buy from Faxon. My barrel is a shooter and it is a budget build.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by SHEEPDOG9 View Post
                      With 100% suppressor usage in my plans, all of my builds have been exclusively with adjustable gas blocks, and I've found that once properly tuned, and aligned, all have functioned 100% with standard carbine buffers. I have used Syrac Ordnance, SLR Sentry, and Superlative Arms. I have had ZERO problems with any of the three, other than a single builder-induced misalignment of the SLR. My favorite is the Superlative... Speaking of, are the Ballistic Advantage barrels SAAMI spec?
                      The bleedoff is what has me leaning hard Superlative! I contacted BA when they began offering Grendel barrels re: no SAAMI called out in their specs, and they assured me yes they are a SAAMI chamber. BUT, BA STILL hasn't reflected that assertion in their descriptions... Things that make ya go "hmmmm?" Just jump in the 12" group buy here, LOVE my 20"!
                      Last edited by AZHTfreak; 11-16-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• -del
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2017

I have a sentry 7 AGB for my Faxon 12" group buy barrel underneath a Mega Arms 12" MKM with a Sandman S about an inch under the handguard. The GB fits under the handguard without any issues and the sandman seems to fit tight without any issues with accuracy. I was around MOA and under on about 100 rounds fired during a course of the day. Many were cloverleafs at 100 yards.

I have a bootleg adjust BC in my 18" 6.5 JP enterprise barrel I just bought and the price is reasonable at 139.99 a few weeks ago. I changed my rail to a Geiselle 15" because I didn't like the previous rail on it and ran into issues with the Sentry 7 AGB touching the Geissele rail. I switched to the Geissele GB that came with the rail and that gas block was just shy of hitting the rail too. I had to file the metal block that comprises of the large set pin hole down on the Geissele GB so it wouldn't interfere with the rail. When I switch rails, I bedded the barrel in the receiver with blue 243 loctite to see if it would impact my groups. It was shooting around MOA with black prior to be touching it but I think it should be better. The barrel extension was pretty loose in the upper receiver without the loctite.

ETA: both of my JP and Faxon barrels hates wolf. I'm at 6 to 7 inches depending on how many I shoot in a group. Funny thing was the first three Wolf rounds that I shot cloverleaf at 100 yards with the Faxon barrel. It was a hot messy after finishing the rest of the 7 shots though. After running another 50 rounds of Wolf, I gave up and will not shoot past 25 yards with them and probably will not buy any more since it is terrible at 100 yards.
                        Last edited by -del; 11-16-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Les
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2016

So am I sensing Wolf doesn't work with the 12" Faxon barrel accuracy wise? Tell me it works, I just bought 500 rounds. And with what grain bullet?
                          Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. https://nebraskafirearms.org/wp/

Comment

• Sticks
                            Chieftain
                            • Dec 2016

It works insofar as it will go bang and head down range. Impact location should be within 3" of point of aim for every 100 yards out of a SBR...and I am being really generous.

The Wolf is 100 grain.
                            Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• -del
                              Unwashed
                              • Apr 2017

Yes, like Sticks said: they go bang and go down range. Maybe your barrel will like them and you can be one of the lucky ones.

Factory black loads were around moa in black 123gr eld in 5 to 10 groups with the faxon. Best group of the day was 0.6 for me in a 5 shot group.

That was shooting suppressed and noticed that the sst 123gr did not have the same point of impact as the 123gr eld. They shoot almost 1" lower than the black eld at 100 yards. I shot 30 rounds of sst to confirm that they didn't impact the same.
                              Last edited by -del; 11-18-2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X