X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JASmith
    Chieftain
    • Sep 2014

Who can drive 35 miles after drinkg a coulle 16 oz cups of coffee?
    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• Drillboss
      Warrior
      • Jan 2015

Pit stops...

Comment

• JASmith
        Chieftain
        • Sep 2014

Yup!
        shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
        -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• DAL357
          Unwashed
          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
          Interesting what you learn when you take a wider view of the world.

I have found that eating too many "heart healthy" whole grain carbs makes me jittery and my shooting accuracy suffers.

I have lost 60 lbs in the last 3 years by eating low carb/ high fat. Yes, a lot of fat. You have to get your calories somewhere.

Many health benefits followed. Many mainstream "facts" are not correct.

I have been doing 3 pullups a day for a few years as my weight dropped. I feel healthier at 60 than I did at 40.
          +1000!

To sum it up in one word: Paleo. Look it up. A good place to start is by reading some info by a guy named Mark Sisson. High fat (of the right kind), low carbs, and moderate amounts of protein; I've been living this way for several years and I feel great at 58. It took about three days for my body to adjust to it after a lifetime of the SAD (standard American diet), but it was well worth the hassle.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Guys:

So, how does your specific diet and lifestyle (both are interrelated) combine to improve your marksmanship performance?

LR55

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

Being calm improves any high precision operation I do from assembly to shooting.

Comment

• LR1955
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2011

Being calm improves any high precision operation I do from assembly to shooting.
                b39:

OK -- so what diet would you recommend?

LR55

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

I mostly followed this diet.

HFLC = high fat low carb

If you can eat less than 50g carbs per day and do it for a week you will be astounded at the health benefits. Relef of joint pain, headaches, nervousness, etc.
                  Since carbs have 4 calories/gram this is 200 calories. Fat has 9 calories/gram. You must increase your fat consumption or you will be severely calorie deficient.
                  Calorie deficiency is not dangerous since it is only a fast, which is recommended in the Bible.

If you like to eat sausage, as I do, this will be easier. Eat as much sausage as you want at first, but no bread.

One of the hardest feelings to get over is fear of eating fat. You must eat more fat than you think and don't fear eating it.
                  Brainwashing by the medical establishment has been VERY effective. It took me about 2 months to realize fat was good for me.
                  If you get a cut or burn do you slap a piece of bread on it or a piece of butter? Fat will sooth your GI system similarly.
                  Carbs cause GI irritation, not fat.

Comment

• LR1955
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2011

I mostly followed this diet.

HFLC = high fat low carb

If you can eat less than 50g carbs per day and do it for a week you will be astounded at the health benefits. Relef of joint pain, headaches, nervousness, etc.
                    Since carbs have 4 calories/gram this is 200 calories. Fat has 9 calories/gram. You must increase your fat consumption or you will be severely calorie deficient.
                    Calorie deficiency is not dangerous since it is only a fast, which is recommended in the Bible.

If you like to eat sausage, as I do, this will be easier. Eat as much sausage as you want at first, but no bread.

One of the hardest feelings to get over is fear of eating fat. You must eat more fat than you think and don't fear eating it.
                    Brainwashing by the medical establishment has been VERY effective. It took me about 2 months to realize fat was good for me.
                    If you get a cut or burn do you slap a piece of bread on it or a piece of butter? Fat will sooth your GI system similarly.
                    Carbs cause GI irritation, not fat.

Bj:

Sorry but I didn't ask what diet you followed.

I asked what diet would be ideal for marksmanship performance.

There are diets that are ideal for marathon runners, swimmers, alpine and Nordic skiers, weight lifters, cross fitters, etc. Got to be one out there for marksmen.

Just asking but it needs to be focused on improving marksmanship skills.

LR55

Comment

• montana
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

Any diet that maintains ones basic health. Lets get real, there is no diet specific that could realistically be considered a marksmanship diet that could not be matched to a healthy diet. Marksman ship is not a physically demanding endeavor demanding a specialized diet. Any diet which provides healthy nutrition for ones over all nutritional needs based on age, sex "chromosome determined, not identity" health, etc, is all that is required. It would be better to discuss which specific exercises, "healthy life choices" that could be a detriment or asset for marksmanship skills. I do know low rep, heavy lifting can destroy fine motor skills compared to higher rep, lighter weight. Cardio exercise will improve blood flow for eye sight, dexterity and focus. There are more important factors for marksmanship than a specific diet. Perhaps eat more carrots LOL.

Comment

• LR1955
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
                        Any diet that maintains ones basic health. Lets get real, there is no diet specific that could realistically be considered a marksmanship diet that could not be matched to a healthy diet. Marksman ship is not a physically demanding endeavor demanding a specialized diet. Any diet which provides healthy nutrition for ones over all nutritional needs based on age, sex "chromosome determined, not identity" health, etc, is all that is required. It would be better to discuss which specific exercises, "healthy life choices" that could be a detriment or asset for marksmanship skills. I do know low rep, heavy lifting can destroy fine motor skills compared to higher rep, lighter weight. Cardio exercise will improve blood flow for eye sight, dexterity and focus. There are more important factors for marksmanship than a specific diet. Perhaps eat more carrots LOL.
                        Montana:

About the diet, exactly. Although I believe one could focus some foods on things like eyesight and the central nervous system, there is nothing specific I know of.

About the exercises -- I wouldn't be so fast to correlate strength training with poor fine motor skills but I sure do agree that exercise will improve marksmanship performance. It will improve all performance.

So what marksmanship specific exercises would you recommend?

Got to do my first training session of the day.

LR55

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                          Bj:

Sorry but I didn't ask what diet you followed.

I asked what diet would be ideal for marksmanship performance.

There are diets that are ideal for marathon runners, swimmers, alpine and Nordic skiers, weight lifters, cross fitters, etc. Got to be one out there for marksmen.

Just asking but it needs to be focused on improving marksmanship skills.

LR55
                          OK then. Never mind.

Perhaps there are some marksmen reading this that can tell you what they eat.
                          Last edited by bj139; 02-06-2018, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• 41bear
                            Warrior
                            • Jan 2017

I find these 2 things helpful to enhance my marksmanship, daily use of a grip exerciser turned upside down to exercise my trigger finger and practice, practice, practice. Daily walks for general exercise, at 77 sex is no longer a factor, but lots of hugs and kisses are still a good thing for the mind and body.
                            "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• montana
                              Chieftain
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                              Montana:

About the diet, exactly. Although I believe one could focus some foods on things like eyesight and the central nervous system, there is nothing specific I know of.

About the exercises -- I wouldn't be so fast to correlate strength training with poor fine motor skills but I sure do agree that exercise will improve marksmanship performance. It will improve all performance.

So what marksmanship specific exercises would you recommend?

Got to do my first training session of the day.

LR55
                              I never said strength training in general but heavy lifting. I did a combination of power lifting, body building, for a little over 20 years. Besides gaining incredible strength and stamina, I also had an increase in shaking. I noticed it when using a cutting torch and looking through binoculars. Nothing, drastic but noticeable. I had to learn how to brace myself better when shooting. My shooting buddy shot high power and there was no way I could have competed with him because of my shaking. Because of age and injuries, I lightened my weights during my work outs and the shaking subsided. The benefits of heavy lifting were many but steady motor skills were not one of them. For shooting skills, I would focus on normal weight training and cardio like cross county skiing, mountain biking, swimming, martial arts, etc. I have never done it, but I bet yoga would be advantages for fine motor skills. A daily stretching regiment would also be advantages. I'm no sports medicine expert but I do know what effects different exorcise endeavors have had on me. Now if you have a cure for old age, please don't be shy!

Comment

• bj139
                                Chieftain
                                • Mar 2017

I didn't post this before for fear of ridicule but with a few members having health problems I thought I should.

Comment

Working...
                                X