RCBS 264 LBC dies same as 6.5 Grendel specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RCBS 264 LBC dies same as 6.5 Grendel specs?

I'am looking to purchase a set of RCBS dies for my 6.5 Grendel. Thanks! John
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

First, welcome here, good to have ya! Not sure of the answer to your question, but the 264 LBC chamber keeps the same case dimensions, so I'd be surprised if the dies mattered. Just a guess, though.

John
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. I am having serious issues with my Hornady dies. I can eject factory ammo , but not handloads from my Hornady dies. Im thinking that they are out of spec just a tad. ill be keeping up with this post to see if anyone else chimes in.

Comment

The dies are the same. I use Reddings or a set of Hornady.

As to not being able to eject ammo if you mean loaded rounds you probably need to bump the shoulders back another 0.002 or so. That rears it's ugly head a bunch.

Greg

Comment

• WHITEBULL
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2013

So the RCBS .264 LBC-AR SB T/C Die set will work for the Grendel cartridge?

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

I bought a set and they seem good to me. I have used them with 6.5 Grendel AA (Lapua) brass, so far so good.

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by WHITEBULL View Post
              WB:

Absolutely correct. There is no, zero, none -- nada -- difference in chambers between the LBC and the Grendel. The dies are identical. The throats are different. The Grendel uses a compound throat and the LBC a more conventional throat with more leade. So, if you are fine tuning overall length, you may find a difference. However, in terms of the brass being sized down to the correct dimensions, there is no difference. The chambers are the same.

I would say that 95% of the problems with chambering and extracting sized brass is the handloader failed to bump the shoulder back enough. The other 5 % is because the handloader seated the bullet too far out of the case for proper chambering.

The topic of bumping brass and cartridge OAL comes up about twice a month.

LR1955

Comment

• NugginFutz
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                The topic of bumping brass and cartridge OAL comes up about twice a month.

LR1955
                At least.
                If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Tedward
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2013

So the LBC 264 barrel shoots Grendel ammo fine then? There is an 18" for sale and I was wondering if that will work ok.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                    So the LBC 264 barrel shoots Grendel ammo fine then? There is an 18" for sale and I was wondering if that will work ok.
                    Tedward:

The short answer is yes..

For all practical intents and purposes, any factory 6.5 Grendel ammo will run in the .264 LBC chambered barrels.
                    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Drifter
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                      There is no, zero, none -- nada -- difference in chambers between the LBC and the Grendel. The dies are identical. The throats are different. The Grendel uses a compound throat and the LBC a more conventional throat with more leade.
                      Doesn't change the feasibility of dies, but chamber neck diameters are also different. Grendel is .300" and 264 LBC is .295".
                      Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by WHITEBULL View Post
                        I personally don't think this RCBS die set will work for you.

I purchased a set of these dies from Midway. They were cut to small at the base/web and would size the base to the point of destroying the case.

Here is a picture of what I experienced.

I contacted RCBS and sent them the sizing die along with 4-5 fired cases.

They were going to modify the SB die to fit my chamber, but decided to replace it with a Standard RCBS FL die as it was a perfect fit to my Grendel Chamber.

I don't know if I got a defective die or RCBS was manufacturing all of them to small, but they admitted that the die was undersized. I also don't know if they went back to the drawing board and fixed their F-up or of they are still sending out undersized dies?

Good Luck.

Comment

• Tedward
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by mseric View Post
                          I personally don't think this RCBS die set will work for you.

I purchased a set of these dies from Midway. They were cut to small at the base/web and would size the base to the point of destroying the case.

Here is a picture of what I experienced.

I contacted RCBS and sent them the sizing die along with 4-5 fired cases.

They were going to modify the SB die to fit my chamber, but decided to replace it with a Standard RCBS FL die as it was a perfect fit to my Grendel Chamber.

I don't know if I got a defective die or RCBS was manufacturing all of them to small, but they admitted that the die was undersized. I also don't know if they went back to the drawing board and fixed their F-up or of they are still sending out undersized dies?

Good Luck.
                          When did you get those dies?

Comment

Originally posted by Tedward View Post
                            When did you get those dies?
                            Jan. 2013

Comment

• Tedward
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2013

That's scary. They wonder how many are out there??? Does anyone else have that issue??

Comment

Working...
                              X