X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Troutguide
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

That is the explosion I am worried about. I really want two holes and a golf ball size channel not fist size. I will hunt with SST this season and if not impressed I will reload something less explosive. I'm just talking from info gathered I have only shot one hog with SST and that was brain shot so hard to tell what it did other than take out the back of the skull.
    "I rarely give a definite answer" - TG

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
      I can't post the deer pics, but it's pretty brutal, DRT.
      I was gonna ask!
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• protozen
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by 1075 tech View Post
        25-30 yards
        Thanks for replying, it was still smoking at that point, I wonder what would have happen with a-max.
        Travis Kay
        http://www.traviskay.ca
        linkedin.com/in/kaytravis
        twitter.com/traviskay
        CCFR, CSSA, NRA member, are you? In the greater Vancouver area? Drop me a PM

Comment

• Kswhitetails
          Chieftain
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Troutguide View Post
          That is the explosion I am worried about. I really want two holes and a golf ball size channel not fist size. I will hunt with SST this season and if not impressed I will reload something less explosive. I'm just talking from info gathered I have only shot one hog with SST and that was brain shot so hard to tell what it did other than take out the back of the skull.
          Seems to be what the SST is intended to do, explosive immediate expansion being designed in. I would suggest any partition, or bonded hunting bullet would give wound channel attributes centered on what you mention here. If you haven't done so yet, I would suggest the reloading manuals by some of the guys here on the site. Amazingly detailed testing was done on many projectiles to prove accurate and reliable reload data on Grendel and provide insight into performance of the actual bullets in real world application. Well worth the investment, and you will find information that answers these concerns with accuracy and actual tested validation well beyond the possibility of opinions posted on any message board.

Not that these opinions are ever wrong...
          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Safety Guy
            Unwashed
            • Jul 2017

It seems like everyone is saying the SST opens fast. Do you think it has the weight and construction to handle a shoulder shot, or would a behind the shoulder shot be a better idea?

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
              It seems like everyone is saying the SST opens fast. Do you think it has the weight and construction to handle a shoulder shot, or would a behind the shoulder shot be a better idea?
              I think it will plow through, since we have recovered some that hit bone and they looked identical to the ones that were shot into gel at high speed.

If you plan on making shoulder shots and want more peace of mind, you might want to consider the 100gr TTSX, which will cut through like butter.

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• rickt300
                Warrior
                • Jan 2017

Or the 100 grain Nosler Partition.

Comment

• lrgrendel
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2013

Not going off topic.
                  Trying to plan a hog hunt with my son. He will use my Howa grendel.
                  All shots will be less than 150 yds.

Head shots are a given. Which bullet would be more lethal shot into the "boiler room", the LAPUA Naturalis 140 gr at 2300 fps ( no expansion ) or the Berger 130 gr Hybrid at 2400fps?

I already have loads developed for both.
                  Last edited by lrgrendel; 09-01-2017, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• kmon
                    Chieftain
                    • Feb 2015

Look at some of Double Naught Spy's posts. He has tested several different bullets on hogs at varying distances. Hornady SST is his main bullet but if I remember correctly the 130 Hybrids did well and the bullet did exit.

If you expect no expansion from the 140 then go with the 130.

Comment

Working...
                    X