Amazing Range Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing Range Report

I've had my Grendel out a couple of times to play but finally got to see what she could really do, unfortunately I wasn't behind the trigger...

I made a trip out to Joe Collier's shop in Millen GA to check on the progress of a friends .260 build and took advantage of the opportunity to have an experienced marksman behind my trigger. Collier is well known for making custom (very accurate) rifles.

Here is what he got with my factory trigger at 100 yards.

Heres my lightweight hunting grendel.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2012, 01:58 AM.

What size of barrel? Fabulous group ...

Comment

18" 1 in 8 twist 5R rifling Liberty Barrel

I got the upper from Loki Weapons Sytems
      Last edited by Guest; 04-11-2012, 02:17 AM.

Comment

great group. you plan on stretching it out any?

Comment

I've chased after steel with no success after 500 yards however I'm quite sure that was from miscalculation.

The calculator I was using was off by quite a bit at 500 and it took a while just to make the plate ring from there. So naturally the next thing to do would be to step back to 1000 right? To save pride in both me and my rifle I will say that my range makes things complicated. I have only one fixed target to shoot at and have to adjust the location I shoot from for distance variations via F150. And because my range has a primary purpose of being a farm (lame humor) there are very few places to park the bench.

Hopefully I will get a chance to get out on a marked range and work my way out. Right now there are just too many variables for me to work out in order to know where to adjust (the greatest being my lack of knowledge and experience). I'm quite confident I will get there. Lord knows I cant blame it on the rifle.

Comment

louieprkr,

That is an amazing group. What elevation are you at above sea level where you live? That will have a pretty big effect on ballistics calculators if you don't enter that data point. For example, where I'm at, I shoot anywhere from 5400ft ASL to 6600ft ASL frwquently, and there is a huge difference between seal level trajectories with my loads and the thin air up here. Millen Georgia is around 150-190ft ASL from what I can see, so basically sea level.

Here's a source for barometric pressure based on altitude, and I use the inches of mercury (Hg) column for generating initital load data before I'm on-site with a weather station.

Comment

Thanks LRRPF52. The overwhelming majority of my shooting is less than 500 ft ASL with my range being less than 200 ft ASL. I have been using the Strelok app on my phone and havent had much faith in it. One of the biggest unknown factors is my muzzle velocity. I was going to get it chrono'ed today but didn't get around to it. Considering I am about to switch from factory to hand loads I haven't placed that much of a priority on it just yet.

If it weren't for the cost of ammo I sure would like to just keep shooting factory. I don't know how to complain about those results, and will be trying to make a load my gun likes as much as the factory loads. I guess thats a good problem to have though!

Any advice on expected muzzle velocities would be greatly appreciated. Since the factory hornady did so well in my rifle do you have any advice on hand loads? Or would the usual recomendation of IMR 8208 and cci 450 still be the best starting point?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Here's the thing: You're generating all this great 1x fired brass, so why not load for it? Granted, it is hard to beat that kind of group, but you could start with the Hornady components and load up some ladder tests to see where your accuracy node is, which might be heavily dependent on velocity.

I think we discussed what factory powders are used, but I don't remember if it's mixed or a common propellant available to hand-loaders.

I use Berger's free program, and it generates very good results for me.

Comment

With any ballistic calc the output is only as good as the input ...
                  a crono is important. Plus know the temperature at the time you zero.
                  also find the percentage change of velocity at change in temperature ...
                  Streloc has a box to enter range temp preassure conditions

Comment

Yeah I will apply some emphasis to the details one I pick a load to stick with and I can get serious about results. The first 200 rounds were for brass and experimentation with the rifle. It sure wouldn't hurt to know how fast the factories are being slung as a standard. I've got one box left... maybe I can get my hands on a chrono.

Comment

Louie, I found some of the hornady 123 A max for around 18 bucks a box on cheaper than dirt. with shipping i think it was about 21.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Nice shooting.
                        NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

awesome group!

Comment

• usmc1371
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2011

nice shooting stick. i have a liberty barrel also.

Comment

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                              Louie, I found some of the hornady 123 A max for around 18 bucks a box on cheaper than dirt. with shipping i think it was about 21.
                              Not a bad price at all. I bought all mine from midway for $23 a box I believe. But I've got the brass and I'll be loading my own 123 gr AMAX'es. Anyone found the best price out there on those?

Comment

Working...
                              X