• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 85_Ranger4x4
    Warrior
    • Nov 2016

Classic/BCA Barrels

Anyone used one? Shoot nice or not? They have a pretty good sale going. At least the 16" is BCA, the others have similar worded descriptions so I kinda think they are too.

SS is 416, how big of a difference is it not being the more sought after 416R?

Premium Grade Stainless AR-15 Heavy Barrel, 18", Spiral Fluted,1 in 8 twist , Stainless steel.Gas port drilled for mid length gas set up, straight flutes, and threaded for comp.Barrel Extension in rear with feed ramps ready to install into receiver. 6.5 Grendel Type 2 Don't forget the AeroShell 33MS Mil Spec Armorer's Grease!

Premium Grade AR-15 Straight Fluted Heavy Barrel, 18", 1 in 8 twist Black NitrideGas port drilled for mid-length gas set up, and threaded for comp.Barrel Extension in rear with feed ramps ready to install into receiver. 6.5 Grendel Don't forget the AeroShell 33MS Mil Spec Armorer's Grease!
    Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 04-19-2017, 05:37 PM. Reason: tried to fix link again
  • taxpayer
    Unwashed
    • Mar 2017

bad retailer

Comment

• A5BLASTER
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2015

Taxpayer, We will need more then " bad retailer".

Can you post specific reason's why they are a bad retailer?

Comment

• taxpayer
        Unwashed
        • Mar 2017

Bought a barrel from them. Sent me a used barrel, no alignment pin , scuffed up. Sent them pictures and called them. They told me that they do not sell used barrels. Many more phone calls and emails.Finally got a shipping label to return barrel. Called them and was told that there was nothing wrong with the barrel.I was tired of arguing with them and said that I wanted a refund. Credited my credit card minus $32 for shipping, $16 each way.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
          Warrior
          • Nov 2016

FWIW on CS, we have a vender at work that did something similar. Their bushings wouldn't fit their shaft, wouldn't fit an OEM replacement shaft (which measured the same as their shaft) Returned them and they said the parts were fine, they even put them back into their inventory system when we returned them (we bought the last two, and two popped back up in the their system when we returned them) We paid freight both ways and even got dinged for a 15% restocking fee. Account rep would do nothing.

We fired that company for a few years unless NOBODY else had the parts, the rep quit and the new one swore he would go to bat for us (and has but nothing that extreme yet) so we gave them another shot. A moron in receiving and a lazy rep lost them a lot of business but the company itself was never that bad (the OEM company actually owns 30% of the aftermarket company)

Classic has been around since '89, not sure how long they would last if that was the norm but I am pretty sure it wouldn't be as long as they have lasted. Thanks for the input though, I will try to figure that into my calculations.
          Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 04-19-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
            Warrior
            • Nov 2016

I heard back from them today:

Yes it is SAAMI approved, the bolt face depth I am not sure of, but, it is a type 2 and thus you would need a type 2 BCG to fit that, (for head spacing purposes), barrel threading is 5/8" x24 and 416R SS is the material that is used for barrel.

If there is anything else I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thank you!
            Still on the fence, it would help if it was available in something other than a heavy profile.
            Last edited by 85_Ranger4x4; 04-19-2017, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• bj139
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2017

I just bought this yesterday from BCA with a side charging receiver. It looks like the same barrel. Maybe the low prices are all returns. I paid for a Grendel bolt on the group buy here. If I bought the barrel from Classic I would have had to pay an additional $19 shipping so not too bad. I would rather not have trouble with retailers. Sometimes it is just isolated incidents but if you are involved it is not pleasant. I need parts for my Grendel side charger build.

This page displays when the page cannot be found, the link is broken, or the page has been moved.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

I would dig a lil deeper into the sammi spec of this barrel, reason being is they stated it needs a type 2 bcg and there is no such thing as a type 2 bcg.

They don't seem to sure of their products spec's and for me that would put up red flag's.

Not saying they are a bad company or anything like that all I'm saying is I would ask lots of more questions before making my mind up on that barrel.

They need to beable to tell you the reamer used to cut the chamber and the exact bolt face depth, I personally wouldn't buy a product unless I know exactly what I'm getting.

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

I assume they mean a bolt with a .136" depth and not the other one. I was thinking of buying the barrel group buy here but they only seem to have 15 out of 50 paid so it may be a while. I am expecting my Grendel bolt from the group buy any day now. I knew I was probably getting a Grendel type II chamber but many people are getting good accuracy with type II.

Do the barrels come with a barrel nut?
                  Last edited by bj139; 04-19-2017, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2015

Bj139, sorry I should have stated I was talking about the classic/bca barrel the op posted about.

I'm not bad mouthing the company are it's products just simple saying when a company and or retailer reply's with specs that they are not sure of its best to ask more question's and ask for confirmed spec's, that way you know what your getting when you drop hard earned cash.

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2016

Looks like Sanders has the same barrel for $152. Same picture anyway. They are a good retailer, (dad had good luck with them on a .223W barrel) but then you are within $50 of an AA...

Between the gas tube and handguard I have I am kind of stuck with a midlength 18" barrel.

By type II BCG I think they are referring to the .136 bolt face bolt. Most refer to the .136 bolt face bolts as type II.

Haven't decided what to do yet. These are almost a pound heavier than a AA 18" which is a big turnoff in itself. But Classic also has them in nitrided 4150 which I would prefer (longer lasting, harder/more durable and black) But .85lbs heavier than AA, brand unknown... back up three times and punt.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2015

Ranger, What is your price range for a barrel?

The lightest 18 inch barrels I know of or going to be JP,AA and I think Lijia has a 18 inch that is lightweight as well.

The JP barrel comes in under 2 pounds but it's got a high price tag, not sure of the weights of the AA and Lijia barrels.

The JP I think is the only 18 inch lightweight barrel that has rifle length gas.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2015

Oh it just came too me i forgot a company have you checked BHW for a 18 inch lightweight, I know they do a lot of options on their barrel's, they might have one with rifle gas and the metal treatments you are looking for.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Ranger, I see a different picture of the Sanders than BCA or Classic.

A5, This will be my first Grendel. I decided to go Grendel instead of 300 BO. This is my first upper built from parts

Comment

• 85_Ranger4x4
                              Warrior
                              • Nov 2016

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                              Ranger, I see a different picture of the Sanders than BCA or Classic.

A5, This will be my first Grendel. I decided to go Grendel instead of 300 BO. This is my first upper built from parts
                              The 16" barrels are the same. Same picture, very similar descriptions between the two sites. The M4 profile ones. One of the others (not one of the two I am considering) has the same chart about 416 and 4150 as the M4 barrel and BCA has on their site. Descriptions are similar too... so I THINK BCA makes barrels for Classic.

I would like to stay under $200. There are a bunch around $100, AA's around $200, then it seems like everyone skips to $350 and the sky is the limit from there. I don't really need a really lightweight barrel, just for a flatlander hunting out west that is a lot of weight difference. I don't want a pencil barrel that heats up right away either though. Just fluted or not I think a heavy barrel is going to limit what I use this rifle for.

I think BHW use the .125 depth boltface, I have a group buy bolt incoming hopefully soon with the .136" bolt face.

Comment

Working...
                              X