stainless 18" rifle action barrel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stainless 18" rifle action barrel?

Ok heres my plan, I have a 20" DMR, I plan to swap out the barrel on it to 6.5, my question is, who makes a rifle action 18" barrel? I have looked at allot of different barrels but all seem to be mid action in the 18" and rifle in the 20". Adams has a nice 18" that is fluted but its a mid sytem, he does not offer that (fluting) in the 20, which imo, would help drop the weight quite a bit, as my DMR, is quite a bit less than my old Hbar.
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

I bought a 20" and had Adco Firearms cut it down to 18.25" and thread 5/8x24. This gives you a rifle length gas system, access to the wide world of .308 muzzle devices, threads that are guaranteed to be concentric to the bore (important if you're going to mount a suppressor), and a really nice muzzle crown. I have only fired Hornady 123gr Amax factory ammo from my rifle, but I can report that the rifle works perfectly and throws brass to my 4 o'clock about 6 ft away. One suggestion: make sure your upper receiver has extended feed ramps; this feature enhances the reliability of the bigger bore AR calibers like 6.5G and 6.8SPC.

Here is the rifle with a standard flash hider:

And here it is with a Surefire suppressor (reflex-type):

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Check Black Hole Weaponry.

Also, Satern will probably make whatever you like.
      Drifter

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
        Check Black Hole Weaponry.

Also, Satern will probably make whatever you like.
        Both chamber the LBC .264, although either might chamber the Grendel in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by m796rider View Post
          I bought a 20" and had Adco Firearms cut it down to 18.25" and thread 5/8x24. This gives you a rifle length gas system, access to the wide world of .308 muzzle devices, threads that are guaranteed to be concentric to the bore (important if you're going to mount a suppressor), and a really nice muzzle crown. I have only fired Hornady 123gr Amax factory ammo from my rifle, but I can report that the rifle works perfectly and throws brass to my 4 o'clock about 6 ft away. One suggestion: make sure your upper receiver has extended feed ramps; this feature enhances the reliability of the bigger bore AR calibers like 6.5G and 6.8SPC.

Here is the rifle with a standard flash hider:

And here it is with a Surefire suppressor (reflex-type):
          Dang, that is real close to my set up, I have the M4 feed ramps on my upper, I'm running a Danial Defense 14" front rail, with a PRS stock, but from the looks of yours maybe I should do a DD 12" and swap out the PRS for my SOPMOD needing a home. What scope setup are you using? I'm setup now with a Mark 4 3.5x10 TMR reticle, with a M262 cam/turret. I used ADDCO before and their work is top notch! Looks like the way I need to go, especially since I plan on using my AAC 762SD.

Comment

• m796rider
            Warrior
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by mstennes View Post
            Dang, that is real close to my set up, I have the M4 feed ramps on my upper, I'm running a Danial Defense 14" front rail, with a PRS stock, but from the looks of yours maybe I should do a DD 12" and swap out the PRS for my SOPMOD needing a home. What scope setup are you using? I'm setup now with a Mark 4 3.5x10 TMR reticle, with a M262 cam/turret. I used ADDCO before and their work is top notch! Looks like the way I need to go, especially since I plan on using my AAC 762SD.
            I'm using a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 FFP mildot/mil zero stop scope in a Nightforce 1.375" Unimount.

I've used the PRS on a couple of rifles, and don't like the weight or bulk. The LMT SOPMOD has great cheekweld, but I've settled on the Magpul ACS because it is a bit better for prone shooting (the shape is easier to grasp with my support hand).

You will LOVE shooting your Grendel suppressed...

Comment

• txgunner00
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Which suppressor is that? 7.62 or 6.8"
              NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• m796rider
                Warrior
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                Which suppressor is that? 7.62 or 6.8"

Comment

Surefire used to carry a 9/16 break for their cans, then dropped it for some reason.

Comment

• jwilson1985

we ofer that barrel its on my grendel just look at our site and i have plenty of pics just check my posts

Comment

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                      we ofer that barrel its on my grendel just look at our site and i have plenty of pics just check my posts
                      I guess I'm blind, I'm not seeing a 18" rifle action barrel on your sight, I see a mid action, but no rifle.

Comment

• jwilson1985

any reason you want rifle we have found mid to be faster and mor reliable but we can do a rifle length if thats what u really want

Comment

Originally posted by jwilson1985 View Post
                          any reason you want rifle we have found mid to be faster and mor reliable but we can do a rifle length if thats what u really want
                          Unless the 6.5 is different than the 556 I have found no difference in the two actions on barrels in the 19-20 inch range for reliability, I have built SPR's in both and actually found the mid slightly over gassed and the rifle with a better ballistics. I was seeing a difference of about 8-10 fps less on a 18" rifle vs a 20" rifle, where I was seeing about a 40fps difference between a 18 mid and a 18 rifle. I also never saw any reliabilty issues, I even tried it at 5* one time.

Comment

Yes, I prefer a rifle-length gas system in an 18" barrel, since the mid/18" seems over-gassed to me as well. You definitely need an adjustable gas block if you are pushing your loads with a mid-length system due to the added dwell time. A rifle-length gas with an adjustable gas block gives you a sweet envelope of being able to tune the system with hotter loads.

Comment

• m796rider
                              Warrior
                              • Jul 2011

Yep, no problems at all with my 18.25" rifle length 6.5G barrel. In fact, when shooting with the can on it is slightly overgassed - but nothing that worries me. Admittedly, I have only shot Hornady 123gr Amax factory ammo through my rifle.

Comment

Working...
                              X