Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Allen head A2 buttplate screw

Hey guys, quick question..

Anyone know where I can get an allen head replacement screw for the standard slotted buttplate screw used to hold on an A2 stock?? I can't believe in the year 2012 we are still using slotted screws..

It's a counter sunk screw so you just can't pick them up at the local Ace Hardware.. Though not as important, also for the rear swivel screw..

Thanks in advance..

flk k

It isn't just a screw, it is vented, you aren't going to find an vented allen head screw.
    Bob

Comment

Yes it is vented.. And I have given that vent a lot of thought.. I used to think it was fairly important.. I mean after all, it must take a custom step or two to put it there.. I assume it is used to vent the air displaced as the recoil buffer moves into the receiver extension..

But wouldn't the vent be covered by your shoulder anyway when firing the rifle, thus reducing the effectiveness of the vent??

Then there are the custom stocks which do not use vented screws.. Ace to name one.. They seem to function just fine without the vent..

So how important is that little vent hole??

flk k

Comment

The original Armalite prototypes and Colt production Model 601's (Green Rifles) had the vents on the inside surface of the extension tube, and a special wrench was used to tighten the RE, which was also secured unnecessarily to the lower with an intersecting roll pin.

Comment

• StoneTower

It has been said that the vent is to drain water if the gun gets dunked. The buffer has flat sides to vent air but if the gun goes in the water and it is not turned muzzle down there will be water in the buffer tube. I put a custom Limbsaver pad on a vintage A1 stock for an AR10 and everything that I learned said that if you don't dunk the rifle you will be fine without the vent. If you don't have the vent and you dunk the rifle (I would cry if I dunked one of my rifles) you need to tip it muzzle down to make sure the buffer tube is free of water. I don't think firing a precision rifle with a barrel full of water would be a good idea either. If you have a lathe and a few nuts (or a coupler nut) the correct size you could drill a vent hole in just a few minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
            It has been said that the vent is to drain water if the gun gets dunked...(I would cry if I dunked one of my rifles)...
            No kidding.. And I even cringe when I see anyone just drop their weapon in the movies..

If you have a lathe and a few nuts (or a coupler nut) the correct size you could drill a vent hole in just a few minutes.
            I think I'll be opting to just keep my rifles out of the water <grin>.. flk k

Comment

• rasp65
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

FL I recently put an Ace skeleton stock on an AR to replace the A-2 stock and they use unvented socket button head screws. I think as long as you don't dunk your rifle you will be fine.

Comment

I've seen issues with the vent plugged, mostly by junior shooters who used excessive lube on the spring and buffer, but, I'm an engineer and respect the engineering works of others, therefore, I don't recommend moving from the engineering work that went into the original design without similar testing that proves it isn't necessary.
                Bob

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2012

Just get a button head hex screw or the correct length and drill a hole town the center of it with a drill press use a factory slotted screw for reference while the vent may not be nessisary outside of combat conditions I see no reason to eliminate
                  Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Drifter
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by fkleinbu View Post
                    I can't believe in the year 2012 we are still using slotted screws..
                    Perhaps in this particular application, the vented slotted screws work as intended and failure rate has been low / nonexistent.
                    Drifter

Comment

• Clod Stomper

Originally posted by fkleinbu View Post
                      It's a counter sunk screw so you just can't pick them up at the local Ace Hardware.

flk k
                      Actually, that's exactly where I got some. They're not vented, though. They also aren't as wide as the factory screw, but they hold the buttstock on.

Will

Comment

Working...
                      X