Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leadfarmer

Reloading Question for Deer Load

Hi guys!! I have my 6.5G built and ready to go for this years deer season in SC, I have some Hornady Brass and Hornady 129g SST bullets. I was wondering if anyone had load data already compiled for me to load some good deer stoppers. I have a Satern SS match barrel 18" long with a custom muzzle break from Ross Schuler. I need some powder and I have a bunch of CCI 200 primers. Can I use those? I see lots of recommendations for CCI450.

Thanks Gents,
    K
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

Deer are pretty wimpy when you put the bullet it he right spot there are several stickys with load data in the ammo and reloading section just pick a powder you have on hand and go with it if it groups nice your set to rock and roll
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• skyfish
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

Use AA 2520, TAC, CFE223, or XBR8208 and that will work. Also, I have used CCI 200 primers, never had a slam fire, have switched to 450's though. Just keep muzzle in safe direction, and feed from mag. With the velocities of the Grendel, I still think the 123 A-max is the "deer" bullet.

Have fun hunting, can taste the backstraps!

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

If you examine bullet hang time in an animal as part of the killing process bullet design becomes less relevant as velocities go down but the Amax. With mushroom nicely at Grendel velocities where the sst may not as it was designed more for 260 velocities but I am a big fan of the Barnes hpbt hunting bullets they expand almost instantly and retain virtually all of there wieght and there non toxic to boot
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

LeadFarmer,

look through this thread The Chrony Reports. Starting at post #80, I began working up CFE223 loads with the 129g SST, and found an accuracy node at 2.270", 30.8g of CFE223 for my rifle. You can start at 29g and increase the charge by .3g until you get close and then fine tune it to your tube. First you have to know the "distance to lands" for your chamber. Here is an excellent guide for acquiring it if you haven't already Jump&Crimp

Comment

• Leadfarmer

Outstanding information!! Neat trick finding the C.O.L. never knew, I just went with what was in the load data sheet for max C.O.L. I will try and find some CFE223 or AA2520 powder and get some loads down range. I have fired my Grendel but only at an indoor range. Cant wait to really get out there. Central Florida really sucks for shooting sports, unless its GOLF or paintballs.

Comment

Leadfarmer,
              Central Florida Rifle and Pistol Club has a 300 yard range with pits.
              Port Malabar has 600 with Pits.
              Manatee has 1,000 yards walk and paste, ha!
              Okeechobee has 600 yards with pits
              Camp Blanding has 600 and 1,000 yards with pits
              And groups of us go up to AIM in South Georgia which has 1,000 yards with pits
              Bob
              PS I'm the President of the Florida Sport Shooting Association, the state NRA affiliate

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                Leadfarmer,
                Bob
                PS I'm the President of the Florida Sport Shooting Association, the state NRA affiliate
                http://www.flssa.org
                Bob,
                where is the AIM in south georgia? just curious as to how far it is from me. Thanks.

Comment

• Leadfarmer

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                  Leadfarmer,
                  Bob
                  http://www.flssa.org
                  Bob,

I live in Winter Park near Orlando. Any of these places close so I don't have to drive forever and a day?

Comment

Working...
                  X