• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COTNTOP
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Compact grendel

I have a 24" AWS with Shilen upgrade and my next quest is an ultralight Grendel. The 24" is just too big for lugging around. Looking suggestions for most accurate/light barrel and handguard setup. THANKS

If your lugging it around through the woods alot of guys on here are using 18 to 20" lengths. Handguard to me is a personal preference. You have to get what you like and what fits your needs. There are alot of good ones out there. You just have to decide whether you want a mid length handguard in the 9" length or a rifle length which is 12". Or an extended rifle length in the 14 to 15" length.

Comment

• Dogue
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

A 16-18" fluted barrel with a carbon fiber handguard combined with a ACE Ultralite stock, or similar, would make for a good start for a lightweight rig.
      Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I already have a 14.5" upper (on a registered SBR lower) from Sabre, but if I were doing it over I'd likely order up a 14.5" barrel from Satern and permanently attach an AAC blackout flash suppressor (for my can) to it. That'd get me legal length and negate the need for a stamped lower. To further keep the weight down I'd probably go with a midlength AA MK 10 handguard. That's probably about as light as you can easily go, and still be legal without any hassles. A 14.5" tube form Satren would be very accurate, and will also kill critters just as dead as the longer tubes.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

A good 16" fluted barrel and a Mid-West Ind. Gen 2 hand guard would fit the bill. This is what I used for my 5.56 and it's 7lbs with the Vortex red dot. To do the same for a Grendel it would be even a little lighter.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Like you, I started my AR grendels with a 24" barrel. Its accurate and all, but more the I need/want for hunting. I'll probably sell it in '13. I added a 16" (14.5 tube +break) upper and its much easier to carry around; it's just easier to hunt with . A bolt action Grendel is lighter still, and has fewer sharp edges to catch on stuff while hunting.

Comment

I have the AA ultralight, 14.5 Satern heavily fluted barrel with integral flash hider, Carbon Fiber hand guard, milled carrier, I love it. Handles like a pistol, yet consistently shoots sub MOA. There are pictures here http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...ll=1#post37482
              Bob

Comment

• leopard6.5

+1 on Bob's build. Mine is very close to his but I went with the Hogue over-molded handguard because I wanted the rubber on the handguard as a buffer against the cold steel during winter hunting.

I used the ACE ARFX Skeleton Buttstock to also save weight.

My rifle came in at just a tick under 5 lbs.

Good luck with your build.

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                  ...ultralight...heavily fluted
                  I like that contrast... ultralight... heavily...

On the rifle I am awaiting the fluting should remove almost 1# off a 20" barrel. I am aiming for [another pun] a 7 pounder before scope.

Comment

Working...
                  X