• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Friendly
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2018

anyone take Moose with the Grendel?

I just read the 17 pages in the 'knock down' thread, where the biggest animals, aside from hogs, were one cow elk and one black bear. nothing on Moose tho.

if you have, what was the load you used?
  • rabiddawg
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2013

I’m sure the range for a moose with a Grendel would be 10 yds at most so you might as well get proficient using a filter wrench so you can really be a bad ss

Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• Sixoeight
      Warrior
      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by rabiddawg View Post
      I’m sure the range for a moose with a Grendel would be 10 yds at most so you might as well get proficient using a filter wrench so you can really be a bad ss

+1 ��

Yeah IMO it's pushing it pretty hard hunting elk. That is just an opinnion but moose seems objectively like a bad idea. Can it be done? Of course, even a well places 22 short could technically kill a moose, but it's not an ethical choice.

Comment

• Popeye212
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2018

Swedes been kiliing em for decades with 6.5 in fact a favorite. load? 120 Nosler Partition or Accubond.

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

I think the size of their moose is more like our Rocky Mtn Elk, and their 6.5 isn't it more like a creed in capacity? Just from what I've read... no experience for it. I think your moose in Canada might be a tad big for the Grr.
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Popeye212
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2018

Read elsewhere they are not hard to kill. Got some Canadian friends I will ask them.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2015

Never been of the mind to try a moose hunt but honestly if I ever do I'm useing my grendel.

Comment

• Sixoeight
                Warrior
                • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Popeye212 View Post
                Swedes been kiliing em for decades with 6.5 in fact a favorite. load? 120 Nosler Partition or Accubond.
                Not all 6.5mm bullets leave the barrel in the same way.

6.5 Grendel (6.5x39) is not 6.5 Swede (6.5x55)

We are talking 500 extra ft lbs or so of energy at the muzzle. Which, assuming similar bullet characteristics, makes a big difference at any reasonable distance. 500 ft. Lbs. is about the energy difference between 223 and Grendel for reference.

Can you kill a moose or big elk with a Grendel? Yes. Should you? That's more complicated and I would err on the side of no personally.
                Last edited by Sixoeight; 07-21-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• 41bear
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2017

I think the determining factor will be the chosen bullet as well as shooter accuracy. Native Alaskans have been killing all sorts of game with calibers we might think of as way to limited in killing power, 25/35, 300 Savage, 30/30, 223, 22 LR, and yes also with an arrow. As substance hunters they can ill afford to lose game.

Beware the man with one gun.
                  "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• kpswihart
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2016

Comment

• 1Shot
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

The Swedes killing their moose with 6.5x55 is quite a step up from the Grendel. The typical round used is a round nose 150s gr bullet in the mid 2500 fps. That bullet is about as long as a rounded nose golf pencil and they really penetrate. These folks also know how to shoot and place the bullet where it needs to go which is pretty easy with most 6.5 Swedes because they are really accurate rifles. I have 5 or 6 of the Swede Mausers in my collection, lost count, and they all are tack drivers. I have one that some Bubba had started hacking on that I got really cheep that I sported and have done quite a bit of deer hunting with it. Stone cold killer. Realistically you can kill about any animal with a 22lr if you put it in the right place but it would not be my weapon of choice.

Comment

• Popeye212
                        Chieftain
                        • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Sixoeight View Post
                        Not all 6.5mm bullets leave the barrel in the same way.

6.5 Grendel (6.5x39) is not 6.5 Swede (6.5x55)

We are talking 500 extra ft lbs or so of energy at the muzzle. Which, assuming similar bullet characteristics, makes a big difference at any reasonable distance. 500 ft. Lbs. is about the energy difference between 223 and Grendel for reference.

Can you kill a moose or big elk with a Grendel? Yes. Should you? That's more complicated and I would err on the side of no personally.
                        Yes I know the cartridge is not a Swede. But with the bullets I mentioned they should have the penetration and performance. With proper placement the Grendel would be "adequate" Would I shoot one with Hornady Black..NO. Now if you want to "Knock one down" I think your up in Rigby,Weatherby and H&H territory. I think the OP is asking if it will kill one.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                          Chieftain
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by 41bear View Post
                          I think the determining factor will be the chosen bullet as well as shooter accuracy. Native Alaskans have been killing all sorts of game with calibers we might think of as way to limited in killing power, 25/35, 300 Savage, 30/30, 223, 22 LR, and yes also with an arrow. As substance hunters they can ill afford to lose game.

Beware the man with one gun.
                          Interestingly, they lose game just like everyone else. You have those that are good hunters and those that are not good hunters. Often the weapon of choice isn't determined by need, but by finances and availability. They may make shots that are not what we would consider to be ethical. Whether or not they lose game may depend on how many miles they are willing to track it more so than how exceptional they are with the gun.
                          Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                          My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• grayfox
                            Chieftain
                            • Jan 2017

I had some 129 Ablr's with my Grendel along on my elk hunt last year, the Ablr opens up down to 1300 ft/sec.
                            At 300 yds they were 2104 ft/s, 1268 ft-lb... at 100 yds 2331 ft/s, 1557 ft-lb.
                            So Ablr's might be a consideration if one were to go with their Grrr, but as others have said I wouldn't use mine as the primary, probably not even as a backup. I'd have my creed going heavy or 308 going heavy... but even with those I might think about going up to the 338 class, idk... might depend on how big of an animal I expected to shoot.
                            I like to have some margin on hand.
                            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• JASmith
                              Chieftain
                              • Sep 2014

Bullet placement, weight and construction are the principal factors when taking medium game as long as bullet hits within the manufacturer’s velocity design envelope. Go here for details: http://shootersnotes.com/ideal-bullet-weight/

Bottom line: The principal difference between performace of the Grendel and other 6.5 cartridges is the maximum range where the bullet reliably expands.
                              shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                              -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                              X