• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Fluted vs. Not

This discussion has probably happened multiple times on this forum, but honestly I didn't come across it in my search. And yes I was to lazy to search further back then the last several months. haha

So I've been working with Mark at Precision Firearms to build a 6.5 Gr AR around there 24" Neptune V (Five) Lilja upper 1:8 twist. I'm using a billet lower and a Magpul Prs stock to counter act the the heavier, longer upper. I intend to use this build to push the limits of the 6.5 Grendel in an AR platform.

I'm debating on using a fluted barrel as to save some weight.

Has anybody experienced any negative effects of a fluted barrel at longer ranges?
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Nope, no issues.

I shoot a fluted 28" out to 1000 yards.

You probably want to use a billet upper as well, if you want the best rigidity for max range.

Comment

None here either, I have several high quality fluted barrels and they all shoot really well.

Comment

Mines fluted never had a problem

Comment

• cory
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2012

Thanks! Between Mark and ya'll I believe I've been talked into it.
          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• kissmy300blkbrass

What kind of flutter barrels you guys running?

Comment

I have a Satern and two Pacnors that are fluted.
              Bob

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                Chieftain
                • May 2012

As long as the fluting is done during the barrel making process there is usually not a problem most of the problems I am aware of from fluting happen when people try to add fluting after the fact
                Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

Mine are Satern.

Comment

Fluting has very little if any effect on accuracy. There are several reasons (benefits) for fluting. The most comon and well known aspect is saving weight .... which you already know. Here are some others .......

1. It makes a barrel more rigid. The flutes make it harder for the barrel to flex. (I'm sure someone won't agree)
                    2. The flutes create more surface area on the barrel. More surface area allows for more heat exchange with the air, which allows the barrel to cool faster.

Comment

• StoneTower

I will agree with #2, but #1 is not quite correct as I understand it. Fluting make a barrel stiffer than a barrel that is unfluted but only compared to a smaller diameter barrel that is the diameter of the bottom of the flutes. It might reduce the "sag" of the barrel because it removes some of the weight when looking at a fluted and an unfluted equal diameter barrel, but it might not as a fluted barrel is less stiff than a barrel of equal diameter to the outside of the flutes.

What can be said is that there is more surface area for cooling and that it is a great way to have a larger diameter barrel with less weight.

Originally posted by Mutt View Post
                      Fluting has very little if any effect on accuracy. There are several reasons (benefits) for fluting. The most comon and well known aspect is saving weight .... which you already know. Here are some others .......

1. It makes a barrel more rigid. The flutes make it harder for the barrel to flex. (I'm sure someone won't agree)
                      2. The flutes create more surface area on the barrel. More surface area allows for more heat exchange with the air, which allows the barrel to cool faster.

Comment

I personally have no idea but stole this from the Shilen website FAQ section.

What about "fluting" a barrel?
                        Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot.

Comment

Howitzer,thats an interesting note, thanks.

Comment

• mtn_shooter

edit: didn't see there was a page 2. I agree with what Howitzer said.
                            Last edited by Guest; 07-19-2012, 02:48 AM.

Comment

I think what Shilen said about fluting is marketing babble. It certainly doesn't hold up to real life experience. So, it seems to me they want you to think that if another barrel manufacturer flutes barrels it is inferior to their barrel. That simply isn't true. Shilen makes good barrels some are hummers some aren't, there are better barrels, and there are better that are fluted. It's simply a weight saving technique that produces a more rigid barrel than a round barrel of the same length and same weight. If done correctly, and many can do it correctly, it is not a detriment to accuracy. However if you don't need to save the weight why spend the extra to remove material, it's a lot less expensive to profile a round barrel and leave it at that. All of my hunting rifles, well nearly all, are fluted, some of them out shoot Shilen unfluted barrels. For instance my PacNor 6.5 STW has routinely produced .25 MOA groups and it is fluted.
                              Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X