• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnjohn
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Non Lead Bullets with IMR 8208 XBR

I live in CA and don't have a choice for where I like to hunt. I have about 7lbs of IMR 8208 XBR powder. What brand of non lead bullets shoots well with IMR 8208 XBR out of AR platform? Bullet weight and brand would help. Thanks!
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Sorry too sound like a smart butt. No one can tell you the answer too your question.

Only your barrel can tell you what it likes. Better too pic the weight bullet you want or like and see if it will shoot out your barrel.

I can give a few names but can't tell you if they will shoot good out your gun.

85, 90, 95, 100 Trex by Maker.

100,120 ttsx,tsx,tac-tx, and 127 LRX by Barnes

Comment

• Bigs28
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2016

I would try the maker trex or barnes. The Lehigh defense controlled chaos shoot very well from my rifle but i won't hunt with them again.

Comment

• johnjohn
        Bloodstained
        • Oct 2014

Did Lehigh's not expand and did you lose game?
        Last edited by johnjohn; 06-11-2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• BobinNC
          Warrior
          • Oct 2017

Barnes Bullets load data for the 6.5 Grendel. All bullets list d are non-lead (except the match burner), and every bullet weight listed has data for IMR 8208 XBR. Now whether they will shoot well in your rifle is something only you can find out for yourself.

Last edited by BobinNC; 06-12-2019, 02:49 AM.

Comment

• Bigs28
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2016

Lehigh defense isn't designed to expand. They are designed to have the three petals break off creating 4 different wound channels (3 petals+core). I hit a deer at 20 yards right in the vitals. Buddy and i both watched it cave right behind the shoulder. Deer sprinted off into the brush. Found some hair at the spot i hit it but no blood trail. Nothing. Could track the run for about 75 yards from the foot prints but not a drop of blood and never found it. I will stick to expanding bullets that i know will punch through.

Comment

• grendelnubi
              Warrior
              • Apr 2017

If you are going to be using 8208, I would try to stay with the 90 to 100 grain lead free projectiles. 8208 will shoot the 123 grain but I believe the 100 grain would work best for you given the minimum 1800 fps expansion and limited velocity window you would have if using the heavier weight projectiles. Of coarse, the main factor would what range you generally hunt at.

Comment

• JASmith
                Chieftain
                • Sep 2014

In case one is worried about the effectiveness of 100 gr Barnes and other expanding lead-free bullets, their anchoring abilities are similar to those of classic 150 gr lead-core hunting bullets.

That means the Grendel with these bullets will be reliable for taking game weighing as much as 700 lb if the shooter does his or her part.

This discussion adds detail: http://shootersnotes.com/ideal-bullet-weight/
                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• johnjohn
                  Bloodstained
                  • Oct 2014

Thank you for all the good information here. I will start off with Barnes and see how it goes.

Comment

• Jakal
                    Warrior
                    • May 2014

I see that I tested 8208 and 100 grain Barnes TTSX & landed at 29.2 grains ( ladder from 26.5 to 29.5) running 2600 fps out of my 16" Alexander Arms barrel.

This a backup load as I settled on 33.9 grains of CFE & 100 TTSX running 2725 fps out of the same rifle.
                    ""Come taste my Shillelagh you goat-eatin bastard!""

Comment

• Labrat198
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2018

I was able to get better groups with Barnes 120 TTSX, but I maxed out my velocity at 2455 fps with 28.0 grains of XBR.

I have only gone up to 29.5 grains of XBR with the Barnes 100 TTSX at 2668 fps, but based on Hodgdons data I plan to inch my way up to 30.8 before this fall.

I am using a 18" group buy barrel.

Comment

Working...
                      X