• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sinclair
    Warrior
    • Feb 2018

Reloading question

I have 3 load development methods entered into my notebook. Depending on which one I follow, I will use 25 to 40 cases. My dilemma is that after I have developed my "special" load, can I just use that recipe to load up the other 700 or so new unfired Starline cases or do I have to fire form each of them first?

My second question is what do I do with the 300 or so mixed cases, mostly Hornady, some Nosler, and a few Federal? Develop a unique load for each of them separately?

Best Regards and Happy Holidays to my fellow forum members,
    Albert Sinclair
    "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
    Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
    Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.
  • Dt219
    Warrior
    • Nov 2020

Comment

• Klem
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Albert,

Fireforming does increase case volume, and so are there different volumes across case manufacturers. One way to to confirm this is to plug the primer pockets with spent primers or BluTac putty, and fill with water - then weigh them.

Lapua unfired are 35.13 grains of water.
      Lapua fired in my gun are 35.92 grains.
      Not a lot of difference but enough to be mindful it changes the internal combustion characteristics.

The good Starline load you end up perfecting may, or may not be related to case volume and neck tension. This is the difference between the 700 and 300. This, and how square the case sits in the chamber would definitely be a concern in Bench Rest and F Class competition, but it depends on your definition of accuracy, and what the gun is capable of. But you won't know until you test a few of each on the same day.

If you are shooting from an AR there won't much difference (if any), even when bench rested between unfired and fireformed.

Once you develop a good load there's no reason why you can't load up the rest of the 700. Stands to reason that using all the same components gives the same results, especially if all the other external variables do not change. Like barrel wear for example - 700 is not a lot of barrel wear in this calibre anyway.

For the other 300 I would separate them by brand and continue using them. Once less variable to interfere with group sizes.

Once perfected, you could try the same Starline load in the various 300 brand batches. You might get lucky and find it's a good load regardless of case.
      Last edited by Klem; 11-29-2022, 08:27 AM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
        I have 3 load development methods entered into my notebook. Depending on which one I follow, I will use 25 to 40 cases. My dilemma is that after I have developed my "special" load, can I just use that recipe to load up the other 700 or so new unfired Starline cases or do I have to fire form each of them first?

My second question is what do I do with the 300 or so mixed cases, mostly Hornady, some Nosler, and a few Federal? Develop a unique load for each of them separately?

Best Regards and Happy Holidays to my fellow forum members,
        Albert Sinclair
        In my own experience, not really. Dial in your load, run, and go. Aside from the grossly thicker 7.62x39 sourced resized brass, I've not really seen any difference in performance based on brass being used. Though I tend to segregate all the same.

As to fireforming - I doubt ammunition manufacturers fireform their brass prior to reloading it again for sale. Once you hit that 50,000 psi, the reaction and gas reservoir chamber is going to be the same now anyway.

There are a lot of details to worry about, but this isn't really one of them. JMHO
        4x P100

Comment

• Sinclair
          Warrior
          • Feb 2018

Thanks for the information. Over the years I have belonged to several forums, but this one has the most helpful and friendly bunch of all.
          Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."

Comment

• DHD
            Bloodstained
            • May 2022

If I am shooting one of my Benchrest rifles, I'll use a smaller number of brass (usually 100) and do all of the tedious prep work and shoot that 100 pieces until either the primer pockets are done or the barrel is toast. For an AR, I'll up that number of pieces to 200 and run them until either the primer pockets are done or I start to lose some from split necks. As I anneal, split necks aren't common but it happens. My rambling point is if you don't run too heavy of a load and take care of your brass, it'll last for a good while. If you're attending a class and plan on leaving the brass on the ground, you'll not be shooting a Grendel I suspect....

I wouldn't load up hundreds of rifle loads unless you were attending a match where you'll need that ammo. I probably keep no more loaded ammo than I plan to shoot my next target session so I don't need hundreds loaded up. Defensive or SHTF ammo is another matter entirely.

For my boltguns I do fireform but not the AR's.

Comment

• Sinclair
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

Originally posted by DHD View Post
              I wouldn't load up hundreds of rifle loads unless you were attending a match where you'll need that ammo. I probably keep no more loaded ammo than I plan to shoot my next target session so I don't need hundreds loaded up. Defensive or SHTF ammo is another matter entirely.

For my boltguns I do fireform but not the AR's.
              Thanks, That is my dilemma, the 700+ will be for the duo role of target work at local gun club, but also standby for the SHTF day. At my age I do not expect to last long, but as a loyal American Patriot, I would like to make my oath to defend my Country, the Constitution, and its Flag for which it stands be known and go out with a bang. Somewhere I saw a prayer that went something like this, " Lord, let me live free, if not free, then let me die in a pile of brass."
              Last edited by Sinclair; 12-05-2022, 08:07 PM.
              Edward Abbey

Comment

• 603 Country
                Warrior
                • Apr 2022

Comment

Working...
                X