mini howa grendel finally done (I hope) and update on the Stockys carbon fiber blem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tdbru
    Warrior
    • Dec 2019

mini howa grendel finally done (I hope) and update on the Stockys carbon fiber blem

Mr. S.Coyote,
    I finally got the blem carbon fiber stock from Stocky's somewhat camo'd in my amateur paint job. I did use Brownells accraglass gel to epoxy bed the barreled action. This started out several (5 now I think) years ago as one of the camo dipped mini howas. I didn't care for the tupperware stock or the plastic bottom metal. The detachable magazine I could take or leave but the release caused several magazine drops when out hunting/shooting and that was no good, so I got one of HokeyPokeyKid's (Jefferson Outdoors) Obendorf bottom metal kits which looks a lot classier and carries much better. Anyway, without the scope covers, the rig with sling goes 2.869kg (6lbs, 5oz) and without sling goes 2.756kg (6lbs, 1oz). With a lighter weight scope I think you could get it under 6 lbs. The scope was a discontinued Leupold model that was on sale. the mounts are Talley ringmounts. Unfortunately Leupold has discontinued their 9oz FXII-4x which I think was one of their lightest rifle scopes. Anyway this with the 22" std barrel. if you'd go with the shorter light weight 20" barrel and a lighter weight scope, I suspect a 2.5kg (5.5 lbs.) mini Howa would be entirely doable.

I called Legacy to see if they'd sell me one of the carbon stalker stocks since I already had the rifle. no dice. but Stockys would sell a blem. If I was doing it all over again it'd be way cheaper to buy the carbon stalker in 6.5Grendel up front, but that wasn't available when I got the camo dipped one.

cheers,
    -tdbru

6.5Grendel_mini_howa.jpg

JeffersonOutdoorsminihowabottommetal.jpg
    Last edited by tdbru; 11-26-2022, 04:03 PM. Reason: hit return by mistake
Working...
X