• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Two Tone
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2022

What tools to build my first AR?

Now that I have a barrel, I want to get started on my AR build.

Is there a comprehensive kit with all the receiver blocks, punches, gas block holders, wrenches, etc. that one needs?

I also want to take apart an M4 upper I laid hands on to rebuild it with an M Lok handguard.

Thanks.
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

TT,

Probably, but most builders will be adding individual parts along the way to a bunch of basic tools found in many workshops.

Half the build requires a normal vise, small hammer and punches you might already have, or can borrow. The various roll pins require some pretty small diameter punches and drivers (1/16', 3/32", 5/64"). You might be able to get away with stock on hand in your shed with a hacksaw and file.

You'll need access to a ft-lb torque wrench, and a smaller in-lb wrench.
    Hex drivers for the handguard and gas block (is is pinned? Does it have flats or dimples?).

Specific to gun building:
    • A barrel vice is always a good thing. If not you can fashion one out of wood for a one-off build - for holding the barrel firmly and isolating torque for muzzle devices and doing up the barrel nut.
    • A barrel extension torque bar, or you can use an action clamp with torque isolating insert. There are a few ways you can do this and everyone has an opinion. Do your homework and make a decision.
    • There are different types of barrel nuts, requiring different tools to interface with the torque wrench (what type of barrel nut is it?).

Not compulsory but you can line-up the upper rail exactly with the handguard rail, with a scope mount that straddles the join. This, as you tighten the handguard.

You'll need to know the recommended torque specs for the fasteners.

You'll need lube, grease and glues. There are opinions on this so you need to make informed decisions on how you want your gun assembled.

Do you need to install the dust cover and bolt assist on the upper receiver, or is it already complete?

Do you need to install a muzzle device?

Comment

• DeNinny
      Warrior
      • Sep 2022

Originally posted by Two Tone View Post
      Now that I have a barrel, I want to get started on my AR build.

Is there a comprehensive kit with all the receiver blocks, punches, gas block holders, wrenches, etc. that one needs?

I also want to take apart an M4 upper I laid hands on to rebuild it with an M Lok handguard.

Thanks.
      This kit was a good start for me:

I got it on sale at Cabela's. And I bought the Wheeler torque screwdriver. It's not the best kit but it gets the job done. I built my first AR with it. I have issues with the armorer's wrench and vise block and have since then switched to Real Avid's wrench and lug-lok upper vise block.

Klem covered most of the bases already, so I'll just add that you should get both blue and red loctite (or other thread locker) and think about whether or not you want to bed your barrel and lap your upper for it. And, like Klem said, definitely make sure you know what wrench you need for your barrel nut!

Also, this is the first of a series of videos on how to build an AR. Start with this one, but he covers the entire process well in subsequent videos. https://youtu.be/DC4CCwk6fEw
      Last edited by DeNinny; 09-23-2022, 03:42 AM.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Some tools I consider must have are a good vice, the Midwest Industries Armorer's Wrench, Midwest Industries Upper Receiver Rod,

You can go as cheep or expensive as you want, but these are a few other tools and items I recommend..

Forward control Joint Castle nut Wrench, roll pin starter punch set, Molykote G-n Metal Assembly paste
        NcStar VISM Blue Jig, 1/2 inch torque wrench, Wheeler Engineering Fat Wrench Torque Screwdriver, Starrett 117AA 1/16 center punch, Starrett 117C center punch, brass and Steele punch sets,Forward control GPT (Gas tube Pin Tool) Brownells PIVOT PIN INSTALLATION TOOL, blue loctite, Vira Tite Vc3, Rocksett,

Comment

• okiecat
          Warrior
          • Sep 2017

A clean white room, floor must be clean and prefer white. this is to find those little springs and plungers that go flying thru the air while trying to insert! You can order extras without buying complete kits.

Comment

• Steve_evetS
            Bloodstained
            • Nov 2023

Stevewest industries reaction rod

20220427_043413.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X