• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve_evetS
    Bloodstained
    • Nov 2023

Firing Pin

I measured the protrusion of my firing pin. 0.042" anyone else have to modify the protrusion of their firing pin? I attached my pin to a Jacobs chuck drill and made sure it was centered, then proceeded to us a mini-file to remove material till it was 0.036" the maximum measurement for ar15/m16. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Steve_evetS; 11-30-2023, 07:13 AM.
  • Old Bob
    Warrior
    • Oct 2019

You may have had an "Enhanced" firing pin for 7.62x39 type 1 AR bolts. The enhanced firing pin has a longer tip than regular AR firing pins. They're made that way to improve primer strikes on steel cased 7.62x39 ammo fired in AR type rifles. The enhanced pin is on the left.

ARFiringPins-Enhanced for7.62x39&Normal5.56mm.JPG
    I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Steve_evetS
      Bloodstained
      • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Old Bob View Post
      You may have had an "Enhanced" firing pin for 7.62x39 type 1 AR bolts. The enhanced firing pin has a longer tip than regular AR firing pins. They're made that way to improve primer strikes on steel cased 7.62x39 ammo fired in AR type rifles. The enhanced pin is on the left.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20080[/ATTACH]
      Thanks old bob what should I use to polish the end 2000 grit? Do u think it not being polished will end up in pierced primers? Should I just SEND IT! and see what happens?

Comment

• Old Bob
        Warrior
        • Oct 2019

Emery cloth or some of that red polishing compound on a cloth wheel.

Comment

• Steve_evetS
          Bloodstained
          • Nov 2023

Emery cloth or some of that red polishing compound on a cloth wheel.
          I ended up just touching it up with 600grit followed by 1000grit. looks great cant feel any scratches let alone see any. Remeasured its at 0.345"I figured I keep it longer rather than shorter for the firing pin was on the long side and worked fine.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Comment

• Steve_evetS
              Bloodstained
              • Nov 2023

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20080[/ATTACH]
              Hey Old Bob,
              Have U used the type I 7.62x39 pin? I think I need to order another for, the pin that I shaved is now causing a failure to fire situation do to light primer strikes.

20231126_190942.jpg
              Last edited by Steve_evetS; 11-27-2023, 02:15 AM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                Warrior
                • Oct 2019

Originally posted by Steve_evetS View Post
                Hey Old Bob,
                Have U used the type I 7.62x39 pin? I think I need to order another for, the pin that I shaved is now causing a failure to fire situation do to light primer strikes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20113[/ATTACH]
                Does the firing pin you modified reliably set off primers in brass cases? The pic shows a pretty weak strike on the steel cases. I take it, those examples did not fire. I think you'd be OK with a new mil-spec pin, but if not, you can try the enhanced pin. I got the enhanced 7.62x39 firing pin to use in my 6mm ARC AR in case I had light strikes on 220 Russian brass that has been resized to 6mm ARC. The headspace on 220 Russian brass is shorter than the headspace on 6mm ARC brass. To compensate for the different headspace lengths, I seated the bullets out to where they just touch the lands in the chamber throat & the case base is up against the face of the bolt. This will enable me to fire-form the 220 Russian cases to the 6mm ARC chamber. I hope the primers will ignite reliably with a mil-spec pin, but if they don't, I'll put in the enhanced 7.62x39 pin.
                Last edited by Old Bob; 11-27-2023, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Steve_evetS
                  Bloodstained
                  • Nov 2023

Yes Bob,
                  Brass cased primers have no problems igniting. The only problem I have is with the wolf steel cased primers

Comment

• Steve_evetS
                    Bloodstained
                    • Nov 2023

I reached out to Faxon and the REP said he had a few firing pins laying around and he said he might be able to send me one if he has that cartridge pin on hand.

Comment

• Growler
                      Warrior
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Steve_evetS View Post
                      Hey Old Bob,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20113[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Steve_evetS
                        Bloodstained
                        • Nov 2023

Thx I got a Rise Armament 434HP drop in and it worked great before I shave the firing pin down to .0345" from .042" it does fire brass just fine noooo problems but, the steel cased ammo I will get good primer strikes but, no fire condition. I am pretty sure it is because of the harder primers of the Wolf Ammo. I shaved it down because the Wolf ammo was experiencing ruptured cases and the pin protrusion should werk @ .0345" I guess you have to live and learn. shoulda kept it @ .042"

Comment

• VASCAR2
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Comment

• Steve_evetS
                            Bloodstained
                            • Nov 2023

Did u check out Mag Mods post? I am pretty shure my ruptured cases were from the magazine putting a dent gouge in the shoulder area for, that's were it was rupturing when I ran the wolf ammo last time out I didnt get any rultured cases just a no fire condition

Comment

Working...
                            X