Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• Pwoller
        Bloodstained
        • Apr 2019

Thanks guys. Looking at the refurbished vipers. Which model and reticle would you suggest?

Comment

• VASCAR2
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-23-2020, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Pwoller View Post
            Last edited by VASCAR2; 08-23-2020, 11:26 PM.

Comment

• drewthebrave
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

I feel most of my posts these days are simply echoing VASCAR's sentiments, since his posts pretty much nail it. I agree that Warne X-Skel mounts are a fantastic way to get a little extra elevation adjustment on a budget (if some long range shooting is in your future), as I have one on my Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x, and a Stoner mount from Midway (that I suspect came from the same factory as the Warne X-Skel) on my SWFA SS 3-15x. Both have been rock solid and Warne are my go-to choice for affordable mounts.

While I haven't hunted with night vision, I feel a decent scope with a 3-9x or 2-10x magnification range and a simple SFP reticle does the trick nicely within 300 yards -- without breaking the bank.

If I was building a hunting AR15 from scratch today, I'd probably get the new SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10x scope with BDC reticle. At only 9.5oz, it seems perfect for a compact or lightweight hiking & backpacking gun:
              SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

They have a kit with an Aero Lightweight mount for a nice discount, but that is backordered:
              SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

I've had great luck with SWFA optics over the years, and feel like they offer fantastic value for the money.

Comment

• tdbru
                Warrior
                • Dec 2019

look around for a used Leupold if budget is an issue. they're guaranteed for life. doesn't matter new or used. they can re-furb it if you wish too. or change reticles, or put on CDS knobs etc.

and look for Leupolds new but discontinued models on your dealers' shelves. sometimes one can get a big discount on models that they decided to drop. i picked up a Vx-R Patrol new, for about 1/2 MSRP simply because they were being dropped. i like it a lot. look at the Vx-3 or Vx-3i lines. of course they have much higher end stuff too.

but don't be afraid to pickup a used Leupy if you can find one. they're good in my experience.
                -tdbru

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by drewthebrave View Post
                  While I haven't hunted with night vision, I feel a decent scope with a 3-9x or 2-10x magnification range and a simple SFP reticle does the trick nicely within 300 yards -- without breaking the bank.

If I was building a hunting AR15 from scratch today, I'd probably get the new SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10x scope with BDC reticle. At only 9.5oz, it seems perfect for a compact or lightweight hiking & backpacking gun:
                  My favorite scope is an old Gen I Vortex PST SFP 2.5-10x. The reticle might be a little thin for the deep, dark woods, but hey, that's why they make illuminated reticles.

I'm planning to put a SWFA Ultralight BDC on a 5.56 pencil build I'm doing. Waiting for Black Friday.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• diggler1833
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2020

While a great deal of information has been covered and is quite good, I might add that if you are using the scope to work up loads, having a little more magnification up top isn't a bad thing.

Most of us can knock off a tenth or two in group size by dialing up the magnification (i.e. I have a .223 bolt gun that is a .6 MOA shooter with a fixed 10x USO on it, but I shoot.5 MOA or a little better sometimes when it's wearing a 6-24x Sightron SIII).

A 500 dollar limit will include a lot of decent optics...I might say though that few in that price range are going to have dead nuts repeatability or exact adjustments if you do a lot of dialing, so a good BDC might be a better option.

My last scope at your price limit was a Trijicon 4-16 Accupower (now discontinued). I got it on sale from Optics Planet for a hair under $500...but I think I've seen them floating around for around $600 on Gunbroker. In that price point, you aren't going to beat the glass either...And I have a handful of mid-level Vortex, Leupold, and Bushnell scopes to compare it to.

Comment

Working...
                    X