• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • montana
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
    the term is meant to cover any and all firearms that the user wants included.
    I get it, that was my point. I assume the use of the word "user" was a gentler synonym for, "ravenous anti second amendment hoplophobe"?

There is no clear technical definition,
    Glad to see we agree!

P.S. I presume that by M1A1 you actually meant M1A?
    Yup! Corrected, thank you.
    Last edited by montana; 05-30-2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• stanc
      Banned
      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by montana View Post
      I get it, that was my point.
      Oh. Since you wrote a rather long paragraph repeatedly complaining about the absence of a clear definition, it appeared that you didn't understand why there is none.

Originally posted by montana
      I assume the use of the word "user" was a gentler synonym for, "ravenous anti second amendment hoplophobe"?
      LOL. No. "User" was chosen because the Gun Digest books also use the term "assault weapon" to include any firearm that the editors wanted to cover in the publication.

IMO, 2A supporters are wasting their time harping on the lack of a technical definition. Since it is a useful term for anti-gun activists, they're not going to stop using it.

It may make Liberty Doll feel smug and self-righteous to ridicule those who talk about assault weapons, but it won't stop the efforts to get anti-gun legislation enacted.

Comment

• montana
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Oh. Since you wrote a rather long paragraph repeatedly complaining about the absence of a clear definition, it appeared that you didn't understand why there is none.
        Yea, I can get long winded

LOL. No. "User" was chosen because the Gun Digest books also use the term "assault weapon" to include any firearm that the editors wanted to cover in the publication.
        That was kinda my point, a term that is meaningless.

IMO, 2A supporters are wasting their time harping on the lack of a technical definition. Since it is a useful term for anti-gun activists, they're not going to stop using it.
        This is where I disagree, exposing the lefts meaningless term for banning firearms exposes their meaningless accusations. Maybe not for the hopeless kool aid drinkers, but for the fence sitters and uninformed voters, "who can still use logic and reason" it can have a positive effect.

It may make Liberty Doll feel smug and self-righteous to ridicule those who talk about assault weapons, but it won't stop the efforts to get anti-gun legislation enacted.
        Whats wrong with feeling smug and self-righteous?
        It is the undecided voters she could have a positive effect on. The anti's will never stop, that I agree with.

Comment

• stanc
          Banned
          • Apr 2011

That was kinda my point, a term that is meaningless.
          I was addressing your remark that you assumed I opted to employ the word "user" as a gentler synonym for "ravenous anti second amendment hoplophobe".

I did not use it as a "gentler synonym" for anti-gun activists. I chose to use it because it applied equally well to the pro-gun Gun Digest assault weapons books.

This is where I disagree, exposing the lefts meaningless term for banning firearms exposes their meaningless accusations. Maybe not for the hopeless kool aid drinkers, but for the fence sitters and uninformed voters, "who can still use logic and reason" it can have a positive effect.
          That seems rather like wishful thinking to me. Unless you can provide some evidence that any fence sitters have been positively affected by ridicule of the "assault weapon" term?

Whats wrong with feeling smug and self-righteous?
          It is the undecided voters she could have a positive effect on.
          Color me skeptical. Judging by the comments, the only folks who view her videos are devout gun guys. She's preaching to the choir, and getting the predictable "Amen" response.

Comment

• montana
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

I was addressing your remark that you assumed I opted to employ the word "user" as a gentler synonym for "ravenous anti second amendment hoplophobe".

I did not use it as a "gentler synonym" for anti-gun activists. I chose to use it because it applied equally well to the pro-gun Gun Digest assault weapons books.
            OK

That seems rather like wishful thinking to me. Unless you can provide some evidence that any fence sitters have been positively affected by ridicule of the "assault weapon" term?
            No hard evidence, just the understanding of logic and reason. If a term has no real meaning other than the propaganda value for the dim witted or click bait to sell gun digest books, the intelligent voters will see through it's pointlessness. I know this is asking a lot from many voters, but doing nothing is even less productive.

Color me skeptical. Judging by the comments, the only folks who view her videos are devout gun guys. She's preaching to the choir, and getting the predictable "Amen" response.
            Kind of like on this forum LOL. It is easy to turn up one's feet and give up, or say it is pointless, but many of us refuse to think that way. Faith in right or wrong, God, freedom, etc maybe hard for many to understand, but it does motivate many of us. Yea, having faith in something is what it is all about and the fortitude to never quit. We can only hope our faith is for the right things and does good instead of evil. No argument here.

Comment

• stanc
              Banned
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by stanc
              No hard evidence, just the understanding of logic and reason. If a term has no real meaning other than the propaganda value for the dim witted or click bait to sell gun digest books, the intelligent voters will see through it's pointlessness. I know this is asking a lot from many voters, but doing nothing is even less productive.
              I'm not saying do nothing. I just think it's pointless -- and probably ineffective -- to expend time and effort attacking the "assault weapons" term.

The real issue is not what title anti-gun activists (or book publishers) use. The important part is the legislation proposed (and the book's content).

Kind of like on this forum LOL. It is easy to turn up one's feet and give up, or say it is pointless, but many of us refuse to think that way. Faith in right or wrong, God, freedom, etc maybe hard for many to understand, but it does motivate many of us. Yea, having faith in something is what it is all about and the fortitude to never quit. We can only hope our faith is for the right things and does good instead of evil.
              Well, as far as I can tell, right and wrong, good and evil, don't actually exist. But, that's a philosophical discussion outside the purview of this forum...

Comment

• montana
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Well, as far as I can tell, right and wrong, good and evil, don't actually exist. But, that's a philosophical discussion outside the purview of this forum...
                I tried that defense a long time ago with my Dad. He showed me the truth in an honest to goodness wood shed. I have been a believer ever since!

Comment

Working...
                X