• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 41bear
    Warrior
    • Jan 2017

Finland shows us the way

This is, I feel, the way to reverse our 2nd battle.

Great teaching aid for kids, a refreshing positive response to the anti gunner from just about any angle. What say y'all?
    "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Guess I'm just surprised that MSdnc prints anything pro-2A.
    But, go Finland!!!
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Finland has quite a few ranges all over as it is, so this is interesting. I’ve shot and trained with FDF on many of them from 2005-2016, from Santahamina Island off the coast of Helsinki all the way up into Lapland at Sodankylä.

I think they need to focus on FPV drone operator programs and drone development for tiny to large drones, a distributed manufacturing base for them, parts supply, logistics, and drone-employed weapons. Everything from hand-held FPV to deep penetration VLO/Stealth drones with heavy weapons carrying capacity.

They won’t get F-35A Block 4s until 2026 for initial training units and then will replace their F/A-18C/D Hornets from 2028-2030.

That is the real game-changer which takes Finland from a defensive, turn-to-ground guerrilla tactics posture to one of strategic deterrence.

Finland only has 5.6 million people, so Russia doesn’t really take them seriously and the actual history of the Winter and Continuation Wars is not taught to Russians, or even known in the Kremlin. Putin’s generation never learned it either.

They learned that the fascist Finns attacked and invaded poor Russia, and I have seen and photographed the maps in the Central Red Army Museum in Moscow showing all this.

They don’t learn the reality that Stalin invaded Finland in 1939. Russians consider any territory that was once controlled by them during Tsarist times as rightfully theirs, and any ethnic or linguistic population different from them in those places are not even worth considering other than barking little dogs that need to be stomped into submission or exterminated.

This is literally how several people from within Russian intelligentsia explained Finland and Estonia to me. They really don’t like St. Petersburg being vulnerable and so close to a non-Russian nation, since St. Petersburg is their 2nd largest city, considered by many to be the brains of Russia.

Geographically, the real defense posture of Finland is the Karelian isthmus that you see there between the Baltic and Lake Ladoga. There isn’t anything to invade really north of there other than lakes and forest. On both sides of the border, that’s all there is. On the Russian side, there’s only one 2-lane road from Saint Petersburg up to Murmansk. For reference, Finland is the size of California, not a small nation by land area, but relatively uninhabited with population density all in the south around Helsinki mainly.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• 41bear
        Warrior
        • Jan 2017

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
        Finland has quite a few ranges all over as it is, so this is interesting. I’ve shot and trained with FDF on many of them from 2005-2016, from Santahamina Island off the coast of Helsinki all the way up into Lapland at Sodankylä.

I think they need to focus on FPV drone operator programs and drone development for tiny to large drones, a distributed manufacturing base for them, parts supply, logistics, and drone-employed weapons. Everything from hand-held FPV to deep penetration VLO/Stealth drones with heavy weapons carrying capacity.

They won’t get F-35A Block 4s until 2026 for initial training units and then will replace their F/A-18C/D Hornets from 2028-2030.

That is the real game-changer which takes Finland from a defensive, turn-to-ground guerrilla tactics posture to one of strategic deterrence.

Finland only has 5.6 million people, so Russia doesn’t really take them seriously and the actual history of the Winter and Continuation Wars is not taught to Russians, or even known in the Kremlin. Putin’s generation never learned it either.

They learned that the fascist Finns attacked and invaded poor Russia, and I have seen and photographed the maps in the Central Red Army Museum in Moscow showing all this.

They don’t learn the reality that Stalin invaded Finland in 1939. Russians consider any territory that was once controlled by them during Tsarist times as rightfully theirs, and any ethnic or linguistic population different from them in those places are not even worth considering other than barking little dogs that need to be stomped into submission or exterminated.

This is literally how several people from within Russian intelligentsia explained Finland and Estonia to me. They really don’t like St. Petersburg being vulnerable and so close to a non-Russian nation, since St. Petersburg is their 2nd largest city, considered by many to be the brains of Russia.

Geographically, the real defense posture of Finland is the Karelian isthmus that you see there between the Baltic and Lake Ladoga. There isn’t anything to invade really north of there other than lakes and forest. On both sides of the border, that’s all there is. On the Russian side, there’s only one 2-lane road from Saint Petersburg up to Murmansk. For reference, Finland is the size of California, not a small nation by land area, but relatively uninhabited with population density all in the south around Helsinki mainly.
        Thanks for your input, a very interesting people indeed.
        "Wild flower, growin' thru the cracks in the street" - Problem Child by Little Big Town

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

I’ve been traveling to Finland since 1979, have lived there several times over the years, as part of my immediate family is from Finland.

We lost 3 of my great uncles in the Winter and Continuation Wars, my great aunt, and it basically tore my grandpa’s family apart.

He was in a family band where everyone played music instruments before the war. His sister was kidnapped and murdered by the Germans when they were in Finland as well.

One of my great uncles disappeared and was taken to Russia, never to be seen again.

Finns don’t have the luxury of being ignorant about geopolitics of that region.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
          X