• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Y85
    Warrior
    • Sep 2012

Interesting Book

I wanted to take a bit of a chance and recommend that folks consider reading the book "Gun Guys" by Dan Baum. I really thought it was an interesting, and evenhanded, discussion of both sides of the gun control/Second Amendment debate.

Dan (I don't know him personally but I have e-chatted a couple of times with him after I read his book) is not typical of either side of this polarizing issue. He is a hunter, a shooter, the possessor of a concealed carry permit, and a Democrat (capital "D"). His political leanings, in areas not related to the Second Amendment, would be best described as liberal. The fact that he wrote the book is proof that not all of us are the same -- and that there is common ground that can be found among people of good will.

I most enjoyed the book because he talked to people on all sides of this debate and, I must say, I was really surprised by how intolerant the folks at the Brady Commission were. I was also gratified that the folks at the NRA seemed genuinely willing to discuss the issues civilly.

Not that either side looked perfect, but it was one of the few books I've read recently (and I've read most of the new ones -- American Shooter, Living with Guns, etc) that honestly tried to portray the pleasures of shooting/hunting, the polychromatic nature of the shooting sports, and latent heroism inherent in the concealed carry dilemma.

I will guarantee you that you will not agree with everything Dan writes but I do believe that all of us are well served by listening to, and learning from, each other.

Anyone who has the chance, take a look at "Gun Guys" and let us know your thoughts.
Working...
X