• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeus
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2018

6mmAR loads.....

For all those interested here's some of the test results that I've gotten from my Saberco 26" Upper......the good, the bad and the ugly......

• bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

Why didn't you make em all like #2?
    Very good results overall.

Comment

• Popeye212
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2018

Nice thanks for the post. Actually dang you, you are going to make me build one those.....

Comment

• soloelcap
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2017

Looking good. Few Questions on your results.

Do you have any AV, SD, ES for these loads?
        Did you clean the barrel between powder/bullet combo test?
        What brass and is it match prepped?
        What is 36X?

Just curious as I'm working up loads for the same cal, 6mm Grendel. Not much info out there.

What are you using this build for?
        Thanks
        NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• Zeus
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by soloelcap View Post
          Looking good. Few Questions on your results.

Do you have any AV, SD, ES for these loads?
          Did you clean the barrel between powder/bullet combo test?
          What brass and is it match prepped?
          What is 36X?
          No
          No
          Starline and No
          36X is the Sightron SIII scope that I use for load testing from time to time
          My rifle is being used for informal target shooting and long range varmint shooting

To expand a little bit....I haven't used a chronograph for my load testing with my 6AR yet. I like to get the accuracy to a consistent, happy point and then check the numbers. That way I don't get hung up on velocity too much.

I don't clean the barrels on any of my rifles until accuracy starts to drop off. I've never noticed a significant difference (other than needing to foul it again) in my groups by doing so.

As far as prepping brass goes I've tried it all and once again didn't notice any measurable difference in my groups. I suppose it might help a high end target rifle but for my needs it's just more work for basically the same results.
          Last edited by Zeus; 05-05-2018, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• soloelcap
            Bloodstained
            • Jun 2017

Interesting approach for working up a load on a wildcat.
            NRA Mid Range Tactical Prone High Master, NRA High Power Rifle Master, NRA F-Class Mid Range Expert, Master of the Stone

Comment

• soloelcap
              Bloodstained
              • Jun 2017

If you are not that concerned about max velocity try Varget. Varget is the go to for 6BR and the cases are similar in H20 capacity, the 6mm Grendel is closer to the 6BR than the 6PPC. I've been using the Berger 6BR data, starting with the start load and using QL to verify. So far so good and Varget works well.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                Chieftain
                • May 2016

Originally posted by soloelcap View Post
                If you are not that concerned about max velocity try Varget. Varget is the go to for 6BR and the cases are similar in H20 capacity, the 6mm Grendel is closer to the 6BR than the 6PPC. I've been using the Berger 6BR data, starting with the start load and using QL to verify. So far so good and Varget works well.
                What sort of velocity are you getting with Varget? I just cross referenced Hodgdons 6mm BR data with Whitley's and all of Whitley's data has higher charges than Hodgdon's max charges for the powders they both list. I've been on a roll elsewhere with Benchmark and Hodgdons has 6mm BR data for Benchmark. Might give that a whirl.
                Let's go Brandon!

Comment

• soloelcap
                  Bloodstained
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by StoneHendge View Post
                  What sort of velocity are you getting with Varget? I just cross referenced Hodgdons 6mm BR data with Whitley's and all of Whitley's data has higher charges than Hodgdon's max charges for the powders they both list. I've been on a roll elsewhere with Benchmark and Hodgdons has 6mm BR data for Benchmark. Might give that a whirl.
                  The Berger Load Data is more powder extensive and comes closer to what Whiley's got listed. Whitley says for the 6mm AR 27.8 of H4895 for the Berger 105's and Max for the the 6BR is 28.3 H4895 according to the Berger Manual, so fairly close. The 6BR has around 1.5-2 grains more H20 that the 6mm AR depending on what brand cases you happen to measure. The Hodgon Data seems to be more conservative.

I'm not going to hijack Zeus's thread with velocity since my barrel is different from yours or his. Out of a 20" barrel with a 95 TMK Varget I'm already faster than the 6BR H data and right on with the Berger data taking in consideration the barrel length and less powder. I double check the results with Quick Load, it has 6mm AR in the data base. If you are getting more than the Max Vel. of the 6BR you are probably at or very near the danger zone. Whitley's Chrono results for the 26" Hart barrel are right there + some fps. compared to the 6BR, his load is probably a little hot as that's how those Match Rifle shooters load em and don't let them sit in the chamber too long.

There are a lot of powders suited to the 6mm AR/Grendel (whatever you want to call it) it just depends on how much time and money you want invest in working up a load (and barrel life).

Comment

• Zeus
                    Bloodstained
                    • Mar 2018

Fell free to discuss any 6mmAR related load topics in my thread....with such little data out there I'm not gonna worry about being hijacked!

Comment

• Zeus
                      Bloodstained
                      • Mar 2018

75 grain Vmax test.....I am really looking for a long range varmint load with a heavier bullets but am not leaving any stone un-turned....The gentleman that sold me the upper mentioned that it shot the 75 Vmax well so I had to give it a shot....Well it looks pretty good during the early stages of testing....We shall see how it holds up with 10 shot groups and longer ranges.......Here's the results of my 5 shot groups from this afternoon:

Comment

• soloelcap
                        Bloodstained
                        • Jun 2017

Looking good Zeus. I had great results with the 87 Z-Max in my other 6mm AR barrel (like 1 hole groups) . If I were shooting rodents I would use the 75 or 87. I'm shooting at the MR-1 target so MOA is fine for my purpose.

Worked up a 95TMK H4985 load today, great results with that powder. All thrown with RCBS meter.
                        McGowen 20" barrel, Hornady brass no neck turn, 7 1/2 primer, TMK's are BN coated. Prone with bi-pod fixed 12X scope, 100 yrds.

26. Av 2609 sd 27 es 76 3/4" 5 shots
                        26.5 2659 15 28 1/2"
                        26.8 2700 1 2 5/8"
                        27.1 2724 2 4 1" worst group
                        27.4 2784 13 26 QL says danger but no major pressure signs

H4895 seems to work well in this barrel, all groups were Moa or less. The low es around 2700 is good and what I'm trying to achieve, low ES is what the long range game is about and I can work with seating depth/brass prep ect. I was in a hurry, shot 5 rounds first group and then 3 all other groups as it was CHP practice day at the range.

I'm going to test Varget and H4895 head to head before I run out of 95 TMK's. AR Prone Mid Range Match in 2 weeks for the accuracy real testing.

Comment

• Zeus
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2018

One observation that I've made is that the load data on the 6mmAR site seems to be on the hot side. I've not been able to even get close to the max loads listed there before I run into significant pressure signs. I guess my chamber could be slightly different. It's not really a problem though....accuracy trumps speed in my opinion....as long as the velocity isn't unreasonably low.

Comment

• 204 AR
                            Warrior
                            • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Zeus View Post
                            One observation that I've made is that the load data on the 6mmAR site seems to be on the hot side. I've not been able to even get close to the max loads listed there before I run into significant pressure signs. I guess my chamber could be slightly different. It's not really a problem though....accuracy trumps speed in my opinion....as long as the velocity isn't unreasonably low.
                            Me either, I don't know where they come up with those numbers. With that long of a barrel though you should be able to get 3k with 87's and 8208. I get just over 2900 with 28.2 gr in my 22" arp.

Comment

• StoneHendge
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2016

I had been thinking the same thing and looking at 6mm BR data confirmed it. I guess hot loads enable him to sell more replacement uppers
                              Let's go Brandon!

Comment

Working...
                              X