Savage Axis 223 convert to a 6.5 Grendel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdewitt71
    Warrior
    • Dec 2016

Savage Axis 223 convert to a 6.5 Grendel?

So I have a Savage Axis 223 that I bought several years ago and have shot it about half a dozen times.....

It is sitting in my Gun safe and I was thinking, If I can rebarrel it for 6.5G?

Anyone ever done it, What all am I looking at if I was to try to go that route?
    Is it more $$ and time than it is worth?
    ― George Orwell
  • bj139
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2017

A quick search revealed this. I bought a 260 Remington barrel for a Savage but have not installed it yet.
    Hi guys, First post here. I'm looking to build a 6.5 Grendel bolt action, and it looks like the 16 FHSS would be a good stainless steel option. I've pasted my post from the Grendel forum below. Any help would be much appreciated: "Thoughts on starting with a stainless Savage 16 FHSS in .223 here: http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/16FHSS/ and replacing bolt head with a Sharps Shooters Supply part for the PPC, then a Pre Fit Pac-Nor Barrel chambered for "6.5 Grendel Match"? Looks

Comment

• Javman
      Warrior
      • Jan 2016

I was considering doing that myself with my 223 Axis. All it would take is for someone to chamber a barrel for it and swap it out, look for a 6.5 Grendel bolt head and swap those out. Of course check and see if the 6.5 Grendel ammo cycles with the existing clip.

Comment

• bj139
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2017

McGowan has Savage barrels in 6.5 Grendel. I don't know how the magazine will work.
        Did you try the existing one with Grendel rounds?

Comment

• Doon
          Bloodstained
          • Jan 2015

Here is what I did, I think the biggest problem will be with the magazine.
          Either get a Savage 7.62x39 bottom metal to fit the axis or see if an after market bottom metal will fit your AXIS stock.
          You may be able to swap out your mag box for 7.62x39 and get the parts from Savage directly.
          Is it centre feed, Savage Shooters is a great forum for information.
          Changing out the bolt head is easy, you can do it your self as swapping the barrel for a prefit barrel as long as you have a go gauge and nut wrench.
          Plenty of U tube videos on this.
          You will have to probably remove the baffle on the bolt when you install the new bolt head, the baffle short cycles the bolt for the short action for 223 unless the Axis is different.
          Good luck with your build.
          Its been over a year now getting these rifle to the finish line but we have made it. The Zastava was a 6.5 x 39mm which I had re chambered to .264 lbc-ar for my 12 year old son. The Savage was a bit more involved as I am a lefty. The donor rifle was a model 11 GL 308. Purchased PTG bolt head and fitted too work out

Comment

• mdewitt71
            Warrior
            • Dec 2016

The 223 mag in the Axis sucks even with 223 so, I would like a different mad option too.
            I have contacted a local gun Smith but at this point he hasn't responded so I don't think he wants business that badly.
            ― George Orwell

Comment

• grayfox
              Chieftain
              • Jan 2017

I built one on a model 10 action... barrel, bolt head swap with one from PTG... the problem I ran into and couldn't fix was the feed reliability from the mag. All of them 223 or the 243/308 family, are too long and the feed lips don't hold the round flat enough to feed well. Even a 7.62x39 didn't work. Fiddled with them, feed lips, stiffen the mag spring, widen the 223, tweak the feed lip fronts w/ needle nose......... nothing worked, the round always popped up too soon. So I pulled off the new tomato stake I had and went to a 6.5 CM instead. Couldn't be happier with that one by the way.
              Axis mags didn't work for me either, I tried a couple I had before tearing everything back down.
              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
                Chieftain
                • Jan 2017

You're much better off doing a Howa, CZ or Ruger.
                When I found the Howa, esp with a better stock and the DIP bottom metal, I was happy. A doable project.
                "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• mdewitt71
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
                  You're much better off doing a Howa, CZ or Ruger.
                  When I found the Howa, esp with a better stock and the DIP bottom metal, I was happy. A doable project.
                  Yea, I would not doubt it.....
                  I think the Howa mini action might be a better option since I am a Lefty too.
                  ― George Orwell

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

Greyfox is correct. Building a 6.5 creedmoor Savage would be easy. Building a Grendel Savage, not so much. I had the same debate and went this route.
                    New Howa build has begun. For the past year, I have been looking at making/buying a nice bolt gun. Something that actually gets placed in a gun case before going in my Jeep and doesn't just bounce around in the back. I wanted a nice finish on the metal and a non-synthetic stock as well as a flush fit mag. Tikka, Remington,
                    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• bj139
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2017

I read where a 308 magazine for the savage will feed Grendel rounds.
                      I just checked my 22-250 magazine and the Grendel rounds popped out right into the chamber.
                      The 22-250 case size is nearly the same as a 308. I have used 22-250 Savage mags for 308 and have had no problem.

Here is a barrel I found chambered in 6.5 Grendel. I am not sure if the reamer rental charge is added to the $250 or not.

A custom 6.5 Grendel barrel for the Savage bolt action for $265 shipped seems mighty tempting.

A 27" threaded muzzle, heavy barrel should be a real tack driver and will build some bicep muscles as well.

Edit: Now I am thinking about this. This is going to cost me.

I just received a reply from apache gun works and the Grendel barrel is $265 shipped. No additional reamer charge.
                      Last edited by bj139; 08-30-2018, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X