• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R2BRO
    Warrior
    • Dec 2017

About Wolf 100gr performance and its practical use

So i got an app which can do bullet performance comparison, and here what it shows:

I got few questions:

1) first of all, does it look right? Do i really get over 700 ft-lbs energy at 500 yards? So, even Wolf 100gr which costs 25 cents outperforms 556 M855/XM193 so much? Looks legit?

2) What about the capability of such bullet retaining the energy after penetrating some barriers (windshield or car door?); for example, i did watch some impressive videos on youtube like this:

But how would Wolf 100gr steel case perform in this test? Similar? Better maybe? (cuz its lighter?) Your comments?

3) How does it sound as stacking (making standard) the Wolf 100gr steel ammo then for 6.5G? I mean if it outperforms so much XM193 for same price of 25 cents then it is no brainer... Only thing is mags will hold a lil less. but other than that, it seems like perfect round for real combat and training. Is it? If that is the case im now considering making another build just for steel case shooting.
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

The chart looks legit, but there is one thing that they do not show - accuracy of Wolf ammo, which out of a top end barrel is 1.5 MOA at best (at least that is the best that I managed to get with a 5 shot group out of a 24" Lilja, 18"Barlien, and 20" Howa), and other reports are on par with that. Whereas the Hornady Black and my handloads are .4 pretty consistently. And this is shooting prone with a 24x optic, not a RDS. As always shot placement is the key.

The problem is that Wolf uses an undersized bullet at .262 nominal, being shoved down a .264 bore.

Another thread here did a comparison of a 12.5" grendel against a 16" AK47. Aside from muzzle energy & velocity, the SB Grendel cleaned it's clock across the board and was still supersonic and holding MOA at 800 yards. Nothing compared to a 5.56 yet but I suspect that the results will be the same.

You can't go wrong with the caliber, but you can certainly go wrong with the ammo. If Minute of Man is all you care about, then go with it. Just don't gamble on a BCA as your firing platform.
    Last edited by Sticks; 12-12-2018, 06:04 PM.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• Keef
      Warrior
      • Jun 2017

Poa, poi with wolf and eld-m is very close for me. It is a great practice round and I'd wouldnt want to get shot with it, even if it is only .262.....

Comment

• depletedyourcranium
        Warrior
        • Nov 2017

Mild steel core ammo isnt any harder on steel targets than copper and lead.

Also I've heard this undersized bullet refrain, but I've never seen the original source. Has anyone actually pulled a 6.5 Grendel Wolf bullet and measured the diameter?

Comment

• RMiller
          Warrior
          • Mar 2018

The ones I have measured are .262.

Comment

• RobUrban
            Bloodstained
            • Jul 2018

I have shot wolf at steel at 100yds many times and didn't seem to bother the ar500 at all. The accuracy however for me is not good at all. I am getting groups with ELD m just over 1 inch at 100 and with wolf I am seeing groups all the way up to 6 or 7 inches. IMO the ammo is worthless past 100yds.

Comment

• VASCAR2
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Numerous forum members have pulled and measured the bullets used in Branual manufactured Wolf Miltary Classic 100 grain steel cased ammo which uses copper clad FMJ bullet. Wolf 100 grain FMJ steel cased ammo has very inconsistent accuracy in my rifles, best groups around 2-2.5 MOA but many times accuracy will be 3 MOA or greater.

There was a post yesterday where Branual Branded ammunition is being imported into the US and the 6.5 Grendel ammo was listed as a product. If Branual substituted a quality bullet for the 100 grain FMJ it would be worth stacking deep. The current steel cased ammo is adequate for shooting steel out to 300+ yards depending on the size of the target. Probably comparable accuracy to Wolf 7.62x39 steel cased 123 grain FMJ out of an AR/AK. The steel cased 6.5 Grendel will still have better ballistics but maybe not much better accuracy/groups than the 7.62x39.

Forum members have pulled the 100 grain FMJ and replaced the bullet with a quality .264 bullet and acheived accuracy more typical of what we see for the 6.5 Grendel. After doing my water testing and watching gel test of FMJ bullets from 5.56/223, 7.62x39 and 6.5 Grendel the performance are all similar especially at lower velocity. At lower velocity the bullets yaw after a few inches of penetration, stay intact, flatten a little and penetrate 24”+ of gel. Many times the bullets veer off and exit the gel block reducing penetration.

At close range with higher velocity the 5.56/223 FMJ fragment which enhances terminal performance. I have yet to document a fragmented Wolf 100 grain FMJ bullet. The Wolf bullet flattens and the hollow nose collapses to one side. More typical performance to 123 grain 7.62x39 FMJ bullet performance. Basically boils down to what is important to the user.

Comment

• hill37
                Warrior
                • Apr 2017

I don't think the Wolf bullet is steel cord. I have heard, it is more like the 5.45x39 7n bullet.

Comment

• Sixoeight
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

I bought some but haven't shot it yet... consensus seems to be that it's good for screwing around but pointless for anything long range, hunting, etc. I won't be buying much of it that's for sure.

Comment

• Frontier Gear
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2017

I find it to be "minute of deer" at 100 yards. I get about 4 or 5 flyers per box. To me it's decent for shooting milk jugs, skunks, pack rats and whatnot. Good for practicing your shooting techniques. It does way better in my Howa than my AR.
                    Engineer, FFL and Pastor

Comment

• RMiller
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2018

These are first shot on the orange diamond and 7 more above it. 100 grain wolf at 100 yards.

Comment

• Sticks
                        Chieftain
                        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by hill37 View Post
                        I don't think the Wolf bullet is steel cord. I have heard, it is more like the 5.45x39 7n bullet.
                        Originally posted by Sixoeight View Post
                        I bought some but haven't shot it yet... consensus seems to be that it's good for screwing around but pointless for anything long range, hunting, etc. I won't be buying much of it that's for sure.
                        Go stick a magnet on the tips and let us know if they stick. I sold off the 700+ pulls that I had.
                        Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• bj139
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Sticks View Post
                          Go stick a magnet on the tips and let us know if they stick. I sold off the 700+ pulls that I had.
                          I went and stuck a magnet to one and then realized, Duh... the bullet has a steel jacket so of course it will stick.
                          I think it has a lead core with a steel jacket not a steel core.

Comment

• bj139
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by RMiller View Post
                            These are first shot on the orange diamond and 7 more above it. 100 grain wolf at 100 yards.

That is really good performance with the Wolf steel jacket Grendel rounds.
                            I got about a 1 MOA five shot group from a BCA 7.62x39 with Tula steel jacket ammo. The worst of all factors and still good performance.
                            I don't know what the ID of that barrel is but the ammo should be standard .312" not .308".

Edit: I just measured one without pulling and measured .311" so it may be .312" inside the neck.
                            Last edited by bj139; 12-12-2018, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• jonny rotton
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2015

i have shot a lot of wolf steel case. i did cut a bullet up to see what was in it. the jacket is steel and the core is lead. i shot a ar550 plate the other day at 50 yards. no dent no mark. nothing. accuracy of wolf?? i had a 1" group at 100. just 3 shot groups and i measure every shot. at 200 it was 4". at 300 it was 6".
                              ive shot some sub minute groups but mainly it 2 moa. and there are fliers every now and then. other all i am pleased with it. and it shoots to the same point of aim as my black box eld's. whats not to like?? all this was with a 12" barrel

Comment

Working...
                              X