• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • idflyit
    Unwashed
    • Oct 2019

Experience with Satern Barrels?

does any of you have 1st hand info on SATERN barrels...thx to all in advance
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by idflyit View Post
    Run a search and you will see many comments about Satern barrels.

LR55

Comment

• outbreaker
      Warrior
      • Feb 2018

Originally posted by idflyit View Post
      I have built 2 different Grendel with their cut rifling barrel. One was early on when they first started to make them, and the other last year.

I would not hesitate to use them again.

Both have excellent accuracy and are resistant to copper build up (100+ rounds and I cant see any with a bore scope.).

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Saturn has has a button rifled barrel sold under the Liberty name with a Grendel II chamber. The Liberty barrel was the barrel sold by Brownell’s, Grendel Hunter and other vendors. The first batches of Liberty 6.5 Grendel barrels had short chambers and Saturn/Liberty response to the problem has lead to a loss of respect by numerous people. This fiasco lead to the creation of the Grendel II chamber. The Saturn cut rifled barrels get very good reviews for accuracy but there have been delayed deliveries when forum members have ordered barrels from Saturn.

Comment

• Tipsymutt
          Bloodstained
          • Apr 2016

Late to the party here, but my 18" Satern barrel shoots great. Cannot comment on current production, as mine was made in 2014 if I recall, but on mine the machining is flawless and the company was a pleasure to deal with.

Comment

• monkeybutler
            Unwashed
            • Feb 2016

I am very happy with my older cut rifled Satern (bought from AA years ago), but after the way they handled the Liberty short chamber thing I am not in a hurry to order another, especially with all the other nice offerings out there now.

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

The AA Satern barrels are one of the most accurate AR15 barrels I've ever seen, right there with Bartleins and Kriegers.

I don't have any experience with any Satern barrels outside of those that I can reference.
              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• excatm76
                Unwashed
                • Apr 2020

Comment

• Rugerfan.64
                  Warrior
                  • May 2014

I bought one of the button rifled Saterns from Brownells several years back. I have no complaints. Its a 24" that came with the matching bolt. It is consistent , as long as I do my part it does its. The smallest 3 shot group I ever fired from it was .268" , with Sierra 120 Prohunters, I worked up a load with 120 Matchkings fired 50 rounds working it up and only had one group go over an inch by maybe .010" . Sunday while swapping the zero from deer load to summer load , I fired 5 at 100 yds that are just shy of 1/2" and I pulled the 5th shot. 6.5 120 Matchking 4-11-20.JPG

Comment

• A.D.D. AR
                    Warrior
                    • Oct 2014

If you look on their site, the cut rifled barrels (satern) for the chambers, it says Grendel SAAMI. If you look at their button rifled budget barrels (Liberty) it says "Grendel 2" chamber, which is straight throat , no compound leade like SAAMI.
                    I have one of the "budget" 223 wylde barrels I got on sale, wasn't expecting much, but it is a shooter! 20'' 1:8 twist and it shoots, 53gr, 55gr, 68gr, 75gr all sub MOA once I figured out loads. this pic is a 10 shot group at 106 yards Hornady 75hpbt with varget
                    about the size of a dime, of course I had to pull one! Had to crop the pic to post here.

IMG_2469 (4).JPG

Comment

Working...
                    X