• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 65GbySeven
    Warrior
    • Dec 2018

My Version of the Ultimate AR

Well after 10 builds in three different calibers, lessons learned, and advice garnered from the Horde, I present my version of the ultimate AR. I was shooting for 6LBS before optics and ended up at 6LBS 4OZ and weighs in at 8LBS 7OZ with optics and bipod. Very balanced to carry and fire freehand. Only foreseeable change would be changing the optics to the Leupold Mark MOD 1 3-9x40mm FireDot-G TMR Reticle which would get me to under 8LBS, but limit my effectiveness at long range (400 YDS).

She cycles beautifully and has shown good groupings with factory ammo already. Federal Fusion 120GR produced .6 MOA first 3 shot group...we'll see if we can do it again. Will be developing a load with Maker 95GR TREX and H322. Hoping to safely get 2800+ FPS on the 95GR with 1 MOA. Theoretically, this 16" 3R barrel will give velocities of an 18" with copper projectiles...to be tested and proven or debunked.

Build List:
    16 inch Grendel with ARP 3R barrel and bolt
    Aero Precision M4 upper and lower receiver
    Aero Precision 12 inch Atlas S-One handguard
    CMC 2.5LB Single Stage Flat Trigger
    Toolcraft BCG
    Geissele Super 42 Spring and H1 Buffer
    Magpul CTR Buttstock
    Magpul MOE Pistol Grip
    Vortex Diamondback HP 3-12x42 BDC Reticle with Side Focus Parallax
    Aero Precision Scope Mount
    Vortex Viper Reflex
    UTG 45 Reflex Mount
    CVLife Carbon Fiber Bipod with M-LOK Swivel Stud
    Attached Files
  • A5BLASTER
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2015

Looks good.

Comment

• biodsl
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2011

Congratulations. Looks like a solid, handy build.
      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• therealtrikky
        Bloodstained
        • Jun 2019

How ya liking the S-one handguard? I debated but ended up going with an R-one instead on mine. Nice looking rig for sure!

Comment

• 65GbySeven
          Warrior
          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by therealtrikky View Post
          How ya liking the S-one handguard? I debated but ended up going with an R-one instead on mine. Nice looking rig for sure!
          Thanks! I really like the S-One. Very lightweight and stable. Don't like mounting anything to the top rail of the handguard so I did think I needed to carry it if I wasn't going to use.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
            Administrator
            • Feb 2011

Very handsome build. I'm a sucker for that cool FDE + Black style!
            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Rangerofthenorth
              Warrior
              • Dec 2018

Very nice! Got the Leupold mark ar 3-9x40 tmr firedot I just won on Ebay coming in the mail as we speak. I was just today thinking about using it with an offset red dot. Guess great minds think alike.

Comment

• FLshooter
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2019

.6 moa in first group is impressive.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Rangerofthenorth View Post
                  Very nice! Got the Leupold mark ar 3-9x40 tmr firedot I just won on Ebay coming in the mail as we speak. I was just today thinking about using it with an offset red dot. Guess great minds think alike.
                  Probably got the one I stopped bidding on...Glad it went to a member of the Horde.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2018

Originally posted by FLshooter View Post
                    .6 moa in first group is impressive.
                    To clarify it wasn't the first group after building, maybe 30 rounds into the barrel before trying the 120 Fusion which surprised me.

If it happens again and again I will be impressed and happy as a pig in $&*@. I've gotten to .5 MOA with handloads in other builds, but never .6 with factory...

Comment

• Wandering Kermode
                      Unwashed
                      • Sep 2019

How do you like the UTG 45* offset mount? I was just looking at getting a couple for my 16" Grendel and an 18" 5.56 and the price and the shape/height looks awesome. T-Rex Arms is the only other group doing them in that style and they're not in production yet or out of stock (and more spendy). I have UTG Pro Rings on my "recon" AK build and they're light and solid. Hoping that the mounts are GTG as well and pull the trigger on a couple.

Cheers

Blue

Comment

• montana
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2011

That looks like Cerakote tiger eye brown in the first picture or is it FDE?

Comment

• 65GbySeven
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Wandering Kermode View Post
                          How do you like the UTG 45* offset mount? I was just looking at getting a couple for my 16" Grendel and an 18" 5.56 and the price and the shape/height looks awesome. T-Rex Arms is the only other group doing them in that style and they're not in production yet or out of stock (and more spendy). I have UTG Pro Rings on my "recon" AK build and they're light and solid. Hoping that the mounts are GTG as well and pull the trigger on a couple.

Cheers

Blue
                          Very well made and extremely light weight with plenty of clearance for a full size scope. It takes up 3 positions on the rail. I have found the all UTG Pro P.O.I. and Accu-Sync mounts and rings to be very well made, light and secure.

Comment

• 65GbySeven
                            Warrior
                            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by montana View Post
                            That looks like Cerakote tiger eye brown in the first picture or is it FDE?
                            FDE from the factory at Aero.

Comment

• Chance-dg
                              Warrior
                              • Apr 2019

Very nice build and a shooter for you I just posted 3 of my Grendel builds on the SIXFIVE forum under Home Defense thread my 18" Wilson barrel started sub 1/2 groups immediately I just spent the afternoon loading 2 series of ladders with 123g ELD M bullets using CFE 223 and TAC for 3 different Grendels

Comment

Working...
                              X