Clear All
  • Gaz592
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2020

Grendel hunter vs sanders armory

• Arce
    Unwashed
    • May 2020

How about a little background. What's you're intended use? Hunting? Paper punching? Long range shooting? Do you reload or just use factory ammo? The more info you give, the better answers you'll get.

Comment

• Gaz592
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2020

Primary use will be hunting mostly coyotes and prairie dogs. Plan on reloading for it as well

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Couldn't agree more.

I can't count how many times this sort of topic has come up. One of the hardest things one can do is to try coaxing a stubbornly mediocre barrel into consistently shooting "sub-moa". Inexpensive barrels more often than not come with hidden expense. As GF mentioned, working up a load (translate $$$) chasing group sizes isn't likely going to make you glad you bought "Brand-X". Better odds at the roulette table than with some of the bargain barrels.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• KABOH1100
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2020

I am also looking at the Sanders Armory 20" Complete upper. Yes I know, you get what you pay for... but after reading this article from Pew Pew Tactical https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-6-5-grendel-uppers/, I am kind of leaning that way.

Comment

• Wafavre2
                Warrior
                • Feb 2017

+1

Comment

• Wafavre2
                  Warrior
                  • Feb 2017

+1

Comment

• tdbru
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2019

KABOH1100
                    i perused the article very quickly but this caught my eye: "All 5 Grendel Uppers Sent to the Author" how many different manufacturers of uppers are there??? way more than 5. so the SA may be one of the better ones that PPT reviewed in this article, but as guys with a lot more experience have just said, 1. get as good a barrel, trigger, and optics as you can. 2. putting one together isn't hard to do. consider doing it yourself so you can have more $ for 1.

as a kid growing up i was blessed to be able to shoot prairie dogs. if you intend to shoot them at distance, a benchrest rifle isn't going overboard. the little buggers were about 2.5 to 3" wide when standing up on their haunches. a 1.5 MOA rack grade barrel will leave you with misses past 200 yards, even if you can dope the wind perfectly and hold and trigger squeeze and follow through well.

we started with 22LRs and tried to get the closer ones first, because once the CFs came out to play, everything within 200 yards ran down the holes due to the noise. this left us with shots from 200 to 400+ yards.

so a 1/2 or 1/4 moa barrel/ammo/optic/trigger setup will be quite helpful on pounding sod poodles past 200 yards. gives you some leeway in misjudging wind. it's quite a gamble to end up with a rack grade upper that will print that well. statistically not impossible but the probability is low. start with a much better barrel if you really want to shoot prairie dogs at distance.

for coyotes, that rack grade may be entirely adequate. they're a LOT bigger than a sod poodle.

of course some of us may tend to go overboard on Col. Townsend Whelen's mantra "only accurate rifles are interesting" but as other we'll experienced AR builders have stated, a sub moa AR starts with the best barrels, tiggers, and optics.

whichever way you decide to go with the build, however, have fun with it!!
                    -tdbru

Comment

• grayfox
                      Chieftain
                      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by KABOH1100 View Post
                      I am also looking at the Sanders Armory 20" Complete upper. Yes I know, you get what you pay for... but after reading this article from Pew Pew Tactical https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-6-5-grendel-uppers/, I am kind of leaning that way.
                      Pretty sure they were paid for the review. Even if not, that being said, you know your options now, and the plusses and minuses...
                      The best ones start with the best barrels. But hope you're happy with whatever choice you make.
                      Welcome to the horde!

Comment

• VASCAR2
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

REXUS brand AR15 barrels and bolts, and more, for 6.5 Grendel, 6mmARC, 22 ARC, and 5.56 NATO. Check out RexusOutfitters.com.
                        Last edited by VASCAR2; 12-04-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Newguy
                          Bloodstained
                          • Dec 2019

Comment

• StickTownsend
                            Unwashed
                            • Oct 2020

I have a Sanders 20" upper and have been very happy with it. Using Hornady Black ammo it will shoot sub-MOA all day. My son just used it last month to take his first deer and it performed flawlessly. I am sure you could build an upper yourself for cheaper, but if you just want to buy one I would recommend them.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2015

They both use the liberty site brand of barrels.

Comment

Working...
                              X