Any experiences with Tactical Kinetics barrels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ofhs93
    Unwashed
    • Dec 2020

Any experiences with Tactical Kinetics barrels?

Looking to see if anyone here has had any experience using Tactical Kinetics 6.5G barrels?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I used the custom search and found no threads discussing Tactical Kinetics here on this forum. Seems like I read where some people were using their parts in building Glock pattern pistols.

Comment

• Old Bob
      Warrior
      • Oct 2019

They have a website but no reviews on their barrels: https://tacticalkinetics.com/rifle-b...eatured&page=1

They only show two 6.5 Grendel barrels -- 12.5" & 16.25" barrels ($139 & $150 respectively). Those are pretty low prices for Grendel barrels. Reviews are scarce on them but from what little I've been able to find, they could be hidden gems. There's one online retailer that shows 18" & 22" Tactical Kinetics 6.5 Grendel barrels in stock. They have one 5 star review (22" barrel) & one 4.5 star review (18" barrel). The reviews are good but really short without any elaboration -- nearly useless. Read the barrel details & then make up your mind. I'm not interested in another Grendel barrel, but if I were, I might consider giving them a shot.

Tactical Kinetics 18 inch AR-15 6.5 Grendel Melonite Barrel, made from 4150 CMV, Nitride Finish, 1:8 Twist, M4 Feed ramps, Mid Length Gas System - Made in the USA

Tactical Kinetics 22 inch AR-15 6.5 Grendel Melonite Barrel, made from 4150 CMV, Nitride Finish, 1:8 Twist, M4 Feed ramps, Rifle Length Gas System - Made in the USA
      Last edited by Old Bob; 12-21-2020, 06:46 AM.
      I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• ofhs93
        Unwashed
        • Dec 2020

Comment

• CS Vrdad
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2019

I saw the same barrels and complete uppers on the same webpage recently but had not heard of them. Hopefully, someone with some experience with them can give us some details on quality and accuracy.

Comment

• Papa marty
            Unwashed
            • Dec 2020

Just had an 18" upper delivered. Hopefully can get out this weekend and see how she shoots.

Comment

• Papa marty
              Unwashed
              • Dec 2020

Well a little shooting time today so here the results with mine and factory 123 grain sst loads. First 5 shot group was at 25 yards just to make sure it was on paper. It wasn't pretty,2" pattern. Second and third five shot groups were at 50 yards and looks much better but still not great. Moved out 150 yards for the remainder of the session which is the distance from deer stand to creek bottom where the deer travel. There were a couple groups right at MOA , most were 1.5 MOA and the last opened up to 2 MOA. Guessing the copper fouling was getting a little thick at that point. The gun ran flawlessly and the fit and finish is fine. Good enough for deer or coyote hunting as is but I'll see if she likes some 120 grain eldm handloads better at a later date.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

Comment

• Papa marty
                  Unwashed
                  • Dec 2020

That's what I thought too. This one is for my daughter to deer hunt with,200 yard maximum distance. Even if it stays 1.5-2 MOA after break in and different ammo it's perfectly acceptable accuracy for a deer at that range.
                  To be fair half that grouping is the old guy with old eyes squeezing the trigger. A target in 3x9 scope just doesn't look as big and sharp as it did 50 years ago. I prefer higher magnification these days but the daughter doesn't.

Comment

• Papa marty
                    Unwashed
                    • Dec 2020

Used several loads of Benchmark and 120 grain ELDM bullets today. All groups were consistently 1.125-1.250" at 100 yards. It should get sub moa with the right load.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Sounds good, thanks for the range report.

Comment

• Smash75
                        Unwashed
                        • Mar 2021

I just built an upper with a 20" tactical kinetics barrel. I'll review it when I finally get time to go to the range. It's been a rough first couple of months to 2021 (landlord sold my house, changing jobs, moving) so range time will definitely be welcome!

Comment

• Kross887
                          Unwashed
                          • Jul 2021

Originally posted by ofhs93 View Post
                          Looking to see if anyone here has had any experience using Tactical Kinetics 6.5G barrels?
                          I have the 18" pro2a tactical 6.5 Grendel upper, and it's been a pretty good performer accuracy wise. I can reliably send 3-round groups through the same hole at 100yds, a 5-round opens up to about 1 moa, my upper really likes Hornady black with the 123gr eld

Comment

• hddcrash
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2022

hddcrash

Originally posted by ofhs93 View Post
                            YA. I bought an 18 inch Tactical Kinetics barrel in 6mm arc. It uses the 6.5 Grendel BCG. Bought it during the winter and just finished the rifle back in the Middle of March. Its difficult to critique except to say I have put close to 200 rounds through it and all is well. One thing I did notice was the barrel fit very snug in the upper barrel port. I had to take a rubber hammer and tap the upper while holding the barrel. The upper was a Matrix Aerospace so maybe that offered some resistance vs another upper. The barrel itself is comparatively light. I did put a stainless steel gas block on the barrel just in case but it was a set it and forget it setup. So far so good. I got the barrel off Gunbroker for about $180 on sale. They have some 6.5's right now that run from $170 to $200 depending on length. I will say the barrel is very easy to clean. Its new so I would expect that but I am ACD when it comes to keeping my shooting equipment clean.

Comment

Working...
                            X