• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Brass Goat Brass Catcher

Brass Goat

I was reading a thread on a gun forum about brass catchers. A couple members said they used a Brass Goat. I had never heard of it so I located the Brass Goat website. I thought it looked like a good product so I ordered one. The price was $39.99 plus $4.75 shipping. I ordered it last Sunday and USPS delivered it today.

Here is a picture of the box, the mag well adapter and a box for collecting the spent brass.

The mag well adapter does not obstruct the lower receiver magazine release button.

• VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I found the easiest way to attach the brass goat was to align the bottom arm and rotate the body into position. Trying to slide the brass goat straight to the rear binds with the optic or optic mount. From this picture you can see there is clearance for the Warne 1 piece mount locking nuts.

This picture is of a Midway 20 MOA mount and shows there is still clearance for the mount.

Here is a picture with a 17 round E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mag in the well.

Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-05-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Here is a picture with the AR-15 sitting on a table with the grip resting on the table and the spent mag box still has clearance and is not touching the table. Notice there is a rib to depress to release the spent brass box.

The Brass Goat by Magwell Mounts is an innovative AR15 brass catcher designed to easily snap on and off the magwell of your milspec lower receiver. With a streamlined design, the Brass Goat is engineered to collect brass without jamming, and isn't a bulky accessory. The two-piece design can be used as just a deflector, or a deflector and hopper combination. MADE IN THE USA *US PATENT PENDING*
      Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-06-2021, 12:16 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Just a couple more pictures. I wanted to show how the Brass Goat fit on an AR-15 with an E O Tech 512. Here is a picture below.

I also wanted to show a 30 round 5.56/223 mag in the well with the Brass Goat attached.

The Brass Goat spent brass box is molded to where the retaining rib is a part of the box. Depressing the rib flange permits withdrawing the spent brass box from the mag well adapter. The Brass Goat design seems pretty simple and well made.
        Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-05-2021, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• tdbru
          Warrior
          • Dec 2019

thanks vascar2 for that product evaluation. you tested it with 223. have you tested it yet with 6.5 Grendel? looks to be another option. i might have to look into this.
          thanks,
          -tdbru

Comment

• VASCAR2
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 06-06-2021, 12:29 AM.

Comment

• 204 AR
              Warrior
              • Sep 2015

Good review, and that is an interesting design. Way back 13 or 14 years ago when very few were commercially available I designed a built quite a few made from vinyl fence rail material and they worked well. Then the Caldwell design came out and I've been using it ever since but it does have the flaw that hot brass will eventually burn a hole through the net. Now for hunting I use a simple home made denim pouch that works well for 3 or 4 rounds and is totally un-obstructive and quiet. But this design would be great in a pdog town or at the range. You could always line the inside with some cloth if noise is an issue.

Comment

• mv1arms
                Bloodstained
                • May 2019

I have one of these that's I have ran with 300 blk, 556, and 6.5 grendel. Couple of observations:
                - It's pretty loud with clanging brass when shooting with a can.
                - somewhat more noticeable gas to the face when the catcher fills up.
                - it works great with zero malfunctions.

Comment

• Tex1911
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2021

Nice write up. Just wanted to confirm what was already said. I have tried mine on the 5.56 and 6.5 and it worked great. I agree with the noise. I tried shoving some foam in the bottom but didn't quiet it down much since the cases still rattled on the side walls. I do like the suggestion of taking the "mag" out and have them drop straight down, depending on terrain. (Mud, hills etc.)

Now it has me thinking about maybe taking some old jeans and making a catch basin out of the jeans. But honestly, the noise just was not a problem at all.

Again, nice write up.

Comment

• Lastrites
                    Warrior
                    • Apr 2017

Noise, I would suggest trying to add a layer of Moleskin to the inside. Clean it well with alcohol and the Moleskin should stick well I would think, it's pretty thin material but should deaden the sound.

Comment

• Tex1911
                      Unwashed
                      • Jan 2021

That's a good idea. I think I will try this and see how it does. But I also want to restate it really isn't an issue unless silence is an absolute must. In most situations, I think one could easily remove the empty cases. I'm sure there may be a situation where time wouldn't allow it but I've never ran into that. But then again I don't track anymore. If supper doesn't come to me easily while I'm sitting still in the woods/blind, I just don't have the desire to chase em anymore. And of course at the range, it just doesn't matter.

Comment

• wheelguner
                        Warrior
                        • Oct 2011

Outstanding review and description. You went above and beyond with excellent & numerous pics.

Comment

Working...
                        X