• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Ninny,

Not arguing that we shouldn't load within safe limits, but there's a bigger risk with an OOB at any pressure, than a hot load in battery.

Lazy,

You cannot generalize to a population with a limiting exception of one.

Comment

• DeNinny
      Warrior
      • Sep 2022

Originally posted by Klem View Post
      Ninny,

Not arguing that we shouldn't load within safe limits, but there's a bigger risk with an OOB at any pressure, than a hot load in battery.
      I agree but there is always going to be higher risk at a higher pressure, all other things equal.

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Ninny,

Lazy,

You cannot generalize to a population with a limiting exception of one.
        How are intellegent experts missing this? Go look at the Lapua casing and go look at the Hornady casing - and go look at the what 4? postings now of Kabooms, that keep involving Lapua brass. Just because yours isn't kabooming in your premium barrels with your expert practices, doesn't mean this isn't as obvious as the sun on one's face; that the Lapua and the Kabooms that go to Lapua, isn't relatied to the obvious Lapua decision to run a thin web down the explody-part of the brass at the case head, and so - Kaboom. OP's Kaboom, would not have happened if he was running Hornady brass - the picture makes that strikingly obvious. Why is this so hard?
        4x P100

Comment

• Klem
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

An alternate hypothesis is the Hornady went off in battery and the Lapua did not - and it has nothing to do with brass manufacturer - just saying.

Comment

• DeNinny
            Warrior
            • Sep 2022

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
            How are intellegent experts missing this? Go look at the Lapua casing and go look at the Hornady casing - and go look at the what 4? postings now of Kabooms, that keep involving Lapua brass. Just because yours isn't kabooming in your premium barrels with your expert practices, doesn't mean this isn't as obvious as the sun on one's face; that the Lapua and the Kabooms that go to Lapua, isn't relatied to the obvious Lapua decision to run a thin web down the explody-part of the brass at the case head, and so - Kaboom. OP's Kaboom, would not have happened if he was running Hornady brass - the picture makes that strikingly obvious. Why is this so hard?
            All other things equal, the strength of a metal is directly proportional to its overall weight or size. This is fundamental to all metal deformation, temporary or permanent. The more metal there is, the more force required to deform it. Again all other things equal.

So unequivocally the thicker Hornady base is going to be harder to deform than the thinner walled Lapua. Also the more curved transition from base to sidewall makes it stronger.

Comment

• lazyengineer
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2019

here it is in four easy images

Lapua Kabooms. I won't run that. As to it being super supreme for precision shooting - eh, not really. I know plenty of trophy winning high-power shooters who consider it vastly overrated. Some who outright hate it. I don't run it - I run Norma for distance shooting in 5.56 personally.
              4x P100

Comment

• DeNinny
                Warrior
                • Sep 2022

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
                here it is in four easy images

It's clear in this image that the head is not supported by chamber wall at the failure point. There is a gap under the bevel between the end of the lugs and the rear of the chamber. Even if this pic is not to scale, there's going to be a gap with a small amount of unsupported wall. And it will vary between barrels.

Based on this, there doesn't even need to be an out of battery scenario. The case could have failed in battery. And again, the case that will more likely fail will be the one with thinner walls or base (all other things equal).

Comment

• lazyengineer
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2019

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
                  barrels, for example, are correctly dimensioned for this.
                  This is probably true, though I can't say first hand for sure - I can say buying Grendel stuff from guys who really know Grendel (such as BFT), is probably a good start. That said, I'm an engineer and I take safety seriously. One degree of safety is a discomfort - I want two degrees. More inherently safer brass AND a more inherently safer barrel, is what I want. Lapua Brass - is not sufficiently safe for my standards. Those above 4 photos should make it very obvious why. Lapua Grendel brass is scrap.
                  4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2013

Both of you are making assumptions.

Ninny,

You are assuming the quality and percentage of brass alloy is the same across manufacturers. Cartridge brass varies in quality and mix (Copper/Zinc). Here's an article from Accurateshooter.com that includes spectroscopy findings. Bottom line, thinner brass can be stronger.

Lazy,

Now, you are assuming both manufacturers cartridges went off in battery, and Lapua failed because it is inherently weaker. None of us know it was in or out of battery. Lapua's weakness, if any, is not common knowledge in the shooting community - quite the opposite. Shooters would quickly figure it out if there were more catastrophic Lapua failures such as this.

Comment

• DeNinny
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2022

Ninny,

You are assuming the quality and percentage of brass alloy is the same across manufacturers. Cartridge brass varies in quality and mix (Copper/Zinc). Here's an article from Accurateshooter.com that includes spectroscopy findings. Bottom line, thinner brass can be stronger.
                      Last edited by DeNinny; 09-24-2022, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2019

Ninny,

Lazy,

Now, you are assuming both manufacturers cartridges went off in battery, and Lapua failed because it is inherently weaker. None of us know it was in or out of battery. Lapua's weakness, if any, is not common knowledge in the shooting community - quite the opposite. Shooters would quickly figure it out if there were more catastrophic Lapua failures such as this.
                        AR15s dont OOB, as the pin cannot contact the primer until the bolt is rotated into battery. In the 80,000 rounds i have fired in AR's, I have literally tested this hundreds of times in both grendel and 5.56, I'm not proud to say. Its not OOB, and fixating on that is denial of the obvious images in front of us.

There is a flat refusal to accept the obvious here - and it's not healthy. Eventually somebody is going to get hurt.
                        Last edited by lazyengineer; 09-24-2022, 08:42 AM.
                        4x P100

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

For goodness sake, let's all agree we just don't know enough about anything to generalize to Lapua.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2019

For goodness sake, let's all agree we just don't know enough about anything to generalize to Lapua.
                            I straight up don't agree. This is a recurring kaboom post - my "annnd another Lapua kaboom", didnt come out of nowhere.

Yours does not in your barrels - that part I agree with.
                            4x P100

Comment

• grayfox
                              Chieftain
                              • Jan 2017

Guys,
                              I've been reading this thread, and, while neither lover nor hater of Lapua, do not see this as some kind of endemic example of that brass' behavior. Matter of fact, 1 failure in this guy's rifle would not point, IMO, to the rifle itself either. If either the rifle or the brass were some kind of cause, I would expect more than just one failure. And from what I can tell, any faint lines talked about in other cases would not be indicative either unless those lines are appearing in the same spot and orientation as the failed case. Is that the case?

From shooting safety's perspective, a so-called "proven load" is only "proven" insofar as it is one combination of several parts and variables. ANY time you change one of the components, you should back your charge down -- some kind of meaningful amount, and build back up.

Without more instances/evidence of case damage and case failures, I would class this as a single occurrence, and put most of the weight/cause on the individual case itself. Even in a quality mfr (and Lapua is at least, a quality mfr) can have single incidents of failures. Lze, if Lapua were a "bad" mfr or one that everyone should avoid, again I think in the world of competitive and recreational shooters, I would expect there to be a much higher percentage of problems reported... with the millions of grendel loads being shot, even a 1% -- or a 0.1% -- rate would provide literally hundreds of fails. And doubtless some industry and mfr attention.

In my industry there are a few companies have a full-fledged metallurgy lab (others have access if they want it), and that kind of exam would be needed of this case in order to arrive at defendable conclusions.

You can steer clear of Lapua or any other mfr as you wish and no worries... but nothing on here that I've seen would sway me one way or the other. I don't have any Lapua and don't plan on getting any -- the cost/benefit is something I don't see in that brass for what I'm doing -- but I don't begrudge anyone else who thinks/acts differently on it. Only brass I have a negative view on is Federal in the grendel... and if I have some decent loads with it, I will shoot at unfired or 1x, it but it's too soft to keep in any kind of reloading rotation.

If you pit the flame/temperature/pressure of the powder against any brass, the brass will lose if the time in contact is long enough.

OP my advice to you is (and to any other newbies to this cartridge), like I stated earlier, when you change ANYTHING in your "proven" recipe, back off and build back up. Preferably over a chrono. This was your warning shot across the bow - take heed. The eyes/face/fingers you save will be your own. The rifle, with the new load combo in its chamber, does not care a whit about your opinions of your so-called "proven" load!!!

Never assume anything.
                              "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• lazyengineer
                                Chieftain
                                • Feb 2019

Factory upper came with BCG, 12' grendel, cabine gas. Fairly new upper, about 40 rounds fired through it. Firing Handloads...Once fired Lapua Case, Rem 7 1/2, ARcomp 27.7 gr and Hornady 120gr Amax, COAL 2.247" Fired a few rounds through one of my rifles then picked up the pistol and this is the result of the first

I had an UGLY case separation. The brass had been used 20-25 times, so it is suspect. It was also the 1st round of that load, so that is also suspicious. It is a 6 grendel, and the load data was 6arc. I started .3gr over ARC max thinking I would have plenty of margins. Can someone plug this into their program and see if

Plus this thread for Lapua brass kaboom #3
                                (Not sure if I missed more)

Failures tend to have near miss sign trend before. Note the countless threads about ring formation that seem heavy Lapua representation (almost all of them either Lapua or Starline). Ring formation right there in the kaboom section.
                                4x P100

Comment

Working...
                                X