Looking for a lightweight 18-20" barrel...need advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • san antonio fj
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2015

6.8 on the left, 20" BHW light on the right

just saw OP's last post I guess im a little late lol

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Dentite View Post
      Thanks for the input guys. I settled on a Lilja 318. Lightweight 18.8". I ordered Monday and it'll be here Friday. Can't beat the shipping time. The lightweight factor won out in the long run. I'll sacrifice a 1/2 moa of accuracy if it means it's light enough that actually take it out and use it.
      These lightweight Wasp profile barrels shoot extremely well from Lilja. I was bug-holing with that exact barrel profile and length on Tuesday with 120gr Wolf MPT, and my best 3-shot group so far with my 17.6" is .412".

Combined groups of two different loads and bullet weights at 200yds for me has been just over MOA.

8-10 rounds from 123gr SST and 120gr Scenar-L looks like this, with best 3rd 100yd group bottom right:

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Dentite
        Unwashed
        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by san antonio fj View Post
        6.8 on the left, 20" BHW light on the right

just saw OP's last post I guess im a little late lol

I still enjoyed seeing your rifles and read about them. Very nice rifles, thanks for the info.

Comment

• Dentite
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
          These lightweight Wasp profile barrels shoot extremely well from Lilja. I was bug-holing with that exact barrel profile and length on Tuesday with 120gr Wolf MPT, and my best 3-shot group so far with my 17.6" is .412".

Combined groups of two different loads and bullet weights at 200yds for me has been just over MOA.

8-10 rounds from 123gr SST and 120gr Scenar-L looks like this, with best 3rd 100yd group bottom right:

Thanks for the info. I just got the reloading handbooks referenced in your signature in the mail today. Just starting reading Volume I. Are you one of the authors? I just scanned the first couple pages but I'm going to dive in.

I keep seeing the 123gr SST bullet and referenced here on the forum so I picked up a couple boxes recently. I reload for .223 in two rifles and use H4895. I've seen CFE223 referenced here on the forum quite a bit so I snagged two pounds of it today. I have some new Lapua brass ready to go.

I would be happy with MOA accuracy. I'm intending for this to be my main predator calling rifle.

My parts start coming in tomorrow...getting pumped.

Got a scope today and ordered dies last night.

Now what about magazines? I guess I need to do some research on what mags are recommended.

Thanks.

Comment

• am4966
            Chieftain
            • Jul 2014

That is awesome. I would love for it to be that light. I imagine a 20" barrel with similar profile would add a 3-4 ounces or so? I would be happy with less than 7.5lbs or so with a 20" barrel.

How is the accuracy? Whose bolt are you using?
            They are items you can buy that will help with weight on a AR. Forged upper/lower, Stock get a mission first minimalist stock(5.8oz), titanium gas block, SLR Rifleworks solo Lite rail titanium barrel nut, KMR rail titanium barrel nut, a lot of posts from V7 weapons, just depends on how much you want to spend.
            12.5" SBR Grendel - Need Barrel
            Surge - Rugged Suppressor
            Been a fan of the Grendel from the very beginning and haven't second guessed that choice one time.

Aim small, miss small!

Comment

• 65Whelen
              Warrior
              • Sep 2014

This not an 18" barrel but weight was a high priority when I was putting my fun gun together. Hopefully it'll give you some help on what works for you.
              Just finished this up. Like the title says 7 pounds even with the scope. Now to get it out see how it shoots. Upper: 14.5" Sabre Barrel w/Smith Vortex Flash Hider, 16.25" pinned & welded YHM two piece gas block AA upper AP Custom 12" Carbon Fiber Handguard BCM Bolt Carrier PF Bolt Lower: YHM lower Palmetto
              Last edited by 65Whelen; 07-03-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• CastorTroy
                Warrior
                • Mar 2015

I would be happy with that accuracy. How did you have the barrel profiled? What is the diameter between the receiver and the gas block? The diameter from the gas port to muzzle?

Thanks!
                i dropped it down to .700 on both sides of the gas block.

Comment

• Dentite
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by CastorTroy View Post
                  i dropped it down to .700 on both sides of the gas block.
                  Thanks for the info. Sounds like a swet setup.

Comment

• wfa17332
                    Bloodstained
                    • May 2015

My 18" BHW 264LBC "slim" profile is 2lb 2oz with extension. The complete carbine is 6lb 15oz with Leupold FXII-4.

Comment

Working...
                    X