Milk jug at 1500 yards...with target cam!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PredatorDown
    Warrior
    • Jun 2014

Milk jug at 1500 yards...with target cam!

Well guys, the Grendel continues to impress me and turn heads just about every time it's seen in public!

Over Thanksgiving weekend I went to the North Springs range here in Utah to compete in the Long Range Shooters of Utah's 1500 yard Milk Jug Challenge. Rules state you have 10 minutes to hit a milk jug in 10 shots or less.

It was extremely warm the day of the challenge, around 10 degrees in the morning and getting up to a blistering 21 degrees in the heat of the day. Needless to say, we all pretty much sat around and froze our asses off. I actually had a battery powered hand warmer that I kept in the vest pocket of my coat with the ammo, so it was nice and warm when I went to shoot. I had just worked up a load with AR-Comp the week before because of how temp stable it is, but I had yet to take it past 100 yards. I think I'll keep the load how it is!

Most everyone out there that day was shooting a 7mm or bigger, but there were a few 6.5's like the Swede and 260Rem with a couple oddball .308's (the rangemaster, Scott, drilled it on his coldbore shot with his 308!). Once again, like every other time I've gone to these challenges, I was by far the smallest cartridge there. And, once again, the only gas gun.

I set up to shoot, and after making contact on the plate 3 times, didn't think I was successful. Still, everyone that was watching was impressed with 3/10 hits on steel at 1500 with such a small cartridge. I put the rifle away, the next shooter began, and I got on my spotting scope. He was already about 5 shots in, but when I looked through the spotter I saw air in the top of the jug. He had hit the plate twice, so we were unsure which one of us got the jug. After he completed his 10 shots, we drove out to check and change the jug.

When we got there the jug had not one, not two, but three impacts all high up on the jug. I knew my odds were pretty good that at least one of them was mine, but we had to review the gopro footage to know for sure.

Bryce, the owner and founder of LRSU, let me know about a week later that I had in fact hit the jug. The only problem is that we live on opposite ends of the state, so setting up the interview was a little bit of a challenge. We met back at North Springs over New Years weekend at their PRS match, and conducted the interview then.

Enough with the talk, let's see some action!

Last edited by PredatorDown; 01-14-2016, 11:57 AM.
  • tasty_chicken
    Bloodstained
    • Jul 2015

I just saw the video pop up on my youtube subscription. I love the video's LRSU put out. Awesome shooting on your part and way to represent the Grendel community. My question for you was I saw in the video that you were shooting 123 AMAX's. Were you shooting a factory load or was it a hand load? Good shooting again!

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

That's awesome man!
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• kmon
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2015

Congrats, 1500 is a long way, thinking about it that is less than a MOA target at over 3/4 of a mile.

Guess there just isn't enough energy for any expansion in a milk jug at that range so it just punches through.

Comment

• davidj
          Warrior
          • Sep 2014

Congratulations. Great shooting.
          Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or foresee a fight. -The Havamal

Comment

• NugginFutz
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Excellent shooting, and to get it in five rounds. Mighty stable position you built there.

Thanks for linking the video.
            Last edited by NugginFutz; 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM.
            If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• PredatorDown
              Warrior
              • Jun 2014

I was shooting hand loads. 27.6gr of AR-Comp with CCI-450 primers, 123amax seated at 2.235 COAL.

I actually think the bullet would still actually do more to the jug with a more direct hit. Mine only went through about 2" of water before exiting. I might have to set up on my own and try it out sometime!

Comment

• kmon
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2015

Several years one of the guys that worked for me bet I could not hit a milk jug at 400 yards with an SKS standard open sights with 10 shots. Used Winchester white box factory soft point ammo. Had to walk it in but hit the jug 4 times 3 through the full width of water with 4 30 cal holes in each side of the jug we had to walk to it to confirm the hits.

Figure you are subsonic at 1500 yards with the Grendel and that bullet might not upset at the reduced speed in water.

Comment

• devildogandboy
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2015

great shooting! well done!

Bruce
                  HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THAT????????

Comment

• M60gov20
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jul 2015

Nice shooting!

Comment

• TropicalVibe
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2015

Really nice shooting! Well deserved patch and interview. 6.5G bustin' jugs at 1500 yards is mighty impressive!

TV

Comment

• LRRPF52
                        Super Moderator
                        • Sep 2014

Congrats! That's just over .85 miles away. Crazy, with a mild load too.
                        NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2012

Outstanding! You did us all proud sir.

Comment

• danm
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

Nice work man!!!

Comment

• Fredman
                              Warrior
                              • Sep 2014

Yes. Great job! I would be happy to hit the steel. Better yet, I'd be happy to just be there and watch.

Comment

Working...
                              X