Rumor- PRVI dropping their Grendel loads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

LB45, just don't wear one of those white hockey goalie masks. People will get the wrong idea. Just sayin'. . . .
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• 1075 tech
      Warrior
      • Apr 2015

How different is the PRVI from the Wolf line? I have 2 cases of Wolf steel and not nearly enough Wolf Gold. Of course, no issues through my SAAMI AA barrel.

Comment

• rabiddawg
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2013

I don't shoot the stuff and this pisses me off.

They better be glad I'm not a lawyer. I'd be making some barrel manufacturers real nervous.
        Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Guys:

I don't get it. There are probably dozens of chamber variations for the .308 and 5.56 yet I haven't seen nor heard of any ammo company recalling all their ammo and brass, claiming that their brass or ammo are dangerous to shoot in any of these variations.

Personally I have fired a bunch of Wolf 120 grain factory loads in what you guys call a 6.5 LBC as well as a SAAMI Grendel chamber with my only comment being how mild the loads were.

And, as someone else here said -- Hornady isn't recalling all of their Grendel ammo.

Too bad because the Wolf and PPU stuff was OK to shoot and much cheaper than any US factory load.

Maybe you guys should keep your 7.62 X 39 brass after all?

LR55

Comment

• rabiddawg
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2013

I would bet Prvi got tired of all the complaints about ammo not chambering or flattened primers etc. etc.
            Knowing everthing isnt as important as knowing where to find it.

Mark Twain

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...2-Yd-Whitetail

Comment

• rickOshay
              Warrior
              • Apr 2012

No, it doesn't make sense. This seems like a major CYA.

But Bill A's rather cryptic post did not suggest safety concerns.

No direct statement from Prvi, but lots of rumors.

Some are saying that it was due to people measuring excessive headspace: 0.007-8 under minimum.

Comment

• Grendelsbane
                Unwashed
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
                Guys:

I don't get it. There are probably dozens of chamber variations for the .308 and 5.56 yet I haven't seen nor heard of any ammo company recalling all their ammo and brass, claiming that their brass or ammo are dangerous to shoot in any of these variations.

Personally I have fired a bunch of Wolf 120 grain factory loads in what you guys call a 6.5 LBC as well as a SAAMI Grendel chamber with my only comment being how mild the loads were.

And, as someone else here said -- Hornady isn't recalling all of their Grendel ammo.

Too bad because the Wolf and PPU stuff was OK to shoot and much cheaper than any US factory load.

Maybe you guys should keep your 7.62 X 39 brass after all?

LR55
                The Silver State Armory Xtreme load debacle didn't knock Silver State out of the 6.8 market, so I agree that this doesn't make a lot of sense at the moment with what Prvi is saying.

Comment

• Eisenacharms
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2014

Anyone with a case gauge can check their PPU/Wolf Gold for excessive cartridge head space. This is the issue here. I've measured some rounds that were dangerously short and went on record several month ago in regards to this....

Nice to see PPU is recalling, I look forward to their small rifle primer offerings.

Comment

• JASmith
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Eisenacharms View Post
                    Anyone with a case gauge can check their PPU/Wolf Gold for excessive cartridge head space. This is the issue here. I've measured some rounds that were dangerously short and went on record several month ago in regards to this...
                    I will admit I personally knee-jerked to a different explanation but am open to hearing and understanding alternative causes.

Were all the cases in a particular box too short or was it a mixed bag?

I can see an ammunition maker blaming the rifle even when the problem lies in the ammunition. My confusion lies in the apparent complete and presumably permanently abandonment of Grendel ammuniton.

These apparent contradictions fuel speculation about what else might be going on...
                    shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                    -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• rickOshay
                      Warrior
                      • Apr 2012

When a manufacturer builds to a national standard (eg SAAMI), and they make a lot out of spec, they generally issue a notice of noncompliance and issue a recall of that lot.

But here, they've recalled all ammo and brass and blamed barrel manufacturers. No admission of out of spec product.

Smells bad.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Smells to high heaven. If the various chambers were the issue, why limit the recall to only the 2015 and later casings? Surely the offending chambers cannot tell the difference between a case manufactured from one year to the next!

I've read multiple instances of soft brass, primer pockets which loosen after only one or two firings, etc. I really have a hard time believing that the issue is in the barrel, and not in the cases. Otherwise, why would the other brands of ammunition and cases not be experiencing the same problem?
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Eisenacharms
                          Unwashed
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                          I will admit I personally knee-jerked to a different explanation but am open to hearing and understanding alternative causes.

Were all the cases in a particular box too short or was it a mixed bag?

I can see an ammunition maker blaming the rifle even when the problem lies in the ammunition. My confusion lies in the apparent complete and presumably permanently abandonment of Grendel ammuniton.

These apparent contradictions fuel speculation about what else might be going on...
                          Between a box of the wolf gold and a box of PPU I checked almost all the rounds were out of SAAMI specification.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
                            Administrator
                            • Feb 2011

EA, good info. Somehow we'll sort out this whole issue.
                            :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• cosh
                              Unwashed
                              • Sep 2014

I only had two boxes of 20ea. I pulled them down to reclaim the bullets for my 6.5 Swede. I have the 120 HP-BT and there was ~29 grains of powder and it only varied +/- 0.1 grain. I'll check the case length for HS.

Comment

• nimitzman
                                Bloodstained
                                • Mar 2016

they are recalling all their grendel loads www.info@ppu-usa.com 203 375-8544 for info

Comment

Working...
                                X