Rumor- PRVI dropping their Grendel loads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SD GUY
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2015

I never did purchase any PPU ammo or brass in 6.5 Grendel. Having looked over experiences from multiple parties that have been shared on various fourms it is clear to me PRIVI has had a big issue over a fairly wide spread of time affecting Wolf ammo as well. My opinion here thus far look like two big issues consist of first very soft brass including the head area, second and a much lesser concern on my part is the headspace is clearly running on the short side. Also clear to me a soft brass and short headspace have nothing to do with the chambers offered by various barrel makers.

Again my opinion here is this is very clearly a PRIVI quality control issue that shows they have had an ongoing issue with quality on their brass for an unforgivable duration of time. Both Wolf and PRIVI should have caught this long before this ammo made it to market in a perfect world. Seems so far no serious damage has occurred that is no one has
    suffered life or limb.

Hard lesson for PPU and a lesson we can all learn from. Good quality control is very worthwhile. Much easier to see with little hindsight.
    Last edited by SD GUY; 09-05-2016, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• SD GUY
      Unwashed
      • Sep 2015

Eisnacharms
      Thank you very much for sharing. Seems CIP allows the brass headspace to be in tolerance .003" shorter than SAMI when I extrapolate the numbers using junction points . Seems to me Hornady while out of spec for SAMMI slips in spec for CIP by the skin of their teeth. PPU on the other hand looks to be out of spec by.005" even by CIP standards.

I like JA Smiths idea of taking this to Hornady and perhaps even Lapua to see if we can work out a little more harmony between CIP and Sami spec.

Last question that runs through my head is are there really chambers out there that require brass headspace run on the very low end 1.210" CIP or 1.213"SAMI in order to function properly? If so do we really need to take these chambers in the consideration? My take is that they're out of spec then they are out of spec and it should not be the ammo manufacturers SAAMI or CiP's responsibility to accommodate the out of spec Chambers only to make more issues elsewhere.
      Last edited by SD GUY; 09-05-2016, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• dobrodan
        Bloodstained
        • Feb 2014

Војска Србије брани земљу од оружаног угрожавања споља и извршава друге мисије и задатке, у складу с Уставом, законом и принципима међународног права који регулишу употребу силе.

Some google-translate on this, and you may get a small shock!

Comment

• nimitzman
          Bloodstained
          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
          Nimitz- they must be recalling the ammo for a Big reason. Time will tell why, and if they release the reason.

More ammo companies are slowly coming on board. Speculation does nothing.

BFT & I have shot the fmj ammo from ppu- speeds are not very consistant. Accuracy is blasting watermelons @ 20 yds. only quality.

Don'y cry if they bail--- load your own quality ammo- it's soooo easy to do.

And price point is about the same.
          there is more going on here than first meets the eye. I have an aa built upper i purchased in 2012. also purchased 200 rds aa 120 gr ballistic tip ammo. shot very well but bullets lodged in throat when trying to unload. sent back to aa was first told by Ian there was no problem. then was told it needed to be broken in. Ian fired a couple hundred rds to break in my match throat! bullets no longer stick in throat. all ammo including ppu and hornady have flattened and cratered primers.I have had enough of this mess!

Comment

• JASmith
            Chieftain
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by nimitzman View Post
            ...ll ammo including ppu and hornady have flattened and cratered primers...
            Can you point us to threads where you have discussed these challenges?
            shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
            -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by dobrodan View Post
              http://www.vs.rs/index.php?news_arti...b-001a649ddcfe

Some google-translate on this, and you may get a small shock!
              As previously discussed in this thread...

Saw a comment from someone at SGAMMO that claimed PRVI was getting out of Grendel. Seems unlikely, but dies anyone have any concrete information either way?
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• SDguy
                Warrior
                • Oct 2015

I sure would like to see some of the suspect ammo from proven exaggerated case deformation. Love to see that same ammo fired in a certified acceptable 6.5 Grendel chamber. More than anything I would like to see a few boxes of ammo pulled down and have the hardness of the brass tested by a couple independent certified inspection businesses. Somthing tells me brass Hardness is the primary issue although the problems do not stop there. I am confident as HE double toothpicks this brass has had some really soft brass slipping through for well to long, & sure it does not help that the head space is .003 to .008 out of spec.

Preferrable for PPU if they can recall the brass and ammo and avoid any further scrutiny. Also be nice to make sure no one gets hurt. And my opinion is if this recall gives some Grendel barrel makers a black eye or the cartridge in general PPU Don't care as long as they may shift the potential for blame else where. GRR a bad situation for sure.

Sorry to see this as I know they have made some pretty fair brass in other caliber's in the past. Hit & miss I suppose. Really don't care to see the Grendel getting muddled up over chit like this!

Comment

• Retro
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2016

I bought 40 rounds of the PPU 110gr Grendel ammo from Cheaper Than Dirt and just a few days ago received and email from PRIVI that they are giving refunds and want me to ship the stuff back for a refund or replacement with another caliber. They even are offering to pay return shipping. The info says that they may be subject to excessive pressure and could damage your weapon.

Comment

• Retro
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2016

Comment

• FW Conch
                      Warrior
                      • Nov 2014

How far back does this recall go ?

Comment

• pinetreebbs
                        Warrior
                        • Nov 2013

Originally posted by FW Conch View Post
                        How far back does this recall go ?
                        When I called I asked about affected dates and lots, the answer was all their Grendel ammunition.

FWIW, I broke down my 40 rounds and sent them a picture of the components and destroyed brass. I did so to avoid the cost, theirs, of shipping it back. Rather than a refund I opted to get two boxes of another caliber they make. I felt like they were not 100% at fault for the problem and the less it costs them to, "make it right" the better.

Comment

• nimitzman
                          Bloodstained
                          • Mar 2016

Originally posted by SDguy View Post
                          I sure would like to see some of the suspect ammo from proven exaggerated case deformation. Love to see that same ammo fired in a certified acceptable 6.5 Grendel chamber. More than anything I would like to see a few boxes of ammo pulled down and have the hardness of the brass tested by a couple independent certified inspection businesses. Somthing tells me brass Hardness is the primary issue although the problems do not stop there. I am confident as HE double toothpicks this brass has had some really soft brass slipping through for well to long, & sure it does not help that the head space is .003 to .008 out of spec.

Preferrable for PPU if they can recall the brass and ammo and avoid any further scrutiny. Also be nice to make sure no one gets hurt. And my opinion is if this recall gives some Grendel barrel makers a black eye or the cartridge in general PPU Don't care as long as they may shift the potential for blame else where. GRR a bad situation for sure.

Sorry to see this as I know they have made some pretty fair brass in other caliber's in the past. Hit & miss I suppose. Really don't care to see the Grendel getting muddled up over chit like this!
                          I can send you a case or two of the ppu fired in my aa/ bergara upper. i think the brass metalurgy is better than hornady which has cracks after one reload. havnt reloaded the ppu. just returned a case to them. they are very accomadating even paid me for gas to the shipper in the next town. I have privi brass from the early 90's in 6.5x55 great stuff. everything i have fired has flattened primers in the grendel.

Comment

• SDguy
                            Warrior
                            • Oct 2015

Glad to hear PPU has been treating you well in so many respects.

I can send you a case or two of the ppu fired in my aa/ bergara upper. i think the brass metalurgy is better than hornady which has cracks after one reload. havnt reloaded the ppu. just returned a case to them. they are very accomadating even paid me for gas to the shipper in the next town. I have privi brass from the early 90's in 6.5x55 great stuff. everything i have fired has flattened primers in the grendel.
                            nimitzman Sounds like the ammo you have been working with has been treating you very well. Good / acceptable performance either due to random lot was not of any great concern. Or due to your forgiving chamber throat configuration. Wink

Thanks for the offer, though the brass I am desiring to see is the exaggerated deformed brass. Do not realistically expect that Ill be able to acquire enough of the needed data to learn anything significantly more unless I was directly doing a project for PPU with mutual cooperation.

So I really don't expect that to happen. So forgive me for thinking out loud.

Comment

• LRRPF52
                              Super Moderator
                              • Sep 2014

PPU brass metallurgy better than Hornady?

I have yet to lose a Hornady case to splits. I have lost several PPU cases just from re-sizing once-fired. They are soft, with a bad reputation for bulging up in the web area like a belted magnum.
                              NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• JASmith
                                Chieftain
                                • Sep 2014

Piling on... I ran Hornady brass through at lest 14 reloads before my first case failure ...

Others have done a lot better.
                                shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
                                -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

Working...
                                X