Filled my Elk tag with the grendel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filled my Elk tag with the grendel!

I filled my cow elk tag today with the Grendel. She was 204 yards facing me. I shot her at the base of the neck/chest. I used the Barnes 120ttsx's with 30 grains of 2520. What a great way to start the year off!

• bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Well done!

Comment

WAY COOL!! ELK with a Grendel. Nice ! When you get rested and cleaned up tell us more. Did you recover the Barnes bullet?

Comment

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
        WAY COOL!! ELK with a Grendel. Nice ! When you get rested and cleaned up tell us more. Did you recover the Barnes bullet?
        Thanks, I did look for the bullet but didn't find it. I didn't get to carried away looking for the bullet. I was by myself and needed to get her taken care of first and foremost. I clipped the one lung and the heart. After I shot her and got over there I saw the rest of the heard just over the hill(about 30). After I got home I started wishing I had spent more time looking for the bullet. Definately not worried about using the grendel for elk as long as you make a decent shot.

Comment

Nice! What velocities are you getting with the 120gr TTSX and that load? Are you zeroed at 100 and used your point blank zero? Was she DRT?

Comment

Congratulations, also let us know if the bullet broke any bones or not.
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
              Nice! What velocities are you getting with the 120gr TTSX and that load? Are you zeroed at 100 and used your point blank zero? Was she DRT?
              I am getting right at 2600 fps and the rifle is zeroed is at 200yrds. She didn't drop right there but only went 5 to 10 yrds.

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                Congratulations, also let us know if the bullet broke any bones or not.
                Bob
                Thanks, Nothing broken for major bones. Shot went in at the base of neck/brisket. Wishing I spent more time looking for the bullet. My brain at the time was thinking about getting her taken care of and getting out of the woods before dark.

Comment

nice job!!! now go fill some wolf tags!

Comment

• BjornF16
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2011

Is that a 24 inch barrel?
                    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

I know how reassuring it is to get your anmial out of the woods and taken care of before dark. A hunting partner can be nice. Years ago I took my girlfriend hunting with me so she could help. Now we're married and she stays home and shops. So I started taking my daughter out. Now, I gotta drag both of our kills out-mostly after dark...Hmm... .Maybe hunting by yourself is better afterall.

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                        Is that a 24 inch barrel?
                        Yep. It is AA's barrel, bolt and upper combo.

Comment

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
                          I know how reassuring it is to get your anmial out of the woods and taken care of before dark. A hunting partner can be nice. Years ago I took my girlfriend hunting with me so she could help. Now we're married and she stays home and shops. So I started taking my daughter out. Now, I gotta drag both of our kills out-mostly after dark...Hmm... .Maybe hunting by yourself is better afterall.
                          I ended up getting help to get her out of the woods. Could have done it myself but was parked at a friends house so he came out to help. My wife is still hunting but the gutting is up to me. She harvested a mule deer with her 6.8 this last season. I love my me time in the woods but I love taking my wife, daughters or someone new to the sport. I get just as much or more out of it watching someone shoot their first animal!

Comment

Congratulations, nice kill.

Comment

• Variable
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2011

Very nice! Congrats!
                              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Working...
                              X