Image Quality on Vortex Viper PST, Viper HS Tactical w/Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Image Quality on Vortex Viper PST, Viper HS Tactical w/Pics

Here are some shots I took yesterday through some of the Vortex tubes. The first is through the 2.5-10x44 MRAD Viper PST, SFP. This is what I currently have mounted on my 16" Grendel. Great scope, great FOV, forgiving exit pupil, eye relief, excellent reticle. This image is on 10x:

The nexts is the Vortex/Midway exclusive Viper HS Tactical, 5-15x44 Mil Dot. It's mounted on the .260 Rem AR10 built by GAP. This is on 15x:

I wish I would have had some NF, and other scopes to compare in the exact same conditions to give an idea of the optical clarity comparisons.

Sweet, how far was the target in the photos?

Comment

Distance is 400m.

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Cool pics! I've talked a couple of guys at work into buying some PST's (so I could check them out-LOL), and I was pretty impressed for the money. I am planning on using them for some future builds.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

When I look at what the Viper PST series offers me, the customer support, unlimited lifetime warranty, with a product that rarely needs it, plus the features, I simply can't justify buying $1400-$2000 scopes right now.

If anyone is wondering why the distance is in meters, my friends have that area set-up for shooting their .45-70 Sharps Rifles on steel rams, pigs, & chickens.

Comment

Here's the 2.5-10x44 Viper PST on 2.5x, then 5x, then 10x:

Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2012, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• Captain Nick

One of my retirement jobs is being a distributor of the Juggernaut Rogue chassis for M1A rifles. I bought a Vortex Viper 30mm in 6.5X20 and it is a great scope. Maybe I'll pull it off that gun and put it on my Grendel!

Comment

I actually bought that 6.5-20x44 Mildot Vortex Viper a few years ago just to see what the company and product were like. A friend bought it off me, and I wish I had kept it. I then bought the Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD, and got the Viper HS Tactical 5-15x44 Mildot several months ago.

I used to only buy Leupold, USO, & NF. I've been converted to a Vortex customer, as I can't justify spending that kind of coin for all my blasters.

When the budget is right, I might get a Hensoldt, but until then, it will be Vortex. Looking at a 4-16x50 MRAD for the .260 Rem AR10 next, as well as a 1-6x Razor HD for 3-gun.

Comment

• Captain Nick

I am very impressed with mine. I love my Leupolds and Zeiss's, but the Vortex line is great glass for the money. I'll buy another one, for sure.

Comment

• Harvest123

Great job on the pics. Would love to get one, Saving Pennies

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

I plan on getting a 2.5-10x44 pst. my question is will it be decent at 1000? also what is a good price for one?

Comment

I will leave the range question to those better informed than I but, I use mine up to 350 yards and it works great for me
                        About a year and half ago I paid $499 for mine new.

Comment

• leopard6.5

65G_Sethum: you might try this and see if they have any left:

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 in both MRAD and MOA. We have a couple of the MRAD versions that were sold and exchanged for other scopes (never mounted) that we are offering as open box/used but never mounted @ only $479.99. Please call Doug or Neil @ 212-753-5128 if you are interested.

Their web page for the scope is: http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...iperpst2-10x44

Doug at Cameraland in NY posts here on the forum quite often with their sales. He usually posts these in the classified section for non-Grendel stuff.
                          That's where I found this listed with their other sales. Look for a posting from gr8fuldoug or search his posts through the community member list at the top of the page if you want to see all his posts.

They also offer a 10% off their normal prices for forum members. I don't know if the 10% off would be honored off the discount prices for the listing I put above.

Good luck and great shooting.

Lee

Comment

• 65G_Sethum

Thanks for the great info!

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by 65G_Sethum View Post
                              I plan on getting a 2.5-10x44 pst. my question is will it be decent at 1000? also what is a good price for one?
                              I've used the 6-24x50 FFP PST (set on 12x) at 1,000 yards with a 10MOA down angle mount. Worked great. I was 4 click from max elevation with hand loaded 123 AMax. I'd get 20 MOA down angle mount if you want to shoot anything heavier/slower. 10 MOA down angle may not be enough for factory 123 AMax.

10X is adequate for 1,000 yards, but having the 24X magnification is nice for seeing the target markers that far out and for viewing targets closer in.

I can see bullet holes at 300 yards on 24X.

RR

Comment

Working...
                              X