X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ericv
    Warrior
    • Oct 2011

Wow, now I see why I only paid $90 for that piece of crap Osprey I bought. That thing is history as soon as I can buy something good. Nice pics
    Rock Hollow Tactical Carbon Fiber Free Float Hand Guards
    www.rockhollowtactical.com

Comment

• hobbesgunner

Have a 6-24 PST on a DPMS 65 Creedmoor and a Strikefire red dot on a carbine...fantastic glass for the $$$$....compares to VX II's and III's I have....maybe little bigger, heavier ......not quite a MK 4 though...

Comment

whats your opinion of the 1-4x24 vortex with the moa reticle. I have the 6-24x50 PST with FFP on my Grendel. Im wanting this other scope for my Beowulf. I was tossing around an aimpoint PRO, but i think this 1-4 will give me a little more. Trouble is everyone i work with who claim to be the kings of scopes and rifles, even though my Grendel has outshot the heck out of everything they own including bolt guns tell me that a 24 mm objective is garbage and it wont gather enough light. This scope is also 2 to 3 times more expensive than anything any of them have ever installed on there rifles. All my research on the internet says that a scope transmits light, not gather light. It also states that it doesnt matter how big your objective is the light still only travels down a 1 inch or 30mm tube. Only so much light can travel through and only so much can enter the pupil because it only dilates so large i think 4 to 6 mm. I like the moa reticle very much and the fact that it has a 1 moa center and gives me a little magnification. vs the Aimpoint PRO which gives me a 2 moa dot and no magnification. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated LRRPF52.

Comment

I really like the 1-4x24 Viper PST for a 1-4x scope. It has good clarity, a great reticle for more precision shooting, while being able to function as a close-range optic like a RDS. For Louisiana and the Southeast region, or a closer range brush-buster scope, I think it's a great option for the Beowulf. Since you probably would have a hard time finding a lot of practical distances to shoot beyond 200yds, I think a solid, well-built 1-4x is tough to beat. If the Wulf ever does crash it, you have Vortex's unconditional, 100% guarantee, with super-fast customer service.

Vortex scopes have passed frozen overnight, then fired on .300 WM multiple times with flying colors, so I wouldn't worry about the scope taking the abuse. See if Cameraland has any deals on box opened samples, which they post here often.

Comment

I have both the 6-24 PST FFP MOA and the 1-4PST. The 6-24 is on my 24" Grendel and the 1-4 is on the 16" Grendel. I LOVE the 1-4 on the 16" gun. Illuminated reticle is nice for night hunting predators, and I got to put it to use a couple weeks ago. Very nice, very bright, and perfect for up close and personal.

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kamrr4437 View Post
              whats your opinion of the 1-4x24 vortex with the moa reticle. I have the 6-24x50 PST with FFP on my Grendel. Im wanting this other scope for my Beowulf. I was tossing around an aimpoint PRO, but i think this 1-4 will give me a little more. Trouble is everyone i work with who claim to be the kings of scopes and rifles, even though my Grendel has outshot the heck out of everything they own including bolt guns tell me that a 24 mm objective is garbage and it wont gather enough light. This scope is also 2 to 3 times more expensive than anything any of them have ever installed on there rifles. All my research on the internet says that a scope transmits light, not gather light. It also states that it doesnt matter how big your objective is the light still only travels down a 1 inch or 30mm tube. Only so much light can travel through and only so much can enter the pupil because it only dilates so large i think 4 to 6 mm. I like the moa reticle very much and the fact that it has a 1 moa center and gives me a little magnification. vs the Aimpoint PRO which gives me a 2 moa dot and no magnification. Your thoughts will be greatly appreciated LRRPF52.
              Maximum pupil dilation (dark adapted eyes) is generally around 5-9mm, with us older folks (over 25) having a bit smaller sizes. I personally use 7mm as a rule of thumb for memories sake, with the excess allowing a more forgiving alignment.

24 divided by 4 = 6mm, and you are correct that it is about as large as a lot of our pupils will dilate. I personally wouldn't have any issues with it's objective size in relation to it's magnification.
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

Thanks guys i appreciate all your feedback on my question. Thanks very much. Vortex 1-4x24 it is.

Keith

Comment

Working...
                X