Day out Shooting with CFE223, 123gr A-MAX, 107gr SMK 16" Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day out Shooting with CFE223, 123gr A-MAX, 107gr SMK 16" Grendel

I've had some batches of safety ladders worked up using CFE to get an idea of where my carbine stands with regard to velocity and consistency with Hodgdon's CFE223.

123gr A-MAX First
    I had a suspicion that Hornady's data in the 9th Edition for 120-123gr pills could be based on the least common denominator of the projectile with the most drag in bore and start pressure sensitivity, which is the 120gr GMX solid copper unit.

Two things that steered me in that direction were the data meticulously recorded by Bwild97 here, and Hornady's CFE data for the 129gr SST, which is .5gr higher for the max load compared to the 120-123gr pills.

I already know that my Grendel handles 31.0gr of CFE well behind the 123gr A-MAX, so I wanted to run more extensive testing to see where the charge weight starts to spike.

I loaded 10 incremental charges, with 2 batches of each 10-round sequence. I used the longest COL I could get away with in my chamber and mags, which was

* 2.272"-2.277"
    * once-fired Lapua brass
    * Remington 7.5 primers
    * 123gr A-MAX
    * CFE223

Here's where you need to check yourself when viewing this data, because I literally expected to hit bad pressure signs much earlier. Thoroughly examine your experience with hand-loading before considering using any of the below data, especially since I set out to depart from published max loads.

A Chrony Beta Master was used for velocity readings as a potential indicator of pressure spikes, erratic deviations from a trend, or consistent charge weight to velocity increase. The Chronograph was at least 15ft from the muzzle. Temperature was 60 F measured on-site with a thermometer out of the sunlight, next to the shooting position.

Brass was measured before and after shooting, at the case web just above the extractor groove, using dial calipers in order to inspect for case web expansion (serious pressure sign). Before, measurements were consistently .441"-.442" at this location. After each round was fired, the chronograph reading was observed, recorded, and brass inspected visually and with the calipers.

31.1gr 2489 fps case web .441" dia., no ejector swipes, no primer abnormalities
    31.4gr 2520 fps same, velocity increase was 31fps
    31.7gr 2532 fps same, 12fps increase
    32.0gr 2553 fps same, 21fps
    32.3gr 2572 fps same, 19fps

At this point, I stopped and double-checked everything, since I was into some unusually fast velocities for a 16" Grendel with a 123gr A-MAX. I had not seen any significant jumps in velocity outside of 31fps at this point, which is consistent with .3gr increments in this case and other powder/projo combos.

I decided to seek the point of departure by pressing forward cautiously.

32.6gr 2598 fps no dimensional change in the web, primer GTG, 26fps increase
    32.9gr 2612 fps same, 14fps
    33.2gr 2640 fps primer starting to crater, 28fps increase
    33.5gr 2698 fps slight cratering again, 58fps spike

At this point, I had found what I was looking for, which was a clear departure from the trend, confirmed with slightly cratered primers. I had to have been well above Grendel SAAMI Maximum Average Operating Pressure by then for certain. The question is, when did I exceed that point, and what is a safe load for me?

2698 fps from a 16" Grendel carbine pushing a 123gr A-MAX is some bad ju-ju, and you won't find any industry-tested data from a 24" gun to-date over 2650fps that I'm aware of.

Either way, CFE appears to be some very forgiving powder as to building pressure ideally in the Grendel. I chose not to fire the last round of 33.8gr, because I knew I would have even more of a cratered primer or worse, and I had already exceeded MAOP much earlier.

107gr SMK
    I then moved on to my 107gr loads with CFE.

107gr SMK
    CFE223
    Lapua 1 x fired brass
    Rem 7.5 Primer
    2.275" COL

Everything went haywire at this point. I could not correlate one charge weight with a sensible velocity at all. I don't know if the Chrony went to lunch, the sun angle made readings skewed, or what. First time I have seen it with this chronograph.

31.5gr 2708 fps no pressure signs on brass or primers, velocity reading WTH?
    31.8gr 2522 fps
    32.3gr 2526 fps
    32.7gr 2658 fps
    33.0gr 2750 fps
    33.3gr 2575
    33.6gr 2672
    33.8gr 2668
    34.0gr 2757

I don't know if the cartridges were rearranged in my case, or got somehow out of sequence, but the brass was all fine, no cratered primers, nothing other than a mystery with the numbers, especially since the first and last loads were so close, as well as the middle????

Questions
    I started wondering if my digital scale had been subjected to RF interference during the loading session at my bench, and other sanity checks, as this is the first time I have seen this type of behavior with the Grendel. I was definitely scratching my head.

It could also be that my COL is so long, that I'm spiking the pressure from the start with the ogive jammed into the lands. Dimensional variation in the projectiles can account for different jump and jam depths, even with the same raw COLs, so I think I need to consider reducing the COL.

Experiences in the past with TAC and the 100gr NBT showed pressure signs right where one would expect them when I exceeded published velocities for max loads with that combination, to include blatant ejector extrusion, cratered primers, and velocity excursions from the safe trendline. Today, I didn't see one single instance of ejector extrusion or even a hint of ejector shadow on either of the load batches.

Conclusions
    CFE is a very forgiving powder in my Grendel at 60 F with the above loads. I need to reevaluate my bench, look at COLs again, and double-up Chronographs next trip. I'm still at a loss on the 107gr SMK's. I suspect a mistake somewhere on my part. Either way, many of the velocities were above max book value for 24" Grendels, which is a major red flag I think, but I also suspect that CFE will safely deliver noticeably higher velocities than any of the other powders I have worked with, and not spike.

Even at ~ max listed book data of 31.1gr under the 123gr A-MAX, I'm within 11fps of an 18" Grendel. What this day did for me was establish a set of known parameters where I can look for accuracy nodes in the future with my set-up.

BTW, every one of these loads was shot at 500yds on a large rock formation, with nice impacts. We video'd it through a spotting scope when I shot on IPSC steel as well.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2013, 06:26 PM.
  • Blacklab
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

thanks for pushing the envelope on the CFE. Looking forward to your accuracy testing with those speeds.
    Hey I'm not a complete idiot I have parts missing. Though some times I wonder.

Grendellizing predators as of the fall of 2012.

Small bullets that go really fast, make me giggle...........

Comment

For my 16" Grendel, it appears to be safe to run the 123gr A-MAX at 2550fps on top of CFE at 60 F with a bit longer than book COL. I will start looking at some accuracy testing with CFE again the next time I go out, in order to find some nodes.

If the nodes are closer to the mid 2400's, I will favor accuracy over velocity any day in this cartridge. For comparison, the factory Hornady 123gr A-MAX averaged 2460fps for me last time I shot it.

CFE being a high density ball powder with fine and inconsistent kernel geometry, the question still remains as to what will happen when the temps go to 80 or 90 F. In order to address that as best as I could for myself, I left each cartridge in the chamber for no less than 10 seconds before firing it, to somewhat address temp sensitivity, since I was recording data and analyzing the brass with calipers after each shot anyway.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2013, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the new data LRR.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Good write up!! I'm wondering about a test with 123gr SST's. I'm also wondering how CFE will do with the coming 129gr Nosler LR that are coming this December.

Comment

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
            Good write up!! I'm wondering about a test with 123gr SST's. I'm also wondering how CFE will do with the coming 129gr Nosler LR that are coming this December.
            So far, I haven't seen a big difference with the 123gr SST and 123gr A-MAX where I shot them at distance for trajectory comparison, but I need to do a detailed side-by-side some time with them. I'm more interested in the SST's accuracy potential compared to the A-MAX, but from everyone's field experiences on actual game, it appears to be a very accurate hunting bullet so far.

CFE is also making me wonder about the 140's as well, which will force me to eat my words on it. I know Bwil97 got some unusually fast velocities with several 140gr class bullets, especially the 142gr SMK, using a 24" barrel and CFE.

I'm going to test the 129gr SST's like I did the 123gr A-MAX yesterday, and see what the threshold really is for me. If I could get some of the 129gr ABLR's, that would be nice. Has anyone seen them yet?

Comment

LRRPF52
              If I could get some of the 129gr ABLR's, that would be nice. Has anyone seen them yet?
              129 Nosler ABLR comming soon!!

Thank you LRRPF52! That is a fantastic report of CFE223. Your experiences with CFE and the 107g SMK are very similar to what I witnessed with CFE and the 100g A-max. After a lil head scratching over here, I am thinking that 100-110g pills my be a little light for that slow of a powder. Until the powder charge reaches 100% + case fill the velocities are a little erratic.

It is also good to see that your 16" velocities are on par with what StokesRJ's 14.5" barrel produced given the differences in barrel length.

Any noticeable muzzle flash with the heavier charges of CFE223?
              Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

• dammitman
                Warrior
                • Dec 2012

this is some of the best reporting i have seen, i hat e to say it but its nice to let you guys experiment with your gun! i mean it when i say,,,,,THANKS!

Comment

• bwaites
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                  LRRPF52

129 Nosler ABLR comming soon!!

Thank you LRRPF52! That is a fantastic report of CFE223. Your experiences with CFE and the 107g SMK are very similar to what I witnessed with CFE and the 100g A-max. After a lil head scratching over here, I am thinking that 100-110g pills my be a little light for that slow of a powder. Until the powder charge reaches 100% + case fill the velocities are a little erratic.

It is also good to see that your 16" velocities are on par with what StokesRJ's 14.5" barrel produced given the differences in barrel length.

I'm going to have to try CFE and 107's in my 28". That slower burn rate might be magic in the longer barrel. I had some promising results shooting it with 130's in the 28", but I haven't revisited. I had been very happy with 107's and XBR, with outstanding accuracy, but I wasn't getting the velocity I had hoped for.

HMMMMM.......

Comment

• XcountryRider

My buddy just ordered 8lbs of CFE 223 and i have plenty of 140gr pills to play with from I40gr SST's to 140gr Accutips (could be the same round). He wants to sell me half the CFE so it maybe something worth trying. What should be my starting load?

Comment

• WildBill3/75

good info, If only I could find some CFE223

Comment

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
                        My buddy just ordered 8lbs of CFE 223 and i have plenty of 140gr pills to play with from I40gr SST's to 140gr Accutips (could be the same round). He wants to sell me half the CFE so it maybe something worth trying. What should be my starting load?

I usually start at 28g of CFE223 or LeveRevolution and a GM205m, CCi BR-4, Wolf SRM for the 140g pills when working up a load.

Comment

Originally posted by Bwild97 View Post
                          LRRPF52

I don't think 107's weight should be an issue, but that's weird that you had a similar experience with the 100gr A-MAX. If you look at a 107gr SMK, it's an extremely long bullet for weight, so it should be approached from a load standpoint similar to the 123gr SMK. Bearing surface is very long, and the projo takes up a lot of room.

I didn't notice any muzzle flash, as I was in the scope, and I have an A2 style compensator on mine. The velocities really slapped me in the face as to what is possible, and I really think Hornady used the 120gr GMX as a safety threshold in their testing with CFE. It would be interesting to know.

Comment

• cory
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2012

Thanks for the analysis LR!

Something must be in the air, I was getting some weird readings from my chrono today. The SD was ridiculous. I did get to 2400+ fps with the 140gr SSTs. I'll post my results once I get a chance to analyze my data and brass.
                            "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I hope everyone looked closely at what I was doing in evaluating for excessive pressure:

* Velocity/chrono readings, charge weight increase trends
                              * Stop with each round and analyze the brass, starting with calipers on the base above the extractor groove checking diameter compared to before shooting.
                              * Look at the primer for unusual flatness, cratering, piercing, soot flow, or blown primer
                              * Look at case head for ejector swipes, brass-flow into ejector channel

Comment

Working...
                              X