Day out Shooting with CFE223, 123gr A-MAX, 107gr SMK 16" Grendel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tested lesser charges with CFE before this last trip, so I knew that 31.0gr under the 123gr A-MAX and SST were fine in my Grendel. Hornady book max was with Hornady brass, CFE223, and another primer-printed in the 9th Edition. They maxed out at 2500fps with an 18" Alexander Arms test rifle pushing the 120-123gr pills with 31.2gr at 2.245" COL in a SAAMI Grendel chamber. Notice that I loaded waaaay long for COL at 2.272"-2.275". I did that intentionally as to avoid compression as much as possible. Too much compression can equal very erratic pressures, which is not a good thing on the edge.

If you have worked with CFE before and reached 30-31.0grs, start there with small increments. If not, start at 29.0gr and work up. I used .3gr increments this time. Based on what numbers you were getting before, your barrel might find faster speed with lower charges than Hornady's, which is why I recommend working up the powder if it is a new component for your recipes. Another forum member asked me for recommended start loads for his bolt action Grendel, and I still strongly suggested starting at 29.0gr and working up from there. He did, and found some excellent loads along the pressure ladder, grouping well below 2" at 200yds. The start at 29.0gr gave him plenty of room to establish a trend line from which to expect velocity increases, so that when something erratic showed up, it was clear.

That said, I think you will have no problem reaching 2580fps. The main thing is, will it be a spike to that velocity, or a nice step up from the previous load. If you are able to slowly step up to 2580fps with a consistent 12-25fps increase per .3gr of charge weight, you should be in pretty good territory. I like what you were doing with multiple chronographs to mitigate chrono screen/lighting issues, so if you can do that, you will have even more reliable data. Your extra 2" of barrel should yield a little more speed.

Another good point that one of our members pointed out was that he likes to pick the least amount of charge weight step figures from a pressure ladder for accuracy, which is another way of approaching OCW. If you look at my last string, 31.4gr and 31.7gr only had 12fps increase, and 32.0gr was only 21fps above 31.7gr. When I run my next batch of the exact same string of loads, I will look and see if that trend is in the same place, and then load maybe 31.7gr (2532fps) for OCW using batches of seating depths as my new approach to barrel time.

Before I do that, I'm going to research a little more into CFE's behavior in the Grendel, but it looks to be one of the most promising powders right now, but with some nuances that should not go unrecognized. Make sure that you don't have any RF interference if you're using a digital scale at your bench (cell phones need to be far away). Looking forward to your results.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I loaded a dummy round to 2.275 and it chambered fine in my 18in Grendel so i guess i'm a go for a test!!

Comment

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
        I loaded a dummy round to 2.275 and it chambered fine in my 18in Grendel so i guess i'm a go for a test!!
        Did it extract without any signs of engaging the lands? Do you know how far you are from the lands?

Comment

• XcountryRider

Any updates have you did anymore testing?

Comment

Not yet. Been replacing doors, lots of honey-do's, business, working on Volume II, etc.

I think I'm slated to load up some of the charge weights that I think are promising, then will seating depth test them for accuracy nodes.

Then I'm interested to see how well CFE works with the 129gr SST.

Comment

• XcountryRider

I loaded up some test rounds for CFE 223 with 123gr SST. The goal is to get right around 2580FPS from my 18in barrel. I started at 30gr and worked up to 31.7gr's in .3 gr increments. I probably won't be able to test until Thanksgiving weekend. I also picked up 100 129gr SST from Midwayusa as blemished rounds. By the time i do the test i'll probably load some of those as well.

Comment

• GMinor
                Warrior
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Bwil97 got some unusually fast velocities with several 140gr class bullets, especially the 142gr SMK, using a 24" barrel and CFE.
                Is there a link to any data on this? That would be very interesting to see and then try...

Comment

Here are the drop box links to the Data chart provided by Seatlroadwr, A very big THANK YOU!! https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88798310/Grendel%20Loads%20from%20Bwild%2097%20Updated.pdf https://dl.dropbox.com/u/88798310/Grendel%20Loads%20from%20Bwild%2097%20Updated.xlsx

Comment

• GMinor
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2013

Grazie

Comment

• GMinor
                      Warrior
                      • Sep 2013

That 142 SMK info starts on pg 14 and the real data is on pg 16

Comment

• frittsk
                        Bloodstained
                        • Sep 2013

Awesome thread! Just starting to work up some loads for my new Grendel and this thread has been a bunch of help. Has anyone worked up any loads for the Nosler 120 gn Ballistic Tip?

Comment

Comment

• XcountryRider

For working up a load for 129gr SST what would be a good starting load. Do you think a MV of 2500fps is an obtainable goal for a 18in?? What would be a top load?

Comment

I started with 28.5gr, and worked up to 30.3gr of CFE223 in my 16", but I was using 2.280" COL. I wasn't able to get any velocity readings, because the range I went to that day didn't allow it on the 200-300yd lanes, so I just tested for accuracy at 200yds.

29.9 - 20.3gr were all compressed for me though. I was using Lapua 1x fired, Rem 7 1/2 primers.

Hornady's 9th Edition shows a max load of 31.7gr of CFE at 2.245" COL, but doesn't list it as compressed. That load shows 2300fps for them from an 18" gun.

Comment

• XcountryRider

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                                I started with 28.5gr, and worked up to 30.3gr of CFE223 in my 16", but I was using 2.280" COL. I wasn't able to get any velocity readings, because the range I went to that day didn't allow it on the 200-300yd lanes, so I just tested for accuracy at 200yds.

29.9 - 20.3gr were all compressed for me though. I was using Lapua 1x fired, Rem 7 1/2 primers.

Hornady's 9th Edition shows a max load of 31.7gr of CFE at 2.245" COL, but doesn't list it as compressed. That load shows 2300fps for them from an 18" gun.
                                Using Bwild97 data as a reference i started at 29gr and loaded up to 30.8gr's of CFE223 with a COL of 2.27. He got 2629fps from a 24in at 30.8gr with CCI 450 primers. I decided to work my way up to his load. 2629fps should render around 2500fps from a 18in barrel.

Comment

Working...
                                X