• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

huntertown arms suppressors

Has any body had any experience with huntertown arms suppressors as I am shopping for a suppressor and they are about half the price as the other overpriced companies like aac and all the others
  • wraith1516
    Warrior
    • Dec 2014

since nobody has posted anything on here am I to assume nobody has used them

Comment

• LRRPF52
      Super Moderator
      • Sep 2014

I wouldn't call the big name companies overpriced.

There is the science behind making cans quieter, stronger, and lighter, with innovative QD solutions. That is not easy, and requires a lot of investment from the manufacturers, who take big risks in investing in new equipment, engineers, testing, and more testing.

Once they get into the suppressor business, there is no resting on laurels, and a constant improvement is expected. If you look at some of the high-end cans, they are made from Titanium, are very strong, very quiet, and very light. They are also made to exacting standards in terms of concentricity and construction.

Anyone can make a tube with some baffles in it of heavy stainless and it will hold together for a while, and will muffle the muzzle crack. There isn't anything unusually expensive when taking a basic approach to suppressors.

When installing a suppressor on a gas-operated firearm, simple cans may cause a lot of problems right off the bat, liked reduced bolt life due to simple first chamber designs, exacerbated fouling, and other back-pressure issues that have been specifically addressed by a lot of the big companies with dedicated engineering teams with expensive modeling software, and expensive real-world testing procedures.

That said, from what I'm seeing, the Huntertown Arms Titanium tube, stainless stacked core, direct thread Chameleon suppressor is about $699 MSRP, and weighs 17.5oz.

For the price and weight, a lot of people might be more inclined to get the AAC 762-SD QD 23oz suppressor for $650.

I'm not seeing the half-priced units from them. The Huntertown Kestrel is listed as $599 on their site, which is the direct thread all stainless model for .30 cal or under.
      NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I disagree.

Suppressor manufacturing is not rocket science and there's always a portion of the price allocated to brand equity. Some offsets research and development but the manufacturer will always charge what the market will bear. If you want a pair of $100 Nike shoes what price are you prepared to pay for the same shoes without the logo? Gun manufacturers are getting on the band wagon with a proliferation of bad-boy logo's and company names etched into uppers and lowers and smaller parts like charging handles. Some companies have fan bases.

Surefire is a case in point. For the torch and body technology extraordinarily overpriced. KAS, LaRue and Noveske are other examples. Quality parts underpinned by the capitalist profit imperative. If you are ever in New Zealand take a look at the equivalent suppressors. Almost no-name manufacturers who take what the local market can bear. Similar technology and components. Up to 50% less for a titanium can...but no logo.

Comment

• wraith1516
          Warrior
          • Dec 2014

Thank you my point In a nutshell my maglight suppressor has more of a decibel reduction than my friends overpriced aac unit and it cost me all of $65 to get the parts (plus the government's $200 fee and their asinine paperwork) and yes both were shot from the same caliber upper and we can't forget his what hundred and fifty dollar muzzle attachment to put his suppressor on thus bringing his total 2 what a thousand dollars for the silencer $200 for the tax stamp hundred and fifty dollars for the muzzle device

Comment

• wraith1516
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

seems like it would be literally cheaper to fly to Europe bias suppressor there and mail it home then to buy one here in the statesyes I know that's illegal and I would never do it but you can't tell me that they haven't sold enough suppressors at that price to pay for their software and their engineers

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by wraith1516 View Post
              seems like it would be literally cheaper to fly to Europe bias suppressor there and mail it home then to buy one here in the statesyes I know that's illegal and I would never do it but you can't tell me that they haven't sold enough suppressors at that price to pay for their software and their engineers
              Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
              We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Klem View Post
                I disagree......

Surefire is a case in point. For the torch and body technology extraordinarily overpriced. KAS, LaRue and Noveske are other examples. Quality parts underpinned by the capitalist profit imperative. If you are ever in New Zealand take a look at the equivalent suppressors. Almost no-name manufacturers who take what the local market can bear. Similar technology and components. Up to 50% less for a titanium can...but no logo.
                Nope, not the case with Surefire. Surefire is a MAJOR flashlight/weaponlight provider for the US military. Thus, their R&D is completely based on military contracts. They design and build with that in mind, have to pass the .gov requirements, then sell enough of the units to cover the cost to the government. Once that is done, they can sell them to the public....BUT there is this little caveat in government contracts that REQUIRES that they be the lowest price purchaser. So the public price is completely dependent on the unit price that Surefire determined was necessary to cover the government R&D costs and then charged the government plus whatever they determined their profit margin for the government contract to be. (At some point I've owned every Surefire flashlight available, at least until the newer LED models started appearing.)

It isn't just Surefire that faces this issue. Anyone doing business with the .gov entities is faced with the issue. LOTS of stuff ends up being overpriced in the civilian market when it comes to actual production costs because of that .gov clause. There is a time clause associated with it, but i can't recall what it is. 5 years after the last .gov purchase, or something like that.
                Last edited by bwaites; 03-29-2015, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• wraith1516
                  Warrior
                  • Dec 2014

seems to me that if they lowered the price they would sell a lot more units because quite honestly this is a major purchase for me I don't have a thousand dollars I can just pull out of my ass I've gotta save up for itand if they're selling that many wouldn't the a_t_f realize that their asinine fees and paperwork is just that asinine and outdated expecially since they are non elected bureaucratsand a huge waste of our tax dollars to pay their salaries

Comment

• bwaites
                    • Mar 2011

seems to me that if they lowered the price they would sell a lot more units because quite honestly this is a major purchase for me I don't have a thousand dollars I can just pull out of my ass I've gotta save up for itand if they're selling that many wouldn't the a_t_f realize that their asinine fees and paperwork is just that asinine and outdated expecially since they are non elected bureaucratsand a huge waste of our tax dollars to pay their salaries
                    ATF realize anything, you're joking, right? It's a government agency with no conscience!

Comment

• wraith1516
                      Warrior
                      • Dec 2014

you win on that point I'll give you that one but just like gas if it's $4 a gallon you don't drive much, but if it's $2 a gallon you're more likely to drive places thus selling more units but I do understand CORPORATE GREED seems to me that getting more suppressors in to more ppls hands would get more ppl interested and be easier to enact changein arcaic asinine outdated laws.a few voices so what , many voices they tend to listen just like the politicians in Colorado let them know we aren't going to just to say thank you master for the crumbs from your table btw sorry if I got to political for the place I posted this thread my original intention was to see if anybody had used huntertown arms suppressors

Comment

• NugginFutz
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

... btw sorry if I got to political for the place I posted this thread my original intention was to see if anybody had used huntertown arms suppressors
                        LOL

Don't sweat it, wraith1516. It's called a thread for a reason - that the single thought or idea can be woven through the fabric of (usually) contributing voices, in order to stimulate further discussion.

The idea of Supply and Demand is always worth visiting (in my book, anyway). The presence of the Feds in the sale of goods / services can always be counted upon to both hinder and burden.
                        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• wraith1516
                          Warrior
                          • Dec 2014

seriously though do you see my point about more people more voice is more change

Comment

• bwaites
                            • Mar 2011

seriously though do you see my point about more people more voice is more change
                            Of course, and on supply and demand you are also correct. Unfortunately, "We The People" stopped being that!

Comment

• wraith1516
                              Warrior
                              • Dec 2014

yes society has turned our children into helmet wearing germophobic sissified little babies that expect a trophy every time they do something

Comment

Working...
                              X