X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PA_Allen
    Warrior
    • Mar 2011

Folks, you should have no worries about the expansion and penetration characteristics of the 100 gr TTSX over normal hunting ranges. As StoneTower mentioned, I shoot them at 2775 fps mv out of my 20" CSS. 5 whitetails, 1 pronghorn, and 1 coyote all agree that the 100 ttsx is deadly. ( oh and several dead milk jugs). The TTSX has a much larger cavity in the front to initiate expansion. The plastic tip covers the big hollow point to aid BC and acts as a wedge to initiate expansion. My biggest endorsement is that I am shooting the same round this year. In fact I am headed to WY in a few weeks for "field test" on pronghorn.
    Best,
    PA

Comment

those barnes bullets look like amazing hunting rounds.

I couldn't find the info on their website about the proper velocities for expansion. With a 16" grendel, muzzle velocities aren't on my side.

Comment

Originally posted by QuadCam View Post
        ...With a 16" grendel, muzzle velocities aren't on my side.
        There may be hope for lighter bullets. Barnes offers one or two that appear to have been custom tailored for the 6.8 SPC.
        The reviews appear to be uniformly positive.

6.5 mm bullets with the same sectional density would weigh 77 gr for the 85 gr 6.8 and 86 gr for the 95 gr 6.8 SPC bullet. We can hope that Barnes is looking at an 85 to 90 gr TTSX Boattail in 6.5...

Comment

• toolsofthetrade
          Warrior
          • May 2011

My load is 31 gr of 8208XBR with a CCI Small rifle primers and AA Brass, this load is .2gr above max load, I am not getting any noticeable pressure signs.
          my barrel is a blackhole weaponry 20 standard profile.

Originally posted by StoneTower View Post
          What brand of barrel and how hot are they to hit 2900+?

I needed a hog load for a non-lead bullet in a hurry and PA_ALLEN was kind enough to share his load for the 100gr TTSX. I thought it was fast at 2775 from a 20" CSS tube. Are you seeing pressure signs with your load?

Comment

• stanc
            Banned
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
            There may be hope for lighter bullets. Barnes offers one or two that appear to have been custom tailored for the 6.8 SPC.

6.5 mm bullets with the same sectional density would weigh 77 gr for the 85 gr 6.8 and 86 gr for the 95 gr 6.8 SPC bullet. We can hope that Barnes is looking at an 85 to 90 gr TTSX Boattail in 6.5...
            Something to consider: 68forum members do a little more than hope when there is a product they'd like to see a manufacturer offer. They conduct e-mail campaigns, thereby informing the company of a demand for the new product.

"Hope Is Not a Method" ~ Gordon R. Sullivan, GEN, USA (Ret)

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stanc View Post
              Something to consider: 68forum members do a little more than hope when there is a product they'd like to see a manufacturer offer. They conduct e-mail campaigns, thereby informing the company of a demand for the new product.

"Hope Is Not a Method" ~ Gordon R. Sullivan, GEN, USA (Ret)
              Yep, and then they publish data that no manufacturer can duplicate...LOL!

Comment

• bwaites
                • Mar 2011

I understand....I was being a bit flippant. Most of us are very happy with the number of bullets we have. Heck, I have about 12 or 15 different projectiles loaded myself. I'm not really in need of anything else. The 100 grain TTSX will do the job on just about anything I could possibly need a bullet like that for, and I suspect that most members here feel the same way.

I simply don't need lighter bullets.

Comment

I was looking around on barnes' sitr and there is mention of a bullet called the mrx. Supposedely, it is designed to be more of a long range ttsx bullet and thusly is designed to fully expand at lower impact velocities. They don't currently offer a 6.5 mrx bullet, but it sounds like a 6.5 mrx would be perfect for the grendel velocities.

from the barnes FAQ:

""

Comment

You betcha!

A 115 or 120 gr MRX would be ideal. Given it's excellent high velocity performance, it might also work well of the .260 Rem, Creedmore, and 6.5X55 folks.

Any thoughts?

Comment

• BenchRider

I'll take 100 now for load development and accuracy testing. I'll take 5000 if they can do what the 123gr Amax's do out of my 28" barrel and have a better BC with a higher initial velocity.

Comment

• longdayjake

The 100 ttsx is easy to get past 2800 fps from a 20" barrel. I took an elk last year with the 100 grain TTSX. It is definately good enough to hunt deer with.

Comment

I've had really good luck using the 120 gr. Ttsx. I killed 7 deer last year with them with good results. All shots placed well, deer ran for a few yards and died. The farthest one ran was about 70 yds. Hit perfect, just behind the shoulder, took out both lungs and did extensive damage. Shot one deer at 220 yds that was almost walking directly away from me. Shot the deer just in front of right hind quarter and bullet exited out brisket. He only ran 20 yds or so and piled up. Plus I really like the sub moa groups they produce out of my gun. Using 27.8 gr. Of TAC

Comment

• sneaky one
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

338- I don't think I have any limitations. Last yr. I trimmed down a 120 Tsx, to 110gr. shot over 29.0 Tac. close to 2600fps. = awesome groups @50 & 100 y. I gave up on Barnes once the gmx came out. I load 95grn. gmx's to 2800 with x-terminater, with no pressure issues. Next powder for me to try will be imr 8208. I should hit 2950 plus. My 85 & 90 gmx should hit 3000fps. plus. Mimics the 243 & 257 roberts with their longer cases, yet the monolithic bullets will do anything a 20-30 gr, heavier lead core bullet will do. Both the gmx & barnys have the .100 jump to rifling issue, so I use mine for 200y. or less hunting, and hone the tip down .050 to load closer for better accuracy. Time for us all to tell the manufacturures what we would like to use for a grendel specific bullet. Lock and load.

Comment

Originally posted by JASmith View Post
                              You betcha!

A 115 or 120 gr MRX would be ideal. Given it's excellent high velocity performance, it might also work well of the .260 Rem, Creedmore, and 6.5X55 folks.

Any thoughts?
                              Just one. Don't look for a 115-120gr MRX anytime soon. Barnes has discontinued the MRX bullet all together.

Comment

Originally posted by mseric View Post
                                Just one. Don't look for a 115-120gr MRX anytime soon. Barnes has discontinued the MRX bullet all together.
                                I hadn't seen the announcement.

Was there a hint of the reason?
                                • Cost of manufuacturing for accuracy?
                                • Political sensitivity of heavy metals?
                                • Low customer interest?
                                • etc.?

Comment

Working...
                                X