What presses and dies are you using and general equipment recommendations.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sticks
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2016

Bushing dies if you are going for the most accuracy you can produce. .287 through .289 bushings (IIRC)

You can measure the thickness of your case necks, and the OD and do the math to get you a .003 neck tension, but just the same get the extra bushings one step above and one below you measurement.
    Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• cwlongshot
      Warrior
      • Mar 2018

I am not really actively searching... but keeping my eye open for one of these Reddings.

I have had two Lyman turrets and found them to flexible. But the design is just too convenient.

CW
      Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-21-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• centerfire
        Warrior
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Klem View Post
        Yes, I am aware of the obvious function of the retaining pins, which is to retain the case while it spins at speed.

What I am referring to is the other role of the retaining pin, which is to index the case at the edge of the bottom plate. I only have one Dillon plate which is 9mm. No doubt the diameters of plates vary depending on calibre. Given the holes the retaining pins sit in are fixed their button diameters will be different diameters to account for the different diameter bottom plates. This is how Dillon solves manufacturer-induced run out in a generic machine.

Your practise of raising the ram and screwing in the die's locking nut with a case in it might also help.

As I mentioned earlier, Dillon specifically instructs to tighten dies with cases in every station. Much the same as a single stage, the cases float in the shell plate so as long as the ram is square to the die there shouldn't be any additional runout. It's actually surprising how good the ammo coming out of a Dillon progressive press can be. There is a funnel die that can be substituted for the thrower so you can drop trickled charges one case at a time too.

Comment

• Goebela3
          Unwashed
          • Feb 2018

I just ordered the Co-Ax based on recommendations from here. What would you guys recommend for case trimmer, powder scale, and dies? Would prefer something nice that I could fairly easily change calibers on

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Goebela3 View Post
            I just ordered the Co-Ax based on recommendations from here. What would you guys recommend for case trimmer, powder scale, and dies? Would prefer something nice that I could fairly easily change calibers on
            Gb:

With the Co Ax you can easily change dies so changing calibers is not an issue. Just note that some collars for dies are too thick for the Co Ax. I can't recall the manufacturer but I am sure others here know which ones are too thick.

Having been through it before, I recommend you go to a gun show and buy a used trimmer. You will normally get them at less than half the price of a new one. Any of the trimmers that use pilots and are hand turned will be fine. The Lapua Grendel brass needs trimming about once in its life --which is upwards of twenty shots. So you won't be trimming brass too often and don't spend a bundle on a trimmer.

Do buy a decent scale. I recommend a electronic one over a balance beam scale. I imagine most of the electronic scales are made by the same manufacturer but do buy one of the mid priced ones and not a cheapo. Look at the ones Dillon sells. Have had mine for twenty plus years and although you have to re-zero it frequently when in use, a electronic scale is way, way, faster than a balance beam scale.

Dies -- get bushing dies. Redding was the fist to make them commercially for the Grendel. Expensive for a set of Redding bushing dies but you will never regret it.

You need to do a search on trimmers, dies, scales. All have been discussed on the forum over and over again.

LR55

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Gb:

With the Co Ax you can easily change dies so changing calibers is not an issue. Just note that some collars for dies are too thick for the Co Ax. I can't recall the manufacturer but I am sure others here know which ones are too thick.

Having been through it before, I recommend you go to a gun show and buy a used trimmer. You will normally get them at less than half the price of a new one. Any of the trimmers that use pilots and are hand turned will be fine. The Lapua Grendel brass needs trimming about once in its life --which is upwards of twenty shots. So you won't be trimming brass too often and don't spend a bundle on a trimmer.

Do buy a decent scale. I recommend a electronic one over a balance beam scale. I imagine most of the electronic scales are made by the same manufacturer but do buy one of the mid priced ones and not a cheapo. Look at the ones Dillon sells. Have had mine for twenty plus years and although you have to re-zero it frequently when in use, a electronic scale is way, way, faster than a balance beam scale.

Dies -- get bushing dies. Redding was the fist to make them commercially for the Grendel. Expensive for a set of Redding bushing dies but you will never regret it.

You need to do a search on trimmers, dies, scales. All have been discussed on the forum over and over again.

LR55

Comment

• Goebela3
                Unwashed
                • Feb 2018

I got a used trimmer off arfcom and got a RCBS chargemasted since they have a $100 rebate going on right now. I am looking at bushing dies by redding, but there appears to be a lot of options. I want a full length die and was looking at the 2 die set from them "6.5mm Grendel Type S Match Bushing Full Length Die Set" looks like they are about $180. Are those the ones you are talking about?

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

I got a used trimmer off arfcom and got a RCBS chargemasted since they have a $100 rebate going on right now. I am looking at bushing dies by redding, but there appears to be a lot of options. I want a full length die and was looking at the 2 die set from them "6.5mm Grendel Type S Match Bushing Full Length Die Set" looks like they are about $180. Are those the ones you are talking about?
                  Gb:

Yes, bushing full length sizing die. Can never remember the bushing sizes I have but someone else can tell you. I think mine are .285, .286, and .287. Don't quote me so wait until someone else chimes in before buying.

If you have not yet dropped the money on the Charge Master, I advise you buy a very good powder measure (Harrell is the best I know of) and a good electronic scale instead.

You will find that those automatic dispensers are tediously slow and are utterly unnecessary when using ball powders or fine stick powders. A good powder measure will throw ball powder for a Grendel (about 30 grains) so uniformly that you do not need to worry about the huge variances in weight that we used to have with the old 4064 powder in a 30-06 or .308 for example.

LR55

Comment

• Goebela3
                    Unwashed
                    • Feb 2018

I already ordered the chargemaster, I will probably get a good powder measure down the road. Thanks for the advice, this is all very confusing getting started.

Comment

• Sticks
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2016

I use a simple Lee powder throw and a trickler on a scale that goes to .02 gr. The Lee, once I get it dialed, will throw consistently within .4 of target, then the trickler for the rest.

The Type S - Best to measure your brass case wall thickness at the neck, then do the math. My bushings are .286, .287, .288. I settled on .287 for .003 neck tension (Hornady Brass) for my ARs, and there is no bullet movement under free bolt travel. I could probably go with .001 for the Howa loading, but I worry about a dropped ammo box or rough handling causing movement.
                      Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• trapjack
                        Unwashed
                        • Apr 2018

My son is just starting to build a Grendel but since I'm the reloader in the family I'm looking up things for him. Question on trimming cases. I saw in an earlier post that somebody mentioned Little Crow to trim cases but didn't think it would be needed with the Grendel. Is this true? In the past I have always used a file and Redding form & trim dies for my different calibers but they don't make one for the Grendel. What do you guys use?

Comment

• Kswhitetails
                          Chieftain
                          • Oct 2016

Most Grendel shooters I correspond with say trimming once to minimum would create 10+ loadings in their experience before required again. Grendel is surprisingly mild when loaded correctly, the brass doesn't grow much if any.
                          Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• trapjack
                            Unwashed
                            • Apr 2018

Thanks. Once I get some virgin brass I'll check it for length and then decide how soon I may have to get a trimmer.

Comment

• Sticks
                              Chieftain
                              • Dec 2016

The Little Crow trimmer is inexpensive and works as designed. Worth the investment since you can get different caliber inserts to diversify it's use.
                              Sticks

Catchy sig line here.

Comment

• tangodown
                                Bloodstained
                                • Apr 2018

For pistol and Ar15 cambered ammunition I use automated 1050 Dillons. For long range I use RCBS single stage and RCBS turret presses. For my long range ammunition I use CH4D die sets. For the AR and pistols I use Dillon die sets. I have a concrete mixer that I clean my brass in and small tumblers I do a final clean after I load.

Comment

Working...
                                X