Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sniper20 View Post
    mseric,

I think your difference is in the politics. I have run across the same issues in the past with powders, and I have actually seen the exact same manual (different edition) have the exact same load data with lower charge recommendations. I contacted the company to see why this was, and they, in a turnabout way, told me that it's pretty much for legal liability purposes... If someone reports that they loaded the max load, but still within the manual, and the gun blew up on them or something, then the company can be held liable for that because they printed it.

So this might be the same case, and it's two different companies, but one is more "cautious" than the other in the data release... I would assume its a CYA for the company...
    Thanks. Actually it's only one company. Ramshot and Accurate are owned by Western Powders and Johan Loubser is the head ballistician for both.

Comment

Originally posted by mseric View Post
      Thanks. Actually it's only one company. Ramshot and Accurate are owned by Western Powders and Johan Loubser is the head ballistician for both.
      Hmmm. I wonder if they have two different depts that print their books? Or is their makeup of the powder enough at the magnified level to make a difference???

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
        It's the same powder- out of same giant jug-barrel ( marketing strategies, they spoke of )== load as same as , they said to me . X-term is a great powder. Way clean, easy to dial in, find the top end. ,,, and it's accurate too.
        sneaky
        without looking isn't TAC and X-term really close in burn rate being TAC a slight bit faster (almost to the point of only backing off a grain or two from X-term data on the Grendel)

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

S-murf, No! .x -term and 2230 are the same, as told to me fom the guys at ramshot. Tac is slower than those 2. - Tac is faster - a-pinch- than 2520. They stated it would take more Tac to reach certain velocity levels obtained with x-term- but the pressure would be too high. - Always back off from x-term down to tac by at least 3 grains of powder.-------- BUT, DO NOT TRY TO FIGURE THIS OUT BY-YOURSELF !!! YOU HAVE NO ACCESS TO PRESSURE TESTING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU??? More Tac than suggested will blow up you and your gun, don't rely on burn rates alone. Do a sh-t ton of research before you load off on your own.... I load only Tac for all my plinking bullets- 100-140 grns. In fact I use x-term only for my gmx hunt loads, and 85-100 grn. other bullets.,, yet that may change soon if I get a LB. of xbr-8208 to test out soon. Be safe, not sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by sneaky one View Post
            S-murf, No! .x -term and 2230 are the same, as told to me fom the guys at ramshot. Tac is slower than those 2. - Tac is faster - a-pinch- than 2520. They stated it would take more Tac to reach certain velocity levels obtained with x-term- but the pressure would be too high. - Always back off from x-term down to tac by at least 3 grains of powder.-------- BUT, DO NOT TRY TO FIGURE THIS OUT BY-YOURSELF !!! YOU HAVE NO ACCESS TO PRESSURE TESTING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU??? More Tac than suggested will blow up you and your gun, don't rely on burn rates alone. Do a sh-t ton of research before you load off on your own.... I load only Tac for all my plinking bullets- 100-140 grns. In fact I use x-term only for my gmx hunt loads, and 85-100 grn. other bullets.,, yet that may change soon if I get a LB. of xbr-8208 to test out soon. Be safe, not sorry.
            Sneaky actually When using TAC I do use some data for that powder and componets that some have supplied on the old site and back off 10% or so.
            I was trying to recall which one was faster which I did look at the burn rate listing from Ramshot after post then reliezed I had the rate backwards.
            I have even used 10x with some 120's the results was flattening of the primers a bit (AA Brass) thus discarded the receipe.
            I like the 2520 which I like just have not tried X-Term yet however the claims of clean burning has really have my attention 2520 is a bit dirty even though I like the results.
            During my post I did recall that the data for X-term and TAC are not a direct interchange but usually are within 2-3 grs.
            Your advice is solid for those thinking that I was avocating interchanging the data
            as usual thanks for your post
            Reguards

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

From Johan Loubser in 2009:

and RS-X-Terminator is slightly faster burning than A-2520"

Johan made the following recommendation for 129SST:

Caliber: 6.5 Grendel.
              Barrel length

Bullet weight: 129 grains.

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

I got this from Johan a couple weeks ago.

www.accuratepowder.com and www.ramshot.com

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Whether they are identical or merely "very close to each other", is there any reason to go with X-Terminator over A-2230?

Johan recommended A-2230 for a 20" barrel...would it be different for a 14.5" barrel?
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
                  X